Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2010 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Take your time. It's not a short article. But I think it's well worth reading.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=486&Itemid=1

My personal guess is that within 10-15 years there will be no cameras with mirrors and shutters.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 23, 2010 at 07:29 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

These cameras will eat market share from upper-end P&S and low-end SLRs. That's it. Also, the mirror is needed if you want to split the light for phase-detect AF and the shutter for not having blooming and such artefacts in high EV situation.

Feb 23, 2010 at 07:58 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I believe theses issues are solvable in the near future given technical advancements.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:06 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

An EVIL-type camera would be nice to have so long as it uses EF lenses. I'm not that in love with the analog viewfinder and the limitation of AF in light in which you would need ISO 102,400

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:11 AM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Will we see the M4/3 equivalent of the current long/fast lenses that Canon and Nikon make available?

Besides, a big body simply feels better in the hand than the current crop of tiny little P & S lookalikes available in M4/3, so the main advantage of the format - small bodies - is a positive disincentive for me...

Panos is right, I reckon.

Edited on Feb 23, 2010 at 08:29 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:19 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I would rather have Canon revolutionise the shape of their DSLRs than worry about micro 4/3. Holding a cheap camcorder feels more comfortable than a more expensive DSLR, less strain on the wrist specially with heavy lens attached.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:24 AM
systemlayers
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I'd rather see canon and nikon focus on lower noise at high iso and higher dynamic range (would really love that to be pushed much farther in coming years).
The other manufacturers can and are doing great innovative things without mirrors but i think it'll be a long while yet before canon and nikon just jump on the bandwagon.
If canon does change it will be in their lower end DSLRs, but only if they feel a real market threat.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:26 AM
systemlayers
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

n0b0 wrote:
I would rather have Canon revolutionise the shape of their DSLRs than worry about micro 4/3. Holding a cheap camcorder feels more comfortable than a more expensive DSLR, less strain on the wrist specially with heavy lens attached.

??

I have a canon HV20 with a 35mm adapter and FD 50mm lens attatched.... let me tell you... not that comfortable.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:28 AM
Canongarcon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I think the author of this article suffers from wishful thinking. Even he admits Olympus is way down there on DSLR sales.

The 4-3 format will have it's niche, but I don't think I will ever see a camera the size of a EP1 with an 400mm 2.8 lens at an NFL game.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:31 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Nikon has Patents for a mirrorless camera design:

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/10/16/its-a-nikon-patents-friday-nikon-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera.aspx

I'm sure Nikon will enter that market within the next few years, and I'm sure Canon will develop a EVF camera/camera system too.

The EVF cameras (and the technology) is only at the early stages, I'm sure after a few generations of cameras and as the niche continues to develop, and technology advances, we will see some serious cameras rivalling the traditional SLR. Look at how the d/SLR market developed over the last 10 years!

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:34 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

dolina wrote:
An EVIL-type camera would be nice to have so long as it uses EF lenses. I'm not that in love with the analog viewfinder and the limitation of AF in light in which you would need ISO 102,400

Such a camera will not be EVIL. On the contrary, it will be good for you. As good as MILC.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:38 AM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Here's my favorite 4/3 info & rumors site:

http://43rumors.com/

I follow m4/3 and consider buying GH1 and its included HD kit lens and 7-14mm f4:

$1189+$1099=$2,288

$2,288 is alot of money for me to spend on another camera system when I could instead use the funds for another new Canon lens or maybe used Nikon lens to adapt to Canon.

I've really been considering a 17mm TSE or 300mm 2.8 IS or ...

$2288 is alot to spend on a m4/3 test drive, still though m4/3 is fun to read about.

If m4/3 costs were similar to point & shoot I'd buy & try. No one locally carries the Panasonic m4/3. If I wanted HD Dslr $2288 would about cover a 5D Mark II and I'd need no extra lenses.

So I"ll make due with 5D Classic & live without video capture & cool articulating viewscreen.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:54 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Yakim Peled wrote:
Take your time. It's not a short article. But I think it's well worth reading.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=486&Itemid=1

My personal guess is that within 10-15 years there will be no cameras with mirrors and shutters.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I agree. The mirror and shutter are really sort of artifacts from pure mechanical cameras. I would think a couple of key technologies such as LCD displays (3D perhaps) leading to better EVFs will probably have a big part of making this come true. As well, with CPU technology increases on the way (more MIPS per battery watt), I think this is inevitable.

J.

Feb 23, 2010 at 08:59 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I would like to see Canon move into the 70MM sensor size using the 1 series bodies insead of downsizing. Think of the possibilitys of having the capability of 35MM 1D speeds and handling at 70MM.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:07 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

Mr.Lindy wrote:
Here's my favorite 4/3 info & rumors site:

http://43rumors.com/

I follow m4/3 and consider buying GH1 and its included HD kit lens and 7-14mm f4:

$1189+$1099=$2,288

$2,288 is alot of money for me to spend on another camera system when I could instead use the funds for another new Canon lens or maybe used Nikon lens to adapt to Canon.

I've really been considering a 17mm TSE or 300mm 2.8 IS or ...

$2288 is alot to spend on a m4/3 test drive, still though m4/3 is fun to read about.

Those 2 lenses you mentioned are in the high end of the MTF system. Just like any system, if you want the good glass, you will have to pay a premium to get it.

If you want a cheap entry into the system, you could either buy a Olympus E-P1, E-PL1, Panasonic GF-1, or G1 which are priced around what you would be paying for a high end P&S.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:15 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

There is nothing that the "micro 4/3" format can do that can't be done with an APS-C format sensor, or a full frame sensor for that matter. It's the mirrorless design that Canon needs to work on, if they're not already. I think we'll see a mirrorless camera from Canon soon.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:17 AM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I have zero interest in the Olympus offers. So its either Panasonic GH-1, the future GH-2 or nothing when it comes to m4/3. I've seen some great images posted on the net with 7-14mm Panny. The HD kit lens comes with GH1 so my options are limited.

Thus the $2288 price tag or nothing.

EOS20 wrote:

Those 2 lenses you mentioned are in the high end of the MTF system. Just like any system, if you want the good glass, you will have to pay a premium to get it.

If you want a cheap entry into the system, you could either buy a Olympus E-P1, E-PL1, Panasonic GF-1, or G1 which are priced around what you would be paying for a high end P&S.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:25 AM
nads
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

MILC will be the dominant form factor in the relatively near future for the same reason that compact, zoom 35mm bodies dominated the camera landscape in the mid 90's

Face it, in the real world these bodies are plenty good enough for 95% of the people who want something more than a point and shoot.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:36 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

I don't think micro Four Thirds sales have had any measurable impact on Canon sales... mFT success has come at the expense of Olympus's regular Four Thirds sales.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:39 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is Micro FourThirds Raining on Canon's Parade?

As stated earlier the m4/3 is competition for low end DSLRs and the high-end carryables like the G series. However, I think it could also be competition for the mid range DSLRs for many people.

I had orders for both the G11 and the s90 and bought the GF1 with 20 mm f1.7 instead. It costs more but its pictures quality is very good which I expected. However, In doing some comparisons I surprised to find that the image quality was often as good or better than my 1dMK3. Now a GF1 cannot match the AF and frame rate of the 1dMK3, but it does have 15 or so user selectable focus points that work well, all of your expected metering modes, raw support, reasonable focusing speed and shot to shot times, and a wide array of lenses which provide the equivalent of 400 mm to 14 mm of coverage. Also some of the lenses are pretty fast and have shallow DOF. As a result I could definitely see someone getting a micro 4/3 instead of say a 50D or Nikon D90.

Feb 23, 2010 at 09:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password