Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

bp044

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

The PhotoClam seems to be getting good reviews and is approx. $90 cheaper. Is the Q3 worth the extra money ?

Dec 05, 2009 at 05:15 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

I don't think anybody can tell yet. PhotoClam are new and people that own the ballhead have only used it a short time.

Dec 06, 2009 at 03:41 AM
godzakka
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

I can't say it's better or worse...I can say I am very happy with the quality of the Photoclam (I have the PC-36) and it can easily hold a Sigma 150-500OS in light wind without worry.

Dec 06, 2009 at 02:24 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

bp044 wrote:
The PhotoClam seems to be getting good reviews and is approx. $90 cheaper. Is the Q3 worth the extra money ?

Which one of the many Photoclam heads are you talking about ?

Dec 06, 2009 at 02:46 PM
bp044

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Which one of the many Photoclam heads are you talking about ?

Either the PC-33NS or the PC-36n

Dec 06, 2009 at 03:20 PM
AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

I use a PC-44NS and I am absolutely happy with it. I plan on buying a PC-40N for my new travel tripod. The reason I'm looking at the 40 instead of the 36 is because it's only marginally larger and can support more weight. It's just a hair bigger than the Markins Q3

Dec 06, 2009 at 11:29 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

I have 36 and 40. Sold my Q3 after I got my 36.
PhotoClam ballheads are way better than Markins for any traveler kind of tripods.
I posted my review a couple of months ago.

Dec 07, 2009 at 12:22 AM
Billdev

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

I have the PC-33NS on my Feisol 3441S tripod and I am very happy with it. I don't have the Markins Q3 to compare it with, but I do have the Markins M-20 and my opinion is that the Photo Clam is the equal to Markins in quality.

Dec 07, 2009 at 04:28 PM
irispatch
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

I have both a Q3 and a PC 330N The PC definatly fits the travel tripods better. Finish and performance have been great for me. Holds steady and unlike the Q3 it can be tightend enought to not come unscrewed from the tripod.... I am having a devil of a time keeping the Q3 on my Gitzo explorer. I really do not want to resort to loctite.

Dec 09, 2009 at 11:40 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

irispatch wrote:
I have both a Q3 and a PC 330N The PC definatly fits the travel tripods better. Finish and performance have been great for me. Holds steady and unlike the Q3 it can be tightend enought to not come unscrewed from the tripod.... I am having a devil of a time keeping the Q3 on my Gitzo explorer. I really do not want to resort to loctite.

I'd very much like to see a teardown on the PC stuff.

Why are you having a tough time getting it to stay. I haven an M20 and a Q3T and neither is a problem. Sounds odd.

J.

Dec 10, 2009 at 09:04 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

irispatch wrote:

Then you must do something wrong. I have no problem to keep my Q3 on any tripod that I have used it on, including Gitzo tripods

Dec 12, 2009 at 02:47 AM
hdan
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

My first impressions of the Photoclam PC-33N:

I have both a Markins M10 and Photoclam PC-33N (no bubble level, no friction control screw, no friction scale as on the PC-33NS). I purchased the PC-33N for $135 US shipped.

The PC-33N has a better pan lock than the Markins. The metal of the ball housing on the PC-33N feels more like the Kirk BH-3 I used to own: it feels more like bare metal whereas the Markins' housing feels silky, more like suede. From my recollection, I think the PC-33's housing is better finished the Kirk.

The main friction knob on the PC-33 allows more than 180 degrees of rotation. The Markins is roughly half that and is consequently faster to lock. With my 5D and 70-200 f/2.8 IS, the PC-33 required more rotation of the friction knob to obtain a complete lock compared to what I've been accustomed to on the Markins. In this case, I prefer the Markins' short throw from least tension to full lock with the 5D/70-200 combo. The main friction knob on the PC-33 does not feel as well-damped as the M10. The PC-33 main friction knob has a looser feel throughout its range, sometimes ever so slightly grainy compared to the M10.

Operationally, the PC-33 provides a solid lock with the 5D/70-200 combo. My main use for the PC-33 will be for traveling lightly, so I believe it can more than handle the anticipated loads. The PC-33 can provide enough tension and still allow smooth manipulation of the 5D/70-200 combo when not locked. I'll need to investigate this more. When locked, the PC-33 does not droop with the 5D/70-200 combo anymore than the M10 (which is to say there is no drooping as far as I can tell).

Hopefully, I will get a chance to use the PC-33 more in the coming days to provide a better comparison against the Markins M10.

Dec 12, 2009 at 03:50 AM
bp044

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PhotoClam as good as Markins Q3 ?

hdan wrote:
My first impressions of the Photoclam PC-33N:

I have both a Markins M10 and Photoclam PC-33N (no bubble level, no friction control screw, no friction scale as on the PC-33NS). I purchased the PC-33N for $135 US shipped.

The PC-33N has a better pan lock than the Markins. The metal of the ball housing on the PC-33N feels more like the Kirk BH-3 I used to own: it feels more like bare metal whereas the Markins' housing feels silky, more like suede. From my recollection, I think the PC-33's housing is better finished the Kirk.

The main friction knob on the PC-33
...Show more

I believe the the 33NS which has a larger ball and friction control would be a fairer comparison to the Markins Q3 . Another question is the durability of the PhotoClam brand

Dec 12, 2009 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.