Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of trstahly's message #14928100 « Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII »

trstahly
Upload & Sell: On
Re: New Sony RX100 VII now available for pre-order

technic wrote:
KlausJH wrote:
technic wrote:
Does any RX-100VI owner have experience using the camera for macro/closeup shots, and compared quality to a real macro lens? I would like a compact camera (RX10 is too big...) that can take good pictures of dragonflies, butterflies and other small critters. I'm aware of the limitations of the small sensor in less than good light, I'm mainly interested in optical quality (at the long end of the zoom range, for closeup work). I don't expect the same quality as a DSLR/ML camera with true macro lens, but hopefully good enough for a high resolution image or print without requiring extensive PP....

The RX100M6 is not the best camera for macro work. Around 50mm FL I found the optimum. Any other FL results in a smaller picture of the subject because the minimum focus distance grows faster than the reproduction ration. The IQ however is really good for such a little camera. I'm thinking of buying a Raynox-250 that goes in a mag filterholder.

The images below are at 53mm, 89mm and 200mm (equiv.) FL each taken at minimum focus distance.

53mm

89mm

200mm

Thanks! Looks like the native MFD is enough for identification shots, but not ideal indeed for great pictures especially for the smaller or more skittish damselflies. As the last picture shows, too much risk that the camera will focus on something else than the dragonfly because the subject is not big enough in the frame. IQ looks good indeed, none of the ugly aberrations that are visible in many competing "quality compacts" for such shots

A diopter is an option but this means you have to get quite close (25-50cm) which may be impossible in practice.

Big fan of the RX100V 24-70 1.8-2.8 and I feel confident they will release a version like the Va it sells well.

Why people are trying to make this camera into something its not is beyond me. It's the best pocketable point and shoot made end of story.

Not sure there are many who have taken more photos with the RX100 series than I have and I use it for what it is good for which is a point and shoot.

It is not a macro camera or a astro camera or BIF or wildlife!

I already know everything I need to know about it and currently the V and Va have better IQ than the VII so I will stick with my V until they release a VII and not sure if I will buy one anyway. A9 like AF is nice but I do not use the camera that way if mine fails I will pick up a used V or Va for half.

If and when a sensor and or lens upgrade is made that allows me to see a difference in IQ I will upgrade of if they made it as easy to send a pic as my iPhone. Other than the V or Va pretty much has it covered.

How do you get off a thread and stop getting emails coming to my inbox concerning this camera.

Jul 29, 2019 at 02:02 PM

Previous versions of trstahly's message #14928100 « Now In Stock: Sony RX100 VII »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.