Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Infra-red Compatible Lenses

  
 
Andrew Reid
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


I've recently had one of my 5D's converted to IR and I'm currently using my 17-40 f4L and 70-200f4L non-IS as well as the 300f4L but I would like a one lens solution for the IR camera of say 28-300 and was wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience of any lenses in that range that will work in the IR range without a hot-spot in the center.

Because of the focus shift I don't need to set the aperture larger than about f5.6 and because the effects of diffraction kick in about 2 stops earlier in IR I don't need to stop it down more than f16 so I figured one of the "Super Zooms" would fit the bill perfectly if I can find one without a hot-spot in the center.

The only one I've been able to find so far is on a list at lensplay.com, but I don't know how old the list is (maybe 2006?). Here's the link

http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_infra_red_IR.html

to the page listing a Tamron 18-300mm XR lens as compatible but I'm not sure if that's the same lens as the one I've found at an online camera store labeled "Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di VC".

Any help finding a lens would be much appreciated.


Andrew



Oct 05, 2010 at 04:26 AM
akclimber
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


FYI, here's another list that may be useful:

http://dpanswers.com/content/irphoto_lenses.php

Good luck!




Oct 05, 2010 at 10:25 AM
gpop
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


does anyone know if the 'hot-spot' issue hits both modified and non-modified bodies, or is it just an issue when a non-modified body is used with a screw on filter?

in my very limited research, I only see mention of the issue when screw on filters are used.




Oct 05, 2010 at 12:21 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


akclimber wrote:
FYI, here's another list that may be useful:

http://dpanswers.com/content/irphoto_lenses.php

Good luck!



Interesting list - I can confirm some of the lens-specific IR performances there, but disagree in regard of the Sigma 10-20 mm lens. It unfortunately often produced a hot spot even at wider open apertures. Sometimes I was able to limit the spot by changing the camera-sun angle, sometimes the spot appeared no matter what. I use a 77 mm Hoya IR filter on top of the lens on my older Rebel XT camera.

For now, I tested some of my lenses in IR photography just by trial and error. The 17-40, as well as the 24-70 and 70-200 f4 lenses were all fine without hot spots, even at f8-f11.



Oct 05, 2010 at 12:26 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


gpop wrote:
does anyone know if the 'hot-spot' issue hits both modified and non-modified bodies, or is it just an issue when a non-modified body is used with a screw on filter?

in my very limited research, I only see mention of the issue when screw on filters are used.



As far as I know, it is a lens-specific matter only.



Oct 05, 2010 at 12:28 PM
outlawyer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


17-40 was one of the most hot-spot prone lenses on my crop IR-converted body.


Oct 05, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Andrew Reid
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


akclimber wrote:
FYI, here's another list that may be useful:

http://dpanswers.com/content/irphoto_lenses.php

Good luck!



Thanks for the extra list, many more lenses reported there.

I can also confirm that the Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS is also a good lens for IR with no hot-spot at all though I haven't tried it with the 1.4 II extender yet.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L non-IS can produce a hot-spot ranging from very bad with the 1.4 II extender stopped down to almost non-existent bare depending on the focal length and/or aperture and angle to the sun (I haven't worked out all the variables yet).

My 17-40mm f/4 L is a great performer in IR on my converted 5D without even a trace of a hot-spot.

I've also tried my 28mm f/1.8 and it seems to work just fine although I've only used it for a limited time as the larger aperture isn't really needed along with the associated focusing problems in IR.

Andrew



Oct 05, 2010 at 01:52 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


Andrew Reid wrote:
[I can also confirm that the Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS is also a good lens for IR with no hot-spot at all though I haven't tried it with the 1.4 II extender yet.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L non-IS can produce a hot-spot ranging from very bad with the 1.4 II extender stopped down to almost non-existent bare depending on the focal length and/or aperture and angle to the sun (I haven't worked out all the variables yet).

My 17-40mm f/4 L is a great performer in IR on my converted 5D without even a trace of a
...Show more

In my experience hot spots often also depend on the situation like angle of camera/lens to the sun, reflections etc. Some lenses are better in this regard than others.



Oct 05, 2010 at 02:10 PM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


I enjoy IR photography so over the last couple of years I tested many of my lenses mounted on a converted 5D then later my 5D MKII that were both converted to IR (RG715). I then further tested most with a filter (B+W 093) and then a Heliopan RG1000 on the lens. These were tested at various apertures until a hot spot appeared. Here are the findings I had

