Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2009 · Lightweight travel kit...

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightweight travel kit...

How about a Panasonic GF-1 and a couple of lenses? This would all fit in very small package and not attract much attention.

Dec 09, 2009 at 03:41 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightweight travel kit...

First off: envious of your trip... sounds like a blast.

From what I've learned the greatest evil/pain of traveling camera system is lens length above a certain threshold. Far more than weight. It's that big element sitting out front that exhausts you more than anything else. IOW comfort difference between your two 50's is negligible, and you like the 50/1.4 more, and it's less likely to get destroyed in your travels. So I'd take that.

So we've already got:

XTI + 17-35 (12-24 is out)

I'd take the 24/1.4 and the 50/1.4 for the 5D. You'll have an 80mm framing on the XTI with the 50mm, and I believe you have a 24/1.4 mk1, so 77mm filters across the board. Score.

The 135 would be a cracker for compressed landscapes (mountains!) and headshots/portraits (but the 50 will do just fine here), but it's a lot of weight for this type of an endeavor. It's nearly identical in size and weight to my 24-105, which was the limits of my long-term holding patience/ability. 70-200 is outright for me.

The more out of the city you are, the more interesting the 135 becomes. I'd definitely bring it if you were talking about the 135/2.8 SF, since it's half the weight.

This is where I'd want an old, slow, manual focus 135-200mm lens that gives you all you need at F8. While not necessarily a lot lighter, without aft motors and the like, they're a lot smaller. But no purchases, so that's out.

So the 12-24 is out for sure (but surely have it mailed to you if you love composing wider than 17mm)... as is the canon 50/1.8.

Dec 09, 2009 at 05:17 PM
Beauchamp
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightweight travel kit...

Thanks for the thoughtful response Daniel, but you did a piss poor job of talking me out of the 135. I'm thinking more and more that it's a given. I just love the damn thing, and can handle having the little bit of extra weight in my bag. Beyond that, I'm leaning toward the Siggy 50, and using the Tammy when I need to go wider.

Decisions, decisions.

And yes, I plan to have most of what we don't travel with shipped to us in Thailand (laptop, full size tripod, 12-24, 70-200, Sigma 30mm for my wife, etc.).

Dec 09, 2009 at 05:37 PM
catfriend
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightweight travel kit...

Take the 70-200 (and for the weight I hope it's a 4 and not the 2.8). At some point during your travels you will see some wildlife or something far away and you will regret not having the reach. It may be tigers, or birds at Keoladeo, or a Nepalese mountainscape you want to compress. Who knows? But if you don't take anything longer than 135 you'll lose the ability to get those shots.

Dec 09, 2009 at 08:47 PM
wescoe

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightweight travel kit...

I know you said no new gear but my gut reaction was a 1.4x teleconverter when I read you had a 135. That'd give you reach out to 190mm with your 5D and 300mm with the XTi. A TC is small, light and relatively cheap and would afford you quite a bit of flexibility in your setup where space/weight is of the utmost concern.

Just my $.02 of course.

Dec 09, 2009 at 09:05 PM
Beauchamp
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightweight travel kit...

Thanks guys. The 70-200 is the big kahuna, so it stays home. Period. The TC is an interesting idea, but I just don't have big aspirations for wildlife photography. It would make a nice gift for my wife though. She really likes birding.

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:38 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightweight travel kit...

Beauchamp wrote:
Thanks guys. I should be clear: I will not be able to buy new gear for this. I'll be bringing only from what I already have.

It looks very easy to me then:
24L + 50 (Sigma) + 135L

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:47 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lightweight travel kit...

I agree, it doesn't seem hard to me at all -- 24L, Siggy and 135L. Done and done.
Paul

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:42 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lightweight travel kit...

If you don't mind carrying it all I too vote for 24L, 50/1.4 and 135L.

I adore my 5D and 50L and it's my by far most used kit. Since I never want to take 50L off and hate switching lenses, instead of upgrading to 5DII I decided to get a second 5D and on photo walks around home I happily carry two 5Ds, 24LII and 50L. This also works well on road trips and other times when I don't have to walk very far (but then I also add my 70-200/4IS).

However, it's too heavy for traveling with a lot of walking, so I have been agonizing over how to solve that. Recently I got a Panasonic G1 with 14-45 and 20/1.7 lenses (~28-90 and 40mm on this sensor) and I have to say that I'm VERY impressed with its image quality, especially with the 20mm.

