Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2010 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

pepperman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Wow, what a day! I was so excited to take off of work yesterday to go to photograph the eagles at Conowingo Dam. I got there at sunrise and its a good thing that I did because there was not much time to capture any images. As we were all watching and waiting for that next great possibility something happened, all of the sudden all of the birds took off from the island, it was really strange to see about 15 great blue heron take off at the same time as the vultures and the eagles as well! What happened I thought? Well I later found out that this one self-centered photographer had kayaked out to the island in an attempt to get his own great shot! Everyone and anyone who had come to share in this great place was surely disappointed. I was told by others who were there that this guy has been doing this all week! The really crazy part is that not only does he ruin this for everyone else but he can't be getting any shots himself! The birds scattered and were not feeding dispite the perfect conditions. Oh well, we left and drove another 1 1/2 hours to Bombay Hook NWR to finish our day!

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:01 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

These shots were all before this guy got on the island and after he got there we sat for 2hrs waiting before we finally made the decision to leave.

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:05 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

That is too bad.
You still came up with some really nice shots.
harsha

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:08 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Nice flyby's. I saw that guy a few weeks ago. It was his first visit then and he did the same thing. He also mentioned he learned of the location on this FM board. The recent influx of eagle posts specifying this location is inviting a huge variety of chaps, looking for the ultimate shot, no matter what lengths they have to take.

Edited on Nov 25, 2010 at 09:19 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:19 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Thanks Harsha, I only got these because I was 1 of the first to show up! I am thinking about going back tommorrow but am afraid that I will be wasting my time if this guy is there again. It is a real shame because I took off of work for a long weekend of shooting and have been really looking forward to this! Ow well, when the Univers gives you lemons you have to try to make lemonade!
Thanks Again!

Herb, that is the double-edged sword! I live here in Maryland and sometimes take for granted that I have such an amazing place that I can go, I certainly hope that guys like this don't continue to ruin this place! Although history shows that that is probably what will happen!

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:19 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

That really sucks. Driving the mass of birds off from their location is NOT good stewardship!!

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:34 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

any chance the PA Game Commission or PA Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources has law enforcement jurisdiction in the area? If so, you might give me a ring and head's up about this guy.

tony

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:38 AM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Wow. I've heard of people not wanting to give locations, but always thought they were being paranoid.

I would be contacting my state wildlife officials for advice.

Eric

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:56 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

anthonysemone wrote:
any chance the PA Game Commission or PA Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources has law enforcement jurisdiction in the area? If so, you might give me a ring and head's up about this guy.

tony

A couple of things: first of all, this part of the Susquehanna is in Maryland, not PA and the Maryland DNR should have been made aware of the situation.

Second, the island is private property with no trespassing allowed. It belongs to Exelon Energy, which owns and operates Conowingo. Had their security been aware of this guy, they'd have taken their boat out there and arrested him.

And had they not wished to bother, they could have called the Department of Homeland Security which has enacted special regulations for sensitive areas such as hydro-electric dams...

This guy is not only insanely stupid but very lucky that he wasn't shot!

Nov 25, 2010 at 09:56 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

It is true that photography boards, not just FM, have tons images from the area. Even though many people do not mention where the images are from, it is by far no secret. Anyone with an internet connection can do a google search and find tons of information about the eagle population here.

However, it is unfortunate that people like this ruin it for others who patiently wait for a photo opportunity with one of these magnificent raptors. It shows total lack of respect for the time of others. If I was there, I would have calmly walked up the the office at the dam and to make them aware of this guy.

One must remember that these are wild animals that were on the brink of extinction just a few years ago. The least people can do is respect their space and allow them to take shelter when necessary.

I just hope this guy doesn't start a trend. It won't take long for behavior like this to cause the birds to go elsewhere. Maybe he will get arrested and serve as an example for any other yo-yos who get the same idea.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM
genemiller
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

A real BUMMER -- for all your effort to get to the dam, what a dissapointment. However, you got some beautiful KEEPERS in the series. The "immie" shots are all wonderful - nice and crisp and well exposed!

GENE

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM
AdmiralK

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Perhaps he'll recognise himself on here and learn from his mistake(s)!

Despite your visit being curtailed you managed to get some great shots, thank you for sharing them.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM
KWeck
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

How one person can ruin a great spot and for what? Does he really think he can get better shots? Bald Eagles are not as stupid as this guy..

I agree the Dam People should have been aware of this. They will arrest him as it is a major risk with all the voltage that runs through that island area.

I have seen some dumb AXX self centered things but this takes the cake.

I enjoy going to this area and spend my weekend days standing, photographing and meeting new people. But I drive over 2 hours one way.. It's not fair to everyone that plays by the rules...

There are many posts of his person all over Flickr.. as well as his car and license plate number.. He should be turned into the right people. I'm sure he reads all this and chuckles... I don't find it funny!

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Now maybe some will be more understanding why I try to keep it low profile on where and when.

There is always the reply one can google and find out.

Ted

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM
hawky
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

You got some excellent shots. It is sad that this gentleman ruined it for everyone. I agree with Chris--the Maryland DNR should be notified about this even now and the picture shared with them.

Jim

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Duane N
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

A few local photographers were up there or are up there during this past week and they said the activity was slow despite Eagles being present or distant. I was planning on being up there from this past Monday through today. I get one vacation a year and I'm not made of money....IF this is the reason why things are slow I feel sorry for the other people that went ahead with their plans this past week and kind of glad I decided to stay local.

The local photographers I met during my one day trip 3 weeks ago went out of their way to answer some of my questions or explain how things work around there...respect goes a long way in my book.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

This is appalling. Conowingo is too special a nature resource to allow it to be damaged, endangered, or even messed with at all.

And the Exelon guards should have been told about it immediately. All you have to do is take a picture and walk to the end of the parking lot to find a guard. There are still no trespassing signs on the island, if I remember right. MD DNR is not worth that much, but MD state police are and they respond quickly to activity around Homeland Security designated spots like the Dam. And the nearby Susquehanna Park has armed rangers on duty. It's only a couple of miles away from the Dam.

So lets be pro-active and not just complain. Get photos of the guy, his car, his license plate. AND tell the Exelon guards. So let's shut this guy down.

I expect to be able to get down there next week. And no one better mess with "my birds".

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM
Mick Haensler
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Seeing as folks were able to get close enough to the guy to snap off some shots, and went out of their way to find his car and take a shot of his license plate. Did anyone think to ask the guy to stop what he was doing? I've found a friendly heads up can sometimes go a long way.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

Speaking of idiots, how about the guy at the pond on moose wilson road in grand teton NP who parked his truck next to the bear who was three feet away in the chokecherry bush and blocked the view of about 50 people who were on the other side of the road with their cameras set up. When everyone asked him to move, he refused. I noticed he is a poster here on fm. Not only was he an idiot, but had his business name plastered all over his truck.

Nov 25, 2010 at 01:03 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Conowingo Dam Disappointment

That is very disappointing to say the least. I was there about a week ago and had a wonderful time even though the eagles weren't fishing very much. I have been hearing about a photog who has been very inappropriate for some time now going into protected areas to get "the shot". He has been banned from certain areas with the threat of arrest should he reappear. If I had driven the 3 hours to find this was happening as I was there I certainly would not have been too pleased.
Maybe the notoriety here will alert others to report this kind of behavior.
Eric

Nov 25, 2010 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.