New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · this is just strange

dasrocket
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · this is just strange

And not 100% certain it's real, but check it out. Especially at the end of the video

Jan 20, 2011 at 01:53 PM
trivuong
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · this is just strange

http://www.artefactgroup.com/wvil/

Jan 20, 2011 at 02:00 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · this is just strange

It's apparently a concept camera - i.e a mockup to show what they want to do in the future:

http://www.artefactgroup.com/#/content/camera-futura-3

We understand that both the YouTube video and the website have led some to believe that this was a mere hoax. And while Camera Futura is far from being released, we created these assets to spark a discussion around the question of “what if” the product was really available. We believe such a product will soon be demoed on the CES show floor in some not too far off time.

Jan 20, 2011 at 02:01 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · this is just strange

That's right. I got to talk to a production president of some kind for Nikon here in Japan about a year ago and he told me that he thought the future of cameras ten to twenty years out, would be lensless machines that network a coordinate position wirelessly and utilize micro-lenses scattered all about in order to "digitize" a real 3D "photograph" of the scene. I guess detachable self-contained wireless lenses are one step in that direction. The "future" that Nikon man saw certainly doesn't sound very fun to me tho. It sounds kinda spooky to me. But 20 years ago if someone told me that the future contained a reality in which everyone carried telephones with them everywhere they went and spent more time texting than talking with others face to face and that these devices were trackable to within a few feet (besides doing hi-fi stereo, video rec/play, still photography, voice recording, and etc. etc.) I would have thought that was "Book of Revelations" grade spooky. Yet here it is and people think it's just as normal as can be.

Jan 20, 2011 at 02:19 PM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · this is just strange

trivuong wrote:
http://www.artefactgroup.com/wvil/

28-100/2.0 at 380 grams for 24x36... Riiiight.

Jan 20, 2011 at 02:47 PM
cgiff
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · this is just strange

^Admittedly, f/2 - 3.8. Still...

It's a really cool concept!

Jan 20, 2011 at 03:41 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · this is just strange

I figured it's a concept watching the vid again, but thought the guy walking away at the end answering a call on his camera was funny. And that, my friends, is how you lose your lenses!

Minolta introduced the idea of a detachable lens digicam in 1998 with the Dimage EX and this is the evolution of the idea:
http://www.srilankadot.com/wiki-Minolta_Dimage_EX

Jan 20, 2011 at 04:02 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · this is just strange

I wonder where they got a 31MP FF sensor from?

Mike

Jan 20, 2011 at 05:30 PM
Mike Milne
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · this is just strange

I seems to have the sensor built into the lens. Hmmm... good way to get people to continuously upgrade lenses, as if we needed an excuse...

Jan 21, 2011 at 03:34 AM
---XR---
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · this is just strange

no viewfinder- no thank you.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · this is just strange

Mike Milne wrote:
I seems to have the sensor built into the lens. Hmmm... good way to get people to continuously upgrade lenses, as if we needed an excuse...

the Imager is part of the lens adapter not the lens itself. supposedly using one size of imager that adapts to the format lens you're using or they're contradicting picture to statement. its concept stuff so leeway needs to be given

this particular concept is pretty much close to reality in the Ricoh GXR

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/

Jan 29, 2011 at 07:29 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · this is just strange

That was posted on dyxum a while ago, everyone got excited about it, no idea why. It looks like a toy, from someone we have no idea about, and have no idea about the genuine spec - in short, nonesense!

Jan 29, 2011 at 08:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · this is just strange

ricardovaste wrote:
That was posted on dyxum a while ago, everyone got excited about it, no idea why. It looks like a toy, from someone we have no idea about, and have no idea about the genuine spec - in short, nonesense!

Nonsense is right!

EBH

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · this is just strange

its a conceptual design. far from reality using some pie in the sky intermixed with known tech. car guys/girls know this stuff comes out every year.

Jan 30, 2011 at 01:33 AM
trdonja

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · this is just strange

Bifurcator wrote:
That's right. I got to talk to a production president of some kind for Nikon here in Japan about a year ago and he told me that he thought the future of cameras ten to twenty years out, would be lensless machines that network a coordinate position wirelessly and utilize micro-lenses scattered all about in order to "digitize" a real 3D "photograph" of the scene. I guess detachable self-contained wireless lenses are one step in that direction. The "future" that Nikon man saw certainly doesn't sound very fun to me tho. It sounds kinda spooky to me. But 20 years
...Show more
Well it all depends what do you define as PRESENT? Present time, when we talk about photography, are mobile phones with integrated tiny lenses plus some small compact cameras with tiny sensors. But present time for us, is neither of that, it's mostly DSLR, couple of RF, big lenses and couple of high quality EVIL systems.

So while that Nikon guy might be correct about his fantasies, this doesn't mean, that photography for "photographers" will look anything like that. I don't think that the fundamentals of photography are going to be much different in 20 years.

Jan 30, 2011 at 03:38 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · this is just strange

It's a con
In the same way as DaVinci's flying machine, a study in "what if".

Calling a concept nonsense is an oxymoron :0

Jan 31, 2011 at 02:42 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · this is just strange

trdonja wrote:
... I don't think that the fundamentals of photography are going to be much different in 20 years.

You are assuming photographers will be the same in 20 years.

Jan 31, 2011 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.