Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of BastianK's message #15851601 « New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022 »

BastianK
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Fred Miranda wrote:
BastianK wrote:
Doesn't look perfectly centered to me either, already had that feeling in the hydrant shot.
Most likely as good as one can expect of an f/1.0 lens though.

I did a centering test at infinity and it is well centered.

With a lens like this (very high optical vignetting) I was always of the opinion that placing a subject in the midframe area
- where there is also the biggest drop in sharpness - would be the right thing to do as a centering test.
But it comes with a plethora of additional issues, like finding the same exact position relative to the center in all 4 quadrants, so I never did it myself either.
And I think the "corner" decentering test will still be able to sort out the real lemons.

Nervertheless, I think it is the same effect you described about the VM 50mm 1.2, saying there were samples that seemed well centered but some with issues in the midfield area and some without (or less).

Here I also see noticeably more coma/astigmatism in picture 4 vs picture 3.
But for an f/1.0 lens, I also think this is in the margin of being very much acceptable.

Feb 03, 2022 at 11:12 AM
BastianK
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022

Fred Miranda wrote:
BastianK wrote:
Doesn't look perfectly centered to me either, already had that feeling in the hydrant shot.
Most likely as good as one can expect of an f/1.0 lens though.

I did a centering test at infinity and it is well centered.

With a lens like this (very high optical vignetting) I was always of the opinion that placing a subject in the midframe area
- where there is also the biggest drop in sharpness - would be the right thing to do as a centering test.
But it comes with a plethora of additional issues, like finding the same exact position relative to the center in all 4 quadrants, so I never did it myself either.
And I think the "corner" decentering test will still be able to sort out the real lemons.

Nervertheless, I think it is the same effect you described about the VM 50mm 1.2, saying there were samples that seemed well centered but some with issues in the midfield area and some without (or less).

For an f/1.0 lens, I also still think this is in the margin of being very much acceptable.

Feb 03, 2022 at 11:09 AM

Previous versions of BastianK's message #15851601 « New Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton in January 2022 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.