Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Ayoul's message #15811796 « Personal review of DXO Photolab 5 »

Ayoul
Upload & Sell: Off
Personal review of DXO Photolab 5

DETAILS PALETTE:

There is a repair tool, always nice to have. Red eye, Moire are there as well.

---------------------------

Chromatic aberrations :
I've not tried intensively this tool. All I can say is that you can't choose which color has to me removed, like you can manually in LR. I think that the LR tool is the best of the three software, but CA are not an obsession for me, so I didn't extensively compared them. All I know is that the "defringe" tool that you can apply on the brush in LR allows a lot of things, even if it can destroys real colors as well, and it has no real equivalence in DPL5 and C1, as far as I know.

Noise Reduction :
One of the stars in the DXO world.
Three options here :

High Quality, which is in fact the lowest quality. Honnestly ? I think that it's already better than what you can find in LR and C1.

The old Prime, which was already very good.

The new Deep Prime. It's more than very good, it's mindblowing, and I don't use that word often. I even use it on low iso pictures. Because it prevent noise from showing up if you increase shadows, it prevent noise from showing up in large areas (ex, skies) where it can be seen before you can see it in detailed structures. The way DXO handles both the luminance and the chrominance noise is incredible. The way it maintains good colors at high isos is incredible. I won't in fact talk a lot about Deep Prime, because it's one of the areas of DPL5 that is already covered a lot. 2 sliders : luminance and dead pixels. Play with them if you want.

I won't give you some screenshots, the value of DXO Deep Prime has been debated, evaluated all around the web. Just try and compare with your current software

Instead of comparing pictures at 200%, let's talk about how to use it in interaction with other softwares, because it doesn't seem crystal clear for everyone.

DXO released Pure Raw because of Deep Prime. Pure Raw is some kind of DPL5 light, focused on the denoising and sharpening only, without the interface that makes it a real independant software. I don't think that Pure Raw is really worth it. I tried it for free, but didn't buy it (I already had DPL5). Find a good deal for DPL5 and you're done. Some users have reported slight color shift when they have compared their raw files to the DNG files from Pure Raw. I don't know where it comes from, but there is nothing like that in DPL5.

As long as you export your file in "DNG Denoise and optical corrections only", I think that you have nothing to worry about. I have yet to see a significant difference in the color/tone rendering of a raw file in LR/C1 and the same picture converted in DNG using DPL5.

Yes, you can use on your DNG file any ICC profile in C1 or DCP profile in LR. It will work like a raw.

Yes, you can do in DPL5 everything that you can do in PureRaw, and of course way more.

The only slight inconvenience is that the white balance on your DNG is not the same as the one of your raw file. Not on the picture itself (they are identical by default), but on the values displayed on the WB sliders. There is a slight shift. I don't know why, but it's the second reason why I even use it on low iso files. If I change the WB on my files, I don't want to spend some time to find out which WB on my 1600 isos DNG file will match the white balance of the 800 ISO Raw taken at the same location with the same light.

Use Deep Prime, sharpen up your picture if you want to (more on that later), export it in the DNG mode that I mentionned, Import the DNG in your favorite software and finish the job. DPL5 also automatically install a plug in for LR, it can be convenient if you want to convert only one picture. You can access it by using File -> plug in extra. Don't use "Edit with Dxo Photolab", it will convert your file into a tiff before sending it to DPL5, ruining the whole concept.

LR and C1 handles DNG files very well. For other software, I'm less sure. Rawtherapee doesn't. RT displays the picture, but there are huge color shifts, from what I saw. Maybe there is a workaround, something to activate or deactivate to make it work, I don't know. I never intensively tried recently with other softwares, so I don't remember very well if it works or not.

