New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · James Krenov...

Albert Taylor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · James Krenov...

The renowned cabinetmaker who started the fine woodworking program at College of the Redwoods in northern California where I studied for a year passed away Wednesday. This is a picture I took of him in his shop while I was there.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:04 PM
Brian Goodman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · James Krenov...

I really love portraits where we see individuals with their craft. There is something captured of the person, their comfort with their space and the story of their elements.

What did you take it with?
I see some central light, I presume a skylight?

Thanks for sharing!

Sep 12, 2009 at 08:37 AM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · James Krenov...

Great for memorializing. To see someone in their element like this is a family treasure of a shot.
-Tim

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:37 AM
Albert Taylor
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · James Krenov...

Thanks Brian and Tim. His shop was designed to catch a lot of natural light. When he realized I was going to take some pictures he picked up the hammer used to tune the wooden handplanes. He wanted to have that in his hand for the pictures. When he died he had a small piece of wood in his hand.

This was one of the last of the small cabinets he built before his eyesight became so poor he could no longer build. He then began making only wooden handplanes which he could do by feel, and shortly before his death he had stopped that as well...

In answer to your question Brian, I took this with a cheap point and shoot 35mm camera. I posted it in my Flickr account and in the exif data there it says it was an HP digital point and shoot. I think it got confused because I scanned the photograph with an HP scanner.

Sep 12, 2009 at 05:09 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · James Krenov...

Beautiful portrait. Much empathy there.
The background above his head however crowds it slightly.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:59 AM
jcw1982
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · James Krenov...

Nice photograph Albert. I never meet him but certainly knew of him, and read his books. Very sad of his and Sam Maloof's passing, especially so close together. They will be deeply missed.

Sep 13, 2009 at 06:59 PM
Albert Taylor
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · James Krenov...

Thanks Kaden. I wanted to get him next to his cabinet and I'm not really bothered by the background. It was his shop and what was in it. I think I should try to straighten out the lens curvature that shows up in the windows though.

Sep 13, 2009 at 07:05 PM
Albert Taylor
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · James Krenov...

Thanks jcw1982. I attended the first class after his official retirement but he was still visiting in and out of the class and got to talk to him at his home and shop a good bit. He was a feisty old dude..

: )

I remember first reading his books back in the 70's when I was just beginning my woodworking and his words really clicked with me. I was really drawn to his almost spiritual connection with the wood and his attention to detail. How all the parts, the grain, the color, the texture of the wood can work together in harmony. Never thinking when he started the fine woodworking program there in the 80's I would ever get a chance to study there...

It's good to know that his spirit will live on through the teachings in places like College of the Redwoods Fine Woodworking program, Four Sisters Woodworking, Inside Passage, and Rosewood Studio, and the various studios of former students all over the world.

Sep 13, 2009 at 07:31 PM
Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · James Krenov...

The guy was an artist in the most literal sense of the word. Quite a woodworker of the old school. Now he and Sam Maloof have left quite a legacy. I could only gape at his artistry, never emulate it. Cool and meaningful portrait. Thanks.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Albert Taylor
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · James Krenov...

Thanks Tim. Yes, there will be those who will try to argue that functional objects can never be art, but he was a true artist.

Sep 14, 2009 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.