Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of POTOMAN's message #15983218 « 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed? »

POTOMAN
Upload & Sell: Off
5DC Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed?

AmbientMike wrote:
I'd probably go with the Ee-s if you have 1.4 but here's Ee-d. Probably lots on ebay

https://www.samys.com/p/Pre-Owned-Accessories-and-Lighting//Canon-Ee-D-Focusing-Screen-for-EOS-5D---Pre-Owned/244145.html

Unfortunately that is an Ee-D with the grid, I need the standard Ee-S. I have searched ebay and found nothing, maybe I'm searching wrong?

Question regarding the Ee-S though. Yes, I have a 50mm 1.4 and plan to use that and will replace it with a 50mm 1.2 in the future. I do not manual focus however. I always use autofocus (centre spot and recompose). Is there any benefit to the Ee-s when only using autofocus? I know it will dim the viewfinder, which I'm not a fan of.

I actually have a brand new one (Ee-S) I bought back when I bought the 5DC 5 years ago. I then re-read about it and realized it was mainly for manual focusing and I thought I bought it in error. It's still in the box.

---------------------------------------------

EB-1 wrote:
I can't find anything from Canon on the 5DC. Is that an astro model?

I agree with buying a fine-condition copy of any hard-to-find obsolete product rather than spending a lot of time repairing a damaged one.

EBH

5DC is an unofficial name, it stands for 5D classic, sometimes posted as 5Dc. Basically a 5D "Mark I", the first 5D.

Not really a lot of time/money. All the camera needed was new batteries from sitting and then I went ahead and damaged the focusing screen. It's really a straight forward and cheap part to replace. Camera is like new and fuctions fine otherwise. If it needed serious repair I wouldn't put any money into it. Problem is I can't seem to find the focusing screen anywhere.

Jul 03, 2022 at 04:16 PM

Previous versions of POTOMAN's message #15983218 « 5D Focusing Screen Scratched, Am I Screwed? »