Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

The Image
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

Hey all,
I'm on OSX 10.6.3 running Photoshop CS5/Bridge CS5.
My canon 5D mkII raw files are soft in Bridge's main preview window and they are also soft in the main preview in Camera Raw, even though these images are sharp as a razor, I have to actually open the files in Photoshop to check sharpness, which is just no good when Im dealing with hundreds of files.
So are there any preferences I can try to give me a high quality preview in Camera Raw & Bridge's preview windows?
As it is right now, all the preferences are set at default.

Edited on May 09, 2010 at 09:50 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2010 at 06:48 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

Hmmm. There are preferences in Bridge CS5 that can improve the quality of the preview there. The one that makes the most difference for the normal preview pane is Edt>Preferences>Advanced, Generate Monitor-sized Previews. Now I have had mixed results getting that preview to show me sharpening and noise reduction applied in Camera Raw. I am sure at least once I saw a preview in Bridge that showed sharpening but it doesn't now and I'm not sure if it was a fluke before or what.

Now Camera Raw is another matter. Camera Raw in CS5 now shows sharpening and noise reduction at less than 100% zoom. CS4 and earlier had to be at 100% zoom or greater. The sharpening/noise reduction shown in Camera Raw CS5 is an approximation and really should not be depended on for print sharpness, but at least now there is some visual indication that sharpening is applied independent of zoom.

If you are not seeing this in your apps, I can't think of what could be the problem. Maybe a Mac glitch? I am using Windows 7 64.bit.

May 09, 2010 at 07:03 PM
The Image
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

Hey Eyeball,
Back in Bridge CS3 there was an issue going on with soft previews as well, the thread about this issue on the Adobe Bridge forums got alot of traffic, but I dont know if the problem was ever resolved.
I tried that setting>Generate Monitor Sized previews, but still no improvement, these previews are very soft, I got a post right now on the Abobe Bridge forums on this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/635024?tstart=0 but have yet to get a reply, thanks for your input.

May 09, 2010 at 07:20 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

Don't forget to purge the Bridge cache whenever you change a preview preference, at least for the folder in question. If you don't, you will continue to see the old preview.

The "fix" for the soft previews in CS3 was the "monitor-sized previews" starting in CS4. Prior to CS4 the preview was limited to a low rez file (I don't remember the exact pixel dimensions but it was less than half of my 24" inch wide-screen. If you used a preview larger than that, it did a very basic upsample that resulted in a soft preview.

May 09, 2010 at 07:39 PM
The Image
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

Thanks Eyeball!

May 09, 2010 at 09:49 PM
The Image
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Previews soft in Bridge CS5 (Solved)

The issue has been resolved, to get sharp previews in Bridge CS5 and the Camera window click the Generate Monitor Sized Preview option in Bridge preferences in the advanced pane, then purge the cache the close Bridge, all should be good after that.

May 09, 2010 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password