New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

Marco
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

Hi all,

I just got the ZF.2 Distagon 21 and Distagon 35.

I love 'em both but I noticed my 21 sample has wobbly hood. While rotating to mount it (bayonet-style) it's tight, but after locking in position it is loose into the guide.
Is it normal?

I also noticed that it flares much with the sun into the frame at certain angles.

ZF.2 21 @ f/7.1

http://i.pbase.com/o2/98/10898/1/120206373.i1O7tFV0.21ZFflare.jpg

And for comparison the 14-24 @ f/7.1 (not free from flare but much better)

http://i.pbase.com/o2/98/10898/1/120206375.j3ejfG7D.1424flare.jpg

These are 100% crops where you can see that the Zeiss maintains better contrast and details but overall I can't say that this lens is a winner when shooting into the sun

http://i.pbase.com/o2/98/10898/1/120206376.SOLtYDXj.1424vs21flarecrop.jpg

I'm just curious if this is a normal behaviour for this lens, because apart from the flare in certain conditions (if I change the frame a bit the lens is almost flare-free) and the "wobbly" hood (which I don't use anyway...) I just love this lens.
Color differentiation, microcontrast, sharpness at any aperture and well into the corners, handling and construction are simply top notch.

As for the Distagon 35, it is just on par with the best qualities described above plus very nice bokeh, no flare and a perfect hood

Thanks for any input.

Dec 12, 2009 at 04:44 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

No hood on the planet will help you out in those conditions with the D21. My main gripe with the Distagon 21 when I had it (the old Contax version) was that it was very prone to flare. Except for that it is an excellent lens.

If the hood is wobbly you should see probably see some sort of deviation in the curvature on the hood mount - is it metal or plastic? Is it "bendy" / does it flex a little just prior to locking? Check those little protrusions that are supposed to guide/lock it in place.

For Contax G I had the Biogon 21/2.8 at the same time which was an amazing lens and it took quite an effort to make it flare. There was not even a hood supplied for the lens as Zeiss deemed it unnecessary. It is of course a rangefinder design but it was stunning and the reason why I sold the SLR Distagon 21 at the time.

Dec 12, 2009 at 04:53 AM
Marco
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

Yes, I know that no hood would help here

Frankly I'm not sure it helps even when shading the sun out of the frame, because in those conditions I'm finding that the 21 has no flare at all.

There's no bending on the hood, nor curvature on the bayonet, indeed when it is locked it doesn't rotate anymore, but it's a little loose front-back. Nothing to worry about, considering also that I won't gonna use it , but it's something I didn't expect from Zeiss (or Cosina, that is).

I agree with you about the Biogon 21. Many rangefinder wides are better than most SLR wides and they are all so small...!

Btw, here's another comparison with the 14-24

http://i.pbase.com/o2/98/10898/1/120207110.KOjPmH4U.21vs1424size.jpg

Although it isn't a small lens, the 21 is quite a bit more compact and lighter than the Nikkor (one of the reasons why I'll probably keep it).

Dec 12, 2009 at 05:48 AM
eplastiq
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

I don't know if you're refering to this, but my ZE plannar 50 hood has a little movement back and forth when mounted. but if you look carefully, you have to "press" the hood a little against the lens to unmount it, and this is the wobbly movement the hood has. it doesn't get stuck, it has some movement when mounted. at least in my copy it probably is a prenvention measure to avoid losing the hood accidentally.

sorry for the spelling if there is something wrong

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

My hood has a slightly loose feel to it, although it almost certainly doesn't affect its function. It is a little odd coming from a German company, but not a big deal in the end.

Dec 12, 2009 at 01:03 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

My Zeiss 21 metal hood also jiggles a wee bit after being put in place. However the hood has a very positive turn/click action when being put on. There are 3 orientations of the hood, 2 of which are wrong. Lining up a white dot on the outside of the hood with a very small black dot on the lens edge is the only correct (non vignetting) orientation. I guess I am too familiar with Canon hoods.
Mike K

Dec 12, 2009 at 02:03 PM
Marco
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

Thank you guys.

No problem then with my sample

Dec 13, 2009 at 07:04 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

Mike K wrote:
There are 3 orientations of the hood, 2 of which are wrong. Lining up a white dot on the outside of the hood with a very small black dot on the lens edge is the only correct (non vignetting) orientation.
Mike K

+1

None of my 4 ZE ( 21, 35, 50, 85) hoods move, sorry.
As regards flare, my ZE 21 is excellent, though of course not perfect when shooting straight into the sun. I consider it to be better than my ZE 35. YMMV

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM
ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss ZF.2 21 f/2.8 - questions

The quality of Zeiss ZF and ZM lenses are not very consistent. I have a Zeiss 50/1.5 ZM that has a wobbly focusing ring and I have to send it for repair service. My ZF 35/2 is, on the other hand, very solid. I didn't expect that type quality difference from Zeiss/Cosnia. Years ago, the Contax/Zeiss lenses were more consistent in build quality.

Dec 14, 2009 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password