Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Ayoul's message #15811750 « Personal review of DXO Photolab 5 »

Ayoul
Upload & Sell: Off
Personal review of DXO Photolab 5

INTERFACE AND CUSTOMIZATION

How does it look when you open it, and what can you change ?

At the top left, two main items : Photolibrary, and Customize. Lr users won't be disoriented.

In Photolibrary mode, nothing spectacular or illogic :

on the left : your folders, "projects" (collections in LR or C1 world), external selections (files previously opened in DPL5 using another software)

in the middle : a slideshow of the pictures of the opened folder

On the right side : metadata, iptc and keywords.

In Customize (equivalent to Develop for LR users), things are obviously more complex.

DXO STANDARD VS DXO ADVANCED
You have access to 2 slightly different interfaces inside DXO, called DXO standard and DXO advanced. The differences are not huge and I'm not sure that it's relevant from DXO to keep them both.

In both modes, you can access to several "palettes" of tools (DXO naming, so let's embrace it) called Light, Colors, Details, Geometry, Local adjustments, Watermarks and effects. Each palette includes what you can expect to find based on their name. If you click on the "light" symbol, this is what you get :

Things are a little bit different if you don't click on any palette on top. In DXO advanced, you will have access to all of the palette and tools in one row. In DXO standard, you will have access to only some basic tools, viewpoint and filmpack if you own them.

DXO Advanced :

DXO Standard :

What about customization ? You have 2 ways of making your own list of tools.

You can put each tool into a "Favorite" palette. Not bad. But be warned. Inside Favorite, and likewise inside all Palettes, you can't change the order of the tools. For instance, in the "Light" category, "Exposure" is in the middle. That's it. You can't move it. I like it to be on top, but you can't do that here.

Luckily for us, you can create what DXO call a "user palette", but visible only if you don't click on any palette on top (yeah, I know, it's tricky)

You can put whatever tool you want inside, and reorgnize them as you like, moving them from top to bottom.

You can put this palette on the left side of the screen if you like.

For me, DXO Advanced + a good personal user palette is the optimal way to use DXO for an advanced user.

I don't see any real value for the Favorite section vs the more usefull Personal palette, and for the DXO standard vs the DXO advanced

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:16 PM
Ayoul
Personal review of DXO Photolab 5

At the top left, two main items : Photolibrary, and Customize. Lr users won't be disoriented.

on the left : your folders, "projects" (collections in LR or C1 world), external selections (files previously opened in DPL5 using another software)

In Customize (equivalent to Develop for LR users), things are obviously more complex.

You have access to 2 slightly different interfaces inside DXO, called DXO standard and DXO advanced. The differences are not huge and I'm not sure that it's relevant from DXO to keep them both.

In both modes, you can access to several "palettes" of tools (DXO naming, so let's embrace it) called Light, Colors, Details, Geometry, Local adjustments, Watermarks and effects. Each palette includes what you can expect to find base on their name. If you click on the "light" symbol, this is what you get :

Things are a little bit different if you don't click on any palette on top. In DXO advanced, you will have access to all of the palette and tools in one row. In DXO standard, you will have access to only some basic tools, viewpoint and filmpack if you own them.

DXO Advanced :

DXO Standard :

You can put each tool into a "Favorite" palette. Not bad. But be warned. Inside Favorite, and likewise inside all Palettes, you can't change the order of the tools. For instance, in the "Light" category, "Exposure" is in the middle. That's it. You can't move it. I like it to be on top, but you can't do that here.

Luckily for us, you can create what DXO call a "user palette", but visible only if you don't click on any palette on top (yeah, I know, it's tricky)

You can put whatever tool you want inside, and reorgnize them as you like, moving them from top to bottom.

For me, DXO Advanced + a good personal user palette is the optimal way to use DXO for an advanced user.

I don't see any real value for the Favorite section vs the more usefull Personal palette, and for the DXO standard vs the DXO advanced

Dec 29, 2021 at 04:16 PM
Ayoul
Re: Personal review of DXO Photolab 5

In both modes, you can access to several "palettes" of tools (DXO naming, so let's embrace it) called Light, Colors, Details, Geometry, Local adjustments, Watermarks and effects. Each palette includes of course what you expect from them. If you click on the "light" symbol, this is what you get :

DXO Advanced :

DXO Standard :

Dec 29, 2021 at 02:51 PM

Previous versions of Ayoul's message #15811750 « Personal review of DXO Photolab 5 »