Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of IndyFab's message #15985615 « Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit?? »

IndyFab
Upload & Sell: Off
Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit??

stanj wrote:
The fact that it gobbles all the frames into one monstrous CR3 file, that no other software knows anything about and you're forced to use DPP to extract EVERY. SINGLE. FRAME. MANUALLY. through the absolutely ugly "workflow" is incredibly unproductive. Why not save 60 raw files right off bat? Can't wait for someone to come up with a command line tool to split them up...

---------------------------------------------

Vince Maidens wrote:
It is a crap workflow, and hopefully Adobe will work to support it, however I can see some value in it with say shooting a really high speed subject that gives no tell on what it's about to do. Say a Kingfisher, the bird gives no sense of flight it just does, so having it in the pocket for a situation where you want a launch then it might be very useful.

Other than a situation like that, I can't see using it much in it's current state.

---------------------------------------------

jedibrain wrote:
Seems like its recording a video of sorts and just dumping the last x seconds of buffer to a file.

I'm wondering if they'll institute something like this via firmware on the R5/6? For me at least it wouldn't be something regularly used, but it would be interesting. I'm not going to complain too loud about curious workflow to extract pictures the camera took for me before I knew I needed to take them.

-Brian

Overall it seems to be a nice new feature, but not very user friendly to activate fast. Maybe there is a workaround yet to be discovered, or a firmware update that will resolve activation, as you cant program it to a dial or button. .

Another issue is you have to use Canon software at this time to extract the Roll to get to the CR3 files you want, hopefully, eventually you will be able to use other software editors to do that. Once again more steps to get to your CR3 file.

On a scale of 1-10 a 5 for user friendly. The best thing I could see it for is, when your waiting for a bird to fly from a perch, you will get that series of shots, so long as you keep that shutter 1/2 down prior to releasing shutter it will grab 15 sec's .

Overall it just needs to be improved and made user friendly !!

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:02 PM

Previous versions of IndyFab's message #15985615 « Canon R7 - RAW BURST MODE - 1/2 Second Pre-shoot for Wildlife Photography - Gimmick?? or Legit?? »