The next time we're traveling light I will bring either..:

5D+50L and G1+14-45
or 5D+24LII and G1+20/1.7.
or for really light weight maybe even just G1, 14-45 and 20/1.7.

Dec 10, 2009 at 08:40 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lightweight travel kit...

Given the non-new-gear decree: 24L, 50 (lean sig), 135L.

24mm f/1.4 prime is far more useful-- specially to a prime guy, and in that part of the world-- than 28mm f/2.8 connected to a zoom.

The non-touristy, near-the-beach, has-a-language-school-that-will-hire-falang is a tough proposition. Exists, but you'll probably have to do some searching. Surat Thani is a MAJOR tourist hub-- and most of the beaches in that area are flooded with pasty-skinned foreigners. Of course, if you're willing to accept a short commute, you can find a place to live outside even the most touristy town (except on many of the islands, where the touristy-area is the whole thing) where you'll only speak Thai and interact with Thai folks.... ขอให้คุณโชคดีกับทุกสิ่งที่คุณจะทำในวันข้างหน้าครับ

Dec 10, 2009 at 09:25 AM
Beauchamp
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lightweight travel kit...

Thanks Russ. We've never been to Thailand, unfortunately, so we have a lot to learn. I understood that Surat was a major hub, but based on what I've read, it sounded like most tend to just pass through.

Your comment made me think of this:

Away from tourists
Near the Beach
Has language school that will hire Farang

Pick two.

I guess we'll see what we can find hen we get over there.

Cheers,
Chris

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM
jkermani
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lightweight travel kit...

Such an exciting itenerary and I hope you will post photos from your hikes. How are you getting from Iran to India? Afghanistan is in the middle or maybe you'll go through Pakistan or fly out, just curious. Iranians are very friendly and gracious hosts and love Americans so as long as you do what you say you are doing when you enter, you will be fine.

Jeanette

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:52 PM
jkermani
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lightweight travel kit...

I just noticed you're Canadian, Iranians love Canadians too.

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:54 PM
Beauchamp
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lightweight travel kit...

As of now, we plan to fly from Iran to India, but we don't have flights booked yet. We're going to play it by ear. We'd love to go to Pakistan, but from what I can tell, it's just not a good time to be traveling across the portions of it we'd need to travel across.

And yes, I will certainly post some pics, although it may be very occasional. I've decided to lug around the gear I plan to take for a while before we go and see what I can justify weight-wise. I don't think it'll be an issue to bring the 3 primes (24L, 50 1.8, 135L), except that I'll literally have to carry them everywhere we go. That might become a bit of a liability in places, and a bit tiresome babysitting them at all times. Having less gear would be simpler, but I do love those two L lenses.

Thanks again for all the input everyone, it has given me much to think about.

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:03 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lightweight travel kit...

Beauchamp wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful response Daniel, but you did a piss poor job of talking me out of the 135. I'm thinking more and more that it's a given. I just love the damn thing, and can handle having the little bit of extra weight in my bag. Beyond that, I'm leaning toward the Siggy 50, and using the Tammy when I need to go wider.

Decisions, decisions.

And yes, I plan to have most of what we don't travel with shipped to us in Thailand (laptop, full size tripod, 12-24, 70-200, Sigma 30mm for my wife, etc.).

If your wife is cool with basically going camera + 2 lenses and you having camera + 2 lenses, 17-35, 24, 50, 135 is a great combo. It IS a compromise though weight wise.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying (or long term renting) the 135mm + 1.4x for my next big trip, whenever or whatever that is. On my month through Europe I took that 70-200, which came in handy on such few occasions and I always felt self conscious using it. Much more of a burden than I wanted. The 135mm being smaller is surely better handling than the 70-200 (not so much in theft interest though). A 1.4x would be a great addition too.

On the data storage front: I went from hostel to hostel, which all had computers, so I just brought a usb card reader, enough gb of cards, and an usb portable hard drive. Don't know what your situation will be computer wise, but an internet cafe would work too. Are you planning on buying a computer there or having one mailed to you in Thailand?

Shoot raw + small jpeg and send some of those photos home (esp if you shrink them down with irfanview)

Have a wonderful time and share lots of photos, please ;-) One of the best things I did was keep a journal along the way.

Best,
Daniel

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:49 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lightweight travel kit...

Beauchamp wrote:
Thanks guys. I should be clear: I will not be able to buy new gear for this. I'll be bringing only from what I already have.

So, my original plan maybe: a 50mm and the 135? I can always borrow the Tammy for wide shots.