Lens………………….............................IR715..........IR093........IR1000
Canon EF.14L.................................None
Canon EF.15....................................None
Canon EF.17-40L............................None..........16..............11
Canon EF.17L T+S..........................None..........None
Canon EF.24L..................................None..........None........11
Canon EF.24L T+S (1st ver)….....…....None..........16.............11
Canon EF.24-70L.............................None..........11............5.6
Canon EF.35L..................................None..........None........None
Canon EF.45 T+S................................8...............8.............5.6
Canon EF.50 2.5...............................None..........None.......16
Canon EF.50L 1.2...............................16............11..............8
Canon EF.50L 1.0.............................None..........None.......None
Canon EF.50-200L............................None..........None.........8
Canon EF.70-200L (F4 non IS).............None..........22..............8
Canon EF.85L...................................None..........None........None
Canon EF.90 T+S..............................None..........11.............11
Canon EF.100 (1st ver)..macro...............None..........None.......None
Canon EF.100L...................................5.6............5.6.............5.6
Canon EF.135 SF...............................None..........None........None
Canon EF.135L..................................None..........None........None
Canon EF.180L..................................None..........None........None
Canon EF.400…….....….....………….........None..........None........None
Voigtlander.125 EF mount….....…..........11……......8…...........5.6
Voigtlander...40..................................None..........None.........None
Zeiss..........21……….....….....………….......5.6….........5.6
Zeiss..........25 IR…….....…….....…….........None..........None..........None
Zeiss..........25......................................None..........8…….........5.6
Zeiss..........28........................................11.............8…….........5.6
Zeiss..........35......................................None..........11...............5.6
Zeiss..........50..........................................8.............5.6..............5.6
Zeiss..........50 IR.................................None..........8.................8
Zeiss..........85..........................................8..............5.6.............5.6
Zeiss..........85 IR..................................None..........None..........None
Zeiss..........100 MP...............................None..........5.6..........4
Zeiss..........18...........................................8..............5.6
Zeiss..........50 MP................................None..........None..........5.6
Coastal Optics.60………..........……...........None..........None..........None
Hartblei...40 .........................................11............16
Hartblei...80 ......................................None..........None..........None
Hartblei..120 .....................................None..........None..........None
Leica........19......................................None..........None
Leica........70-180................................5.6...............4................2.8
Leica........90..........................................8...............8................5.6
Leica......100......................................None..........None..........None
Leica......180......................................None..........None..........None
Nikon....14-24....................................None..........None
Nikon....28 E......................................None..........16................11
Nikon....28 1.4....................................None..........None..........None
Nikon....70-180...................................None..........None..........None
Nikon....85 PC....................................None..........None..........None
Nikon...105 DC...................................None..........11................8
Nikon...105 UV...................................None..........None..........None
Nikon...135 DC...................................None..........None..........None
Sigma...8..............................................None
Canon FD.35-105................................16..............11............11
Canon FD.50.......................................5.6..............4...............4
Canon FD.80-200...............................None..........None........None
Canon FD.85........................................5.6.............4..............2.8
Canon FD.100....................................None..........None..........None





Edited on Dec 27, 2010 at 01:27 PM · View previous versions



Oct 05, 2010 at 06:48 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

timpdx
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


I disagree with that list, too, with the part about the 18-55 IS being a poor performer, I use it all the time on my IR converted rebel and it produces nice sharp results.


Oct 05, 2010 at 07:00 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


burningheart wrote:
I enjoy IR photography so over the last couple of years I tested many of my lenses mounted on a converted 5D then later my 5D MKII that were both converted to IR (RG715). I then further tested most with a filter (B+W 093) and then a Heliopan RG1000 on the lens. These were tested at various apertures until a hot spot appeared. Here are the findings I had

Lens………………….............................IR715..........IR093........IR1000
Canon EF.14L.................................None
Canon EF.15....................................None
Canon EF.17-40L............................None..........16..............11
Canon EF.17L T+S..........................None..........None
Canon EF.24L..................................None..........None........11
Canon EF.24L T+S (1st ver)….....…....None..........16.............11
Canon EF.24-70L.............................None..........11............5.6
Canon EF.35L..................................None..........None........None
Canon EF.45 T+S................................8...............8.............5.6
Canon EF.50 2.5...............................None..........None.......16
Canon EF.50L 1.2...............................16............11..............8
Canon EF.50L 1.0.............................None..........None.......None
Canon EF.50-200L............................None..........None.........8
Canon EF.70-200L (F4 non IS).............None..........22..............8
Canon EF.85L...................................None..........None........None
Canon EF.90 T+S..............................None..........11.............11
Canon EF.100 (1st ver)......................None..........None.......None
Canon
...Show more

Great job done here, thanks for the infos!



Oct 05, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Andrew Reid
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


Thanks for the extra data points burningheart, very much appreciated

I need to do some methodical testing on some of my other lenses , but right now I'm having way too much fun just playing around as the nice sunny days are going to be very hard to come by in the next few weeks as the rainy season starts up here on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Right now the front runner for a "mostly" one lens solution seems to be the Canon EF 28-135mm, I think I could by with this doing about 80% of the shots I would normally do but with the haze minimizing effect of IR, telephoto landscapes become more "doable" during midday and so a 28-200 or 28-300 would be a nice solution.

I've injured the tendons in one of my shoulders (which takes months and months to heal) and carrying camera gear only aggravates the problem, hence my need for a "one lens solution" combined with a grip and a hand strap on the 5D. I might have to look into one of the belt systems for carrying my existing lenses if I can't find a good "super zoom" that's good for IR work.


Andrew



Oct 06, 2010 at 01:59 PM
j.liam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


Anyone have experience with the Voigtlδnder SL (I or II) 2/40 and IR?


Jul 03, 2022 at 09:28 AM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


j.liam wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Voigtlδnder SL (I or II) 2/40 and IR?


The EF mount Voigtlander 40/2 and 28/2.8 are terrific. I found no hots spots when using them.



Jul 03, 2022 at 11:31 AM
davidl11
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


The list at KolariVision, https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/, is, I believe, widely considered to be the most comprehensive list available. However, I don't know when it was last updated.


Jul 03, 2022 at 01:52 PM
Flowernut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


I did a lot trying to look this up and found the web lists very lacking. Bought a 24-70 f4L thinking my 24-205 would not work. The ef version did so I wasted time and $$ on it. I'd suggest trying the lenses you have before you buy one for this specifically. The won't work list I think is accurate but incomplete. The will work list tends to be incomplete.


Jul 04, 2022 at 09:11 AM
j.liam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Infra-red Compatible Lenses


Lloyd Chambers has recommendations on his site but it hasn't been updated in years. He lists the Nikon 45 AIP as one of the best; a lens I once owned but found its simple Tessar design less than overwhelming for conventional photography. Am loath to spend money re-purchasing it.


Jul 04, 2022 at 11:03 AM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password