Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

dasmodul

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

I know there is a manufacturer that makes an Elinchrom to Alien Bees speedring adapter, but has anyone tried mounting the Elinchrom modifiers on the new Einstien units? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM
dasmodul

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Nobody?

Apr 14, 2011 at 01:55 AM
zurkzees
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/

Apr 14, 2011 at 02:05 AM
dasmodul

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

I've sent Kacey Enterprises an e-mail to confirm the Einstein adapter. Will post reply here.

Apr 14, 2011 at 04:33 PM
tetrode
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

dasmodul wrote:
I know there is a manufacturer that makes an Elinchrom to Alien Bees speedring adapter, but has anyone tried mounting the Elinchrom modifiers on the new Einstien units? Thanks.

I've posted this several times before but here, again, is the Kacey adapter setup:

Two components are required: The AB adapter and the Elinchrom adapter. The two pieces are screwed together.

The combination will allow an Elinchrom mount modifier to mount on an Einstein (or other AB light): This is a photo of the 69" Rotalux mounted on an Einstein:

The adapters work well but will recess the Einstein flastube into a short tunnel:

Dave F.

Apr 14, 2011 at 07:37 PM
dasmodul

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Thanks Dave. For reference sake, this is what KC Enterprise had to say for anyone who looks up this thread later:

"Yes just purchase our AB/WL mount adapter and our Elinchrom Adapter. It will come mated together and is designed to do specifically what you are looking to do
Jerry Kacey"

Apr 15, 2011 at 01:05 AM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Dave,
Have you flipped the adapter ring so the flange is in? Will it fit on the Einstein that way
seems like it would get the tube just a bit farther out. Not sure what the real benefit would be.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM
tetrode
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

dmward wrote:
Dave,
Have you flipped the adapter ring so the flange is in? Will it fit on the Einstein that way
seems like it would get the tube just a bit farther out. Not sure what the real benefit would be.

Ah, David, you and I think alike! Of course I tried that It definitely works and does bring the flashtube forward by an additional 1/4":

The only problem is that the inverted Kacey White Lightning adapter sits flush against the face of the Einstein and blocks the unit's air intakes:

I don't know if this really increases the risk of the E640 overheating but, for now, I'm disinclined to risk finding out the answer the hard way.

Dave F.

Apr 15, 2011 at 01:41 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

dmward wrote:
Dave,

While this should work, and will actually heat sink a bit of heat away from the Einstein, it will position the accessories further in front of the flashtube than Elinchrom designed them for. This shouldn't have much effect on a white beauty dish, but will change the pattern of reflective silver umbrellas as and will significantly deteriorate the pattern of high output narrow angle reflectors. Getting the tube out further by reversing the flange will help, but it looks like there is still about an inch of focal point error that can be significant with silver accessories.

Apr 15, 2011 at 02:31 PM
tetrode
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Paul Buff wrote:
While this should work, and will actually heat sink a bit of heat away from the Einstein, it will position the accessories further in front of the flashtube than Elinchrom designed them for. This shouldn't have much effect on a white beauty dish, but will change the pattern of reflective silver umbrellas as and will significantly deteriorate the pattern of high output narrow angle reflectors. Getting the tube out further by reversing the flange will help, but it looks like there is still about an inch of focal point error that can be significant with silver accessories.

Flashtube placement actually isn't too bad with the Kacey Elinchrom adapter and White Lightning adapter (flipped). The effect is easier to see with the Einstein's Pyrex dome removed:

This photo shows the adapters with a Norman Elinchrom speed ring insert mounted. The Norman inset is not particularly low profile (Chimera inserts are lowest profile). Even so, the edge of the flashtube can just be seen beyond the edge of the insert:

From the front:

If your feeling is that heat build-up should not be a problem if the E640 is used conservatively (i.e.; without excessive use of the modeling light), then I would say flipping the Kacey adapter is definitely the way to go.

Dave F.

Apr 15, 2011 at 04:14 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Thanks Dave,
That opens a lot of possibilities.
Turning the modeling light off or way down is standard procedure for the VML anyway so that should help the heat dissipation.

Dave, it looks like the Kacey Elinchrom adapter is big enough to fit over the Einstein nose section where the handles protrude for the Balcar locking mechanism.

I wonder how much surgery would have to be performed to move the Elinchrom mount back to the main body of the Einstein. It would get the tube out another half inch. It would probably also mean that the elinchrom mount would have to stay on the light permanently.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Dave, I just placed an Elinchrom speedring adapter in front of one of my Einsteins.
It would require major surgery.

Apr 16, 2011 at 09:37 AM
tetrode
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

dmward wrote:
Dave, I just placed an Elinchrom speedring adapter in front of one of my Einsteins.
It would require major surgery.

Yes, David, I've done that as well. I think the Kacey adapter combo is about as good as it's going to get until Elinchrom releases their promised Balcar/AB adapter some time this summer (see page 5 of the Rotalux manual on the Elinchrom site).

Dave F.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM
silvermesa1
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

What is the current status today regarding adaptors/speedrings that allow the Einstein to be used with Elinchrom softboxes? What is the current best solution?

P.S. Just read about the 74" Octabank yesterday and then discovered the challenge of mounting Elinchrom modifiers to Einstein. I am a total noob to studio lighting and have been interested in the Einstein line of strobes.

Thank You!

Jul 25, 2014 at 09:29 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Why not just get the speed rings Elinchrom sells for the rotolux soft boxes to fit the Balcar platform? It works fine on my Octas. I haven't tried it on the big 74" Octa, but it's indirect so not as critical as the forward facing boxes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887642-REG/Elinchrom_el_26534_Rotalux_Speed_Ring_For.html

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

+1 that's the no brainer choice.

Jul 26, 2014 at 07:43 PM
silvermesa1
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Elinchrom Modifiers on PCB Einstein?

Since this thread is two years old it is good to hear that Elinchrom did build the speedring and give Einstein users another option of attaching Elinchrome modifiers to the strobe.

So it sounds like the above speedring is a quality product that works well?

Jul 26, 2014 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password