Lens sharpness :
Theses sliders are one of the reasons some people don't like Pure Raw. If DXO has calibrated your couple camera + lens, then DPL5 will by default activate this "lens sharpness" tool. It's not magic but it works well. It sharpens more the borders and the corners than the center if your lens is considered weaker in this area (as we know, they all are to different degrees). There is a details slider that you can push (I think that its purpose is self explanatory). The "bokeh" slider is nice, it protects large areas without details from the sharpening which, as we know, increase noise.

So what's the problem then ? In their will to make any picture spectacular without effort, DXO oversharpens by default it you don't touch the sliders. We can debate for hours about sharpening, correct sharpening, oversharpening. Let's say that for a majority of users, they seem to have a heavy hand on this tool. You can of course reduce its strength in DPL5. From what I know, you can't in PureRaw, you just toggle it on or off. It's not ideal.

What if your lens is not recognized by DXO ? You still have an unsharp mask and the possibility to sharpen more the borders/corners.

Dec 29, 2021 at 06:15 PM
Ayoul

DETAILS PALETTE:

Chromatic aberrations :
I've not tried intensively this tool. All I can say is that you can't choose which color has to me removed, like you can manually in LR. I think that the LR tool is the best of the three software, but CA are not an obsession for me, so I didn't extensively compared them. All I know is that the "defringe" tool that you can apply on the brush in LR allows a lot of things, even if it can destroys real colors as well, and it has no real equivalence in DPL5 and C1, as far as I know.

Noise Reduction :
Three options here :

High Quality, which is in fact the lowest quality. Honnestly ? I think that it's already better than what you can find in LR and C1.

The new Deep Prime. It's more than very good, it's mindblowing, and I don't use that word often. I even use it on low iso pictures. Because it prevent noise from showing up if you increase shadows, it prevent noise from showing up in large areas (ex, skies) where it can be seen before you can see it in detailed structures. The way DXO handles both the luminance and the chrominance noise is incredible. The way it maintains good colors at high isos is incredible. I won't in fact talk a lot about Deep Prime, because it's one of the areas of DPL5 that is already covered a lot. 2 sliders : luminance and dead pixels. Play with them if you want.

I won't give you some screenshots, the value of DXO Deep Prime has been debated, evaluated all around the web. Just try and compare with your current software

Instead of comparing pictures at 200%, let's talk about how to use it in interaction with other softwares, because it doesn't seem crystal clear for everyone.

DXO released Pure Raw because of Deep Prime. Pure Raw is some kind of DPL5 light, focused on the denoising and sharpening only, without the interface that makes it a real independant software. I don't think that Pure Raw is really worth it. I tried it for free, but didn't buy it (I already had DPL5). Find a good deal for DPL5 and you're done. Some users have reported slight color shift when they have compared their raw files to the DNG files from Pure Raw. I don't know where it comes from, but there is nothing like that in DPL5.

As long as you export your file in "DNG Denoise and optical corrections only", I think that you have nothing to worry about. I have yet to see a significant difference in the color/tone rendering of a raw file in LR/C1 and the same picture converted in DNG using DPL5.

Yes, you can use on your DNG file any ICC profile in C1 or DCP profile in LR. It will work like a raw.

Yes, you can do in DPL5 everything that you can do in PureRaw, and of course way more.

The only slight inconvenience is that the white balance on your DNG is not the same as the one of your raw file. Not on the picture itself (they are identical by default), but on the values displayed on the WB sliders. There is a slight shift. I don't know why, but it's the second reason why I even use it on low iso files. If I change the WB on my files, I don't want to spend some time to find out which WB on my 1600 isos DNG file will match the white balance of the 800 ISO Raw taken at the same location with the same light.

Use Deep Prime, sharpen up your picture if you want to (more on that later), export it in the DNG mode that I mentionned, Import the DNG in your favorite software and finish the job. DPL5 also automatically install a plug in for LR, it can be convenient if you want to convert only one picture. You can access it by using File -> plug in extra. Don't use "Edit with Dxo Photolab", it will convert your file into a tiff before sending it to DPL5, ruining the whole concept.

