Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Ayoul's message #15811867 « Personal review of DXO Photolab 5 »

Ayoul
Upload & Sell: Off
Personal review of DXO Photolab 5

CONCLUSION

DXO PHOTOLAB 5 is a strange beast.

I wouldn't count on it to manage my pictures as a DAM, even if they tried recently to do better in this area. It's just too little too late for me.

It has the most clever implementation of color rendering that I've seen in a consumer software, and some good neutral color profiles, but DXO almost never talk about it. Its denoising ability is in my opinion the best of the industry, end of story. In the meantime, the inferface is confusing and some basic tools (horizon, crop) are very odly implemented. Third party support is far from ideal. Your personal ICC profiles will have bugs, external presets are almost non-existent, their clever color profiles can't be found in any folder.

The good news is : you can use DPL5 for one of its biggest strengths, (denoising, sharpening, and optical corrections) and use a perfect linear DNG file inside LR or C1 if you prefer to do it that way. Don't buy PureRaw if you want to do that, DPL5 is worth the few $ more.

Their commercial strategy relies on several products, sometimes artificially linked together. If you want every tool available inside your DPL5, you will have to buy FilmPack and Viewpoint as well. For a first entrence inside the DXO world, it's very expensive. Less so if you already have FilmPack and ViewPoint. DXO doesn't release a new version of them every year like DPL, so it won't be that expensive in the long term.

I like it despite its flaws, and strongly encourage everyone to at least try the free version (30 days). Its main strengths gives very flattering results and it can make a picture shine in a few clicks. However, pro users who deal with thousands of pictures every week will probably find its interface limitating. DPL5 is my candy. Sometimes I just open a picture with it from any raw file found on the web, just to see how nice the colors are, how clean the picture is with deep prime, how usable everything is without calibrating, profiling, correcting anything myself. It's worth a look, and more than that.

End of my review !

Sep 07, 2022 at 01:16 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

I wouldn't count on it to manage my pictures as a DAM, even if they tried recently to do better in this area. It's just too little too late for me.

It has the most clever implementation of color rendering that I've seen in a consumer software, and some good neutral color profiles, but DXO almost never talk about it. Its denoising ability is in my opinion the best of the industry, end of story. In the meantime, the inferface is confusing and some basic tools (horizon, crop) are very odly implemented. Third party support is far from ideal. Your personal ICC profiles will have bugs, external presets are almost non-existent, their clever color profiles can't be found in any folder.

The good news is : you can use DPL5 for one of its biggest strengths, (denoising, sharpening, and optical corrections) and use a perfect linear DNG file inside LR or C1 if you prefer to do it that way. Don't buy PureRaw if you want to do that, DPL5 is worth the few $ more.

Their commercial strategy relies on several products, sometimes artificially linked together. If you want every tool available inside your DPL5, you will have to buy FilmPack and Viewpoint as well. For a first entrence inside the DXO world, it's very expensive. Less so if you already have FilmPack and ViewPoint. DXO doesn't release a new version of them every year like DPL, so it won't be that expensive in the long term.

I like it despite its flaws, and strongly encourage everyone to at least try the free version (30 days). Its main strengths gives very flattering results and it can make a picture shine in a few clicks. However, pro users who deal with thousands of pictures every week will probably find its interface limitating. DPL5 is my candy. Sometimes I just open a picture with it from any raw file found on the web, just to see how nice the colors are, how clean the picture is with deep prime, how usable everything is without calibrating, profiling, correcting anything myself. It's worth a look, and more than that.

End of my review !

Sep 07, 2022 at 01:15 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

End of my review !

Ayoul

CONCLUSION

End of my review !

Ayoul

CONCLUSION

End of my review !

Sep 07, 2022 at 01:14 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

End of my review !

Sep 07, 2022 at 01:14 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

End of my review !

Sep 07, 2022 at 01:13 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

The good news is : you can use DPL5 for one of its biggest strengths, denoising, and use a perfect linear DNG file inside LR or C1 if you prefer to do it that way. Don't buy PureRaw if you want to do that, DPL5 is worth the few $ more.

I like it despite its flaws, and strongly encourage everyone to at least try the free version (30 days). Its main strengths gives very flattering results and it can make a picture shine in a few clicks. However, pro users who deal with thousands of pictures every week will probably find its interface limitating. DPL5 is my candy. Sometimes I just open a picture with it from any raw file found on the web, just to see how nice the colors are, how clean the picture is with deepprime, how usable everything is without calibrating, profiling, correcting anything myself. It's worth a look, and more than that.

End of my review !

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:14 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

The good news is : you can use DPL5 for one of its biggest strengths, denoising, and use a perfect linear DNG file inside LR or C1 if you prefer to do it that way. Don't buy PureRaw if you want to do that, DPL5 is worth the few $ more.

Their commercial strategy relies on several products, sometimes artificially linked together. If you want every tool available inside your DPL5, you will have to buy FilmPack and Viewpoint as well. For a first entrence inside the DXO world, it's very expensive. Less so if you already have FilmPack and ViewPoint. DXO doesn't release a new version of them every year like DPL, so it won't be that expansive in the long term.

I like it despite its flaws, and strongly encourage everyone to at least try the free version (30 days). Its main strengths gives very flattering results and it can make a picture shine in a few clicks. However, pro users who deal with thousands of pictures every week will probably find its interface limitating. DPL5 is my candy. Sometimes I just open a picture with it from any raw file found on the web, just to see how nice the colors are, how clean the picture is with deepprime, how usable everything is without calibrating, profiling, correcting anything myself. It's worth a look, and more than that.

End of my review !

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:13 PM
Ayoul

CONCLUSION

Their commercial strategy relies on several products, sometimes artificially linked together. If you want every tool available inside your DPL5, you will have to buy FilmPack and Viewpoint as well. For a first entrence inside the DXO world, it's very expensive. Less so if you already have already FilmPack and ViewPoint. DXO don't release a new version of them every year like DPL, so it won't be that expansive in the long term.

End of my review !

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:12 PM
Ayoul
Re: Personal review of DXO Photolab 5

CONCLUSION

Their commercial strategy relies on several products, sometimes artificially linked together. If you want every tool available inside your DPL5, you will have to buy FilmPack and Viewpoint as well. For a first entrence inside the DXO world, it's very expensive. Less so if you already have already FilmPack and ViewPoint. DXO don't release a new version of them every year like DPL, so it won't be that expansive in the long term.

End of my review !

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:08 PM

Previous versions of Ayoul's message #15811867 « Personal review of DXO Photolab 5 »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.