Justruss: We're not sure where we're going to settle in Thailand. We need to scope it out first. I think relatively close beaches would be a plus. Somewhere somewhat off the tourist track but still of decent size. We were thinking Surat Thani, but we'll see.

If you are settling in Thailand for a year or more to teach English, maybe you should know where to go and where to teach English it's not just to show up in Surat Thani and get that job. Especially not if you like to get a legal job and make more than five dollars a day. And you will not get a Visa so you can stay that long. So you have to go out from Thailand many times to get a new tourist visa in another country all the time

Dec 10, 2009 at 04:49 PM
Beauchamp
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lightweight travel kit...

Lars Johnsson wrote:
If you are settling in Thailand for a year or more to teach English, maybe you should know where to go and where to teach English it's not just to show up in Surat Thani and get that job. Especially not if you like to get a legal job and make more than five dollars a day. And you will not get a Visa so you can stay that long. So you have to go out from Thailand many times to get a new tourist visa in another country all the time

I appreciate that you obviously know a lot more about the country than two people who have never been there. So you would also know that acquiring legal work visas must be done from within Thailand in collaboration with an employer sponsor, and that the best way to do this is to actually "show up and get that job." We don't intend to get jobs under the table, but we also don't intend to pick a place to live before we've ever stepped foot in the country. The plan is to spend 1-2 months in Thailand before even applying for jobs, and then have our necessary visa application documents (like our degrees) sent to us. Suarat Thani seems to offer some of the things we're looking for in a place to live for a year, but it's only a suggestion at this point, as we've never even been there.

We happen to be two well-educated people with relevant experience for decent teaching positions within the Thai education system, or perhaps the private sector. We're not doing this as a holiday or some lark on the sly, but rather as a sincere attempt to try something new and apply our skills in meaningful ways.

I'll admit I have not had a chance to research every detail of that portion of our plan yet, but I have done enough research to know that it is a feasible plan.

Maybe PM me if you want to talk about this further.

Dec 10, 2009 at 06:50 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lightweight travel kit...

Beauchamp. I have been to Thailand a few time and last time ('06) met a couple of English teachers there, and they did it the same way you did. Arrive in country, get a feel for the place, where you want to spend time, talk with other teachers, begin networking and then go apply officially for exactly the job you want. I would never do something like this only over the internet and phone, go there and get a sense for the place and enjoy!

Dec 10, 2009 at 07:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lightweight travel kit...

Beauchamp wrote:
I appreciate that you obviously know a lot more about the country than two people who have never been there. So you would also know that acquiring legal work visas must be done from within Thailand in collaboration with an employer sponsor, and that the best way to do this is to actually "show up and get that job." We don't intend to get jobs under the table, but we also don't intend to pick a place to live before we've ever stepped foot in the country. The plan is to spend 1-2 months in Thailand before even applying for
...Show more

""So you would also know that acquiring legal work visas must be done from within Thailand in collaboration with an employer""

No it's not like this at all with the legal work visa. It's nearly the opposite instead. I have been living in Bangkok many years. And also have had all kind of different visa's.(about 50 visas to Thailand)
This is what my embassy write on the legal work visa, the last time I got their paper. It's also on their website.

- It is recommended that the applicant apply for a visa at the Thai Embassy/
Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence

Also remember that there arrive ten thousends and more of backpackers & others every year with the intention of getting "English teaching jobs" in every part of Thailand

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Beauchamp
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lightweight travel kit...

Hi Lars,

Thanks for challenging me, as it has spurred me on to more research. While I was wrong in saying that acquiring the visa "must" be done in collaboration with an employer, I was not wrong in that it can be done in collaboration with an employer. The other option is converting a tourist visa with at least 21 days left on it into the non-immigrant B visa, after a visa run.

Either way, it is possible to acquire the visa, legally, from within Thailand. Besides, coming back to Canada specifically for a visa run just doesn't make any sense for us.

"Also remember that there arrive ten thousends and more of backpackers & others every year with the intention of getting "English teaching jobs" in every part of Thailand"

We know. The whole world is competitive. If we thought we couldn't hack it, we'd probably just stay in bed all day. As I already said, we are more qualified and well-intentioned than a lot of the farang who turn up. If that's not good enough for you, then oh well.

Chris

EDIT: Sorry for getting OT. I personally won't post anything else here not related to photography. Just wanted to clear up the info so anyone else looking at this thread in the future would know that there are options out there, like those we are planning.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:31 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.