LR and C1 handles DNG files very well. For other software, I'm less sure. Rawtherapee doesn't. RT displays the picture, but there are huge color shifts, from what I saw. Maybe there is a workaround, something to activate or deactivate to make it work, I don't know. I never intensively tried recently with other softwares, so I don't remember very well if it works or not.

Lens sharpness :
Theses sliders are one of the reasons some people don't like Pure Raw. If DXO has calibrated your couple camera + lens, then DPL5 will by default activate this "lens sharpness" tool. It's not magic but it works well. It sharpens more the borders and the corners than the center if your lens is considered weaker in this area (as we know, they all are to different degrees). There is a details sliders that you can push (I think that its purpose is self explanatory). The "bokeh" slider is nice, it protects large areas without details from the sharpening which, as we know, increase noise.

So what's the problem then ? In their will to make any picture spectacular without effort, DXO oversharpens by default it you don't touch the sliders. We can debate for hours about sharpening, correct sharpening, oversharpening. Let's say that for a majority of users, they seem to have a heavy hand on this tool. You can of course reduce its strength in DPL5. From what I know, you can't in PureRaw, you just toggle it on or off. It's not ideal.

What if your lens is not recognized by DXO ? You still have an unsharp mask and the possibility to sharpen more the borders/corners.

Dec 29, 2021 at 06:13 PM
Ayoul

DETAILS PALETTE:

Chromatic aberrations :

Noise Reduction :
Three options here :

As long as you export your file in "DNG Denoise and optical corrections only", I think that you have nothing to worry about. I have yet to see a significant difference in the color/tone rendering of a raw file in LR/C1 and the same pictures converted in DNG using DPL5.

Lens sharpness :
Theses sliders are one of the reasons some people don't like Pure Raw. If DXO has calibrated your couple camera + lens, then DPL5 will by default activate this "lens sharpness" tool. It's not magic but it works well. It sharpens more the borders and the corners than the center if your lens is considered weaker in this area (as we know, they all are to different degrees). There is a details sliders that you can push (I think that its purpose is self explanatory). The "bokeh" slider is nice, it protects large areas without details from the sharpening which, as we know, increase noise.

Dec 29, 2021 at 06:12 PM
Ayoul

DETAILS PALETTE:

Chromatic aberrations :

Noise Reduction :
Three options here :

The new Deep Prime. It's more than very good, it's mindblowing, and I don't use that word often. I even use it on low iso pictures. Because it prevent noise from showing up if you increase shadows, it prevent noise from showing up in large areas (ex, skyes) where it can be seen before you can see it in detailed structures. The way DXO handles both the luminance and the chrominance noise is incredible. The way it maintains good colors at high isos is incredible. I won't in fact talk a lot about Deep Prime, because it's one of the areas of DPL5 that is already covered a lot. 2 sliders : luminance and dead pixels. Play with them if you want.

As long as you export your file in "DNG Denoise and optical corrections only", I think that you have nothing to worry about. I have yet to see a significant difference in the color/tone rendering of a raw file in LR/C1 and the same pictures converted in DNG using DPL5.

Lens sharpness :

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:25 PM
Ayoul

DETAILS PALETTE:

Chromatic aberrations :

Noise Reduction :
Three options here :

The new Deep Prime. It's more than very good, it's mindblowing, and I don't use that word often. I even use it on low iso pictures. Because it prevent noise from showing up if you increase shadows, it prevent noise from showing up in large areas (ex, skyes) where it can be seen before you can see it in detailed structures. The way DXO handles both the luminance and the chrominance noise is incredible. The way it maintains good colors at high isos is incredible. I won't in fact talk a lot about Deep Prime, because it's one of the areas of DPL5 that is already covered a lot. 2 sliders : luminance and dead pixels. Play with them if you want.

Lens sharpness :

Dec 29, 2021 at 03:16 PM

Previous versions of Ayoul's message #15811796 « Personal review of DXO Photolab 5 »