Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of neoofmatrix's message #14406208 « darktable - A user review and some thoughts for anyone considering a raw editor »

neoofmatrix
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: darktable - A user review and some thoughts for anyone co...

But in the second part I want to focus on why darktable is such a good replacement for any Post Processing software you might be using or plan to switching

Built for the love of Photography – This may not mean a lot to most, but I am astounded such good piece of software could be written and given away as free. I have used quite a few editors and most of them paid, but none evoke such a linear workflow and it tells easily it was built by a bunch of photographers.

Open Source – This is strictly a Raw editor but if you look at modules like Liquify you will wonder whether it is a pixel level editor. Interestingly that module was developed by another developer which was merged later. I hear there is another module called Enfuse which will allow focus stacking and there will be more and more such interesting additions which will make darktable a strong contender amongst its peers.

It has a DAM built in. I do not use one so I cannot comment much. But from what I read, it is okay for most users and can import images form Lightroom with its major edits intact. So anyone switching can try out how well it performs.

It can be an end to end editor. While I have not completely abandoned my old workflow, this is the only Raw editor where I could finish an entire an image without roundtrips.

Excellent control over local edits. If you are someone like me who likes images to pop a bit.

Almost zero bleeding of selections, with NIK this was one of the major issues. If I applied contrast to dress, it will bleed to skin. If I applied contrast and saturation to dress; it will bleed to skin.

Masking and selection indicators and adjustments are graphically well laid out and acceptably quick to turn on and off.

Enthusiastic developers who are consistent in delivery and open to be interactive with users in public forums. This is a massive differentiator.

If you are technically inclined, you can learn a lot about the underlying technology rather than just sliders that do the magic.

Tether, Shoot, DAM, Edit global, Edit local, export, print. Simply put; it is a one stop solution that not many other tools can compete with.

But the most important reason is the freedom that it gives being free and open source. You don’t have to worry before buying a new camera if your software will support it. Even if it does not, you can request the developers who will not tell you to pay more just to use your new camera.

There are no monthly rentals and more importantly no holding your edits to ransom of recurring payment. You propose an idea for a feature it will be considered not for the business value but for how interesting it is for a developer or how useful it is for the masses.

To me these mean a lot more than just the finesse and glossiness of either the tool or a brand.

Mar 19, 2018 at 09:33 AM

Previous versions of neoofmatrix's message #14406208 « darktable - A user review and some thoughts for anyone considering a raw editor »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.