New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · ND rear gel filters

Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND rear gel filters

Hey guys, I'd like an ND filter for my 17-40L, but the 10x ND's are quite pricey. Is there a way to use the rear gelatin filter slot instead and insert an ND filter there? How does it work and what are the options here?

Edited on Aug 26, 2010 at 09:49 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2010 at 08:02 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND rear gel filters

I could be wrong but i don't think the 17-40 has a rear filter slot.

Rear gelatin filters are a pain to use. But you can buy sheets of gelatin filters and then you cut them to size, to fit the holder in the rear of the lens.

But why put a cheap gelatin filter on a good lens? Why not just buy a really cheap lens?

Personally I would just save up for Lee or Singh-Ray filter system. It's totally worth it if you are getting into using filters for your shots.

Aug 26, 2010 at 08:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND rear gel filters

Hi Ariel,

> Is there a way to use the rear gelatin filter slot instead and insert an ND filter there?

Yes, but you have to dismount the lens to add or remove the filters. You can buy Kodak Wratten gel filters and cut them into the required diameter for the lens rear slot, but that's not what I do.

>...what are the options here?

I use 75mm x 75mm (3" x 3") Kodak Wratten gel filters, and I cut them to fit inside 77mm round screw-thread filters. Depending on what I'm shooting (and the reduction in light that I need), I use an outside filter that's either; a UV, a 2-stop CP, or a 3-stop ND, and then simply put one or more layers of Wratten gel filters between the front filter and the front element of the lens.

Cheers, Jim

Aug 26, 2010 at 08:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND rear gel filters

Cool. I didn't think you could delete a post after it's been quoted - continual improvment, or what?

Aug 26, 2010 at 09:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND rear gel filters

The old 16-35 has one too IIRC. I found rear gels to be a PITA.

EBH

Aug 26, 2010 at 09:35 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND rear gel filters

Nowhere Man wrote:
But why put a cheap gelatin filter on a good lens? Why not just buy a really cheap lens?

Personally I would just save up for Lee or Singh-Ray filter system. It's totally worth it if you are getting into using filters for your shots.

Is there such a thing as a good gelatin filter? I'm not a fan of the cheap stuff either.

This 10x ND gel filter and this filter holder looks like a possible working combo.

jcolwell wrote:
I use 75mm x 75mm (3" x 3") Kodak Wratten gel filters, and I cut them to fit inside 77mm round screw-thread filters. Depending on what I'm shooting (and the reduction in light that I need), I use an outside filter that's either; a UV, a 2-stop CP, or a 3-stop ND, and then simply put one or more layers of Wratten gel filters between the front filter and the front element of the lens.

Why do you prefer having the filter in front of the lens rather than behind?

Does the filter maintain its flat shape and not cause any problems being flexed and warped?

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ND rear gel filters

Ariel Bravy wrote:

It's a lot more convenient, as I don't have to take the lens off the camera to change things. Also, the front element 'entrapment' method lets me put many combinations of gel filters on the lens, without 'stacking' filters.

Ariel Bravy wrote:

Does the filter maintain its flat shape and not cause any problems being flexed and warped?

The filter retains its shape, no worries.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ND rear gel filters

jcolwell wrote:
You're wrong...

this just goes along perfectly with the rest of my week I've been having. not surprised i'm wrong again. lol.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM
ViscaB
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ND rear gel filters

I have a (LCW) fader as well. Works very well. There is some color cast but not too bad. When I use it to get some clouds movement or traffic trails I combine it with an image I take without the filter anyway for the other elements.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ND rear gel filters

Nowhere Man wrote:

As long as it isn't scratched, a proper optical-grade gelatin filter (like Kodak) will be optically superior to any front-mounted glass or plastic filter.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ND rear gel filters

apologies, but that image was way too dark....

http://mysite.verizon.net/jffitzgerald/Untitled-1.jpg

So, since I happened to have a 16-35 rolling around on my desk here, and it looks the same, am I to assume that we just need to stuff a piece of filter gel on the back before mounting the lens and it's going to stay flat and behave itself (under the shim of course)?

Sorry, missed the answer above...

Edited on Aug 27, 2010 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ND rear gel filters

Is it possible to cut this Kodak filter down to size if one wanted to use the rare filter holder on a lens? Are there specific gel filters that can and can not be cut to size? Sorry to for the dumb question, I'm new to filters. Only filters I use is a screw on polarizer and a B+W 10 stop ND. Would love to try this Kodak filter on the 16-35 II. Would be so much cheaper than going for a Lee filter holder and the Big Stopper.

Thanks guys!
Chris

EDIT I should have read Jim's reply before posting this

molson wrote:
As long as it isn't scratched, a proper optical-grade gelatin filter (like Kodak) will be optically superior to any front-mounted glass or plastic filter.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Chris Moy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ND rear gel filters

Crap! Just realized the 16-35 II doesn't have a filter holder on the rare of the lens Guess I have to save my pennies and go for Lee Filters.

Aug 27, 2010 at 01:16 PM
Dean DuBois
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ND rear gel filters

I wish Canon would build in low-ISO settins that can be used to mimic the behavior of using anND filter. ISO 50 when available is partially-sampled ISO 100...so why can't they give you lower settings to allow us to increase exposure time? Seems that should be easy!

I have played with taking multiple exposures (on a tripod of course) and layering them together to get the long exposure effect you get with an ND filter.

Aug 27, 2010 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.