Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #15714190 « Eastern Sierra Fall color updates »

gdanmitchell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Eastern Sierra Fall color updates

I'll be up there soon, but based on past drought years, expect a few strange quirks in the typical color change schedule.

By the end of September some of the smaller, high elevation trees will be changing. (And some change much easier in a few odd spots.) In the past decade or so, it seems to me that the color may have started appearing a bit earlier, perhaps a half a week or so. I used to think of prime time in places like the upper reaches of Bishop Canyon as about one week into October, but in the past few years I've seen color earlier as early as a few days into October.

The color works its way down in elevation over the first three weeks of October or so, so if you miss the show at one elevation you may find it lower, perhaps in more sheltered canyons. (There are other timing variations that are specific to individual locations to many to mention here.)

In general, I'd still target about one week into October as a solid best guess time to be there.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM

Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #15714190 « Eastern Sierra Fall color updates »