1       2       3              76      
       78              221       222       end

Archive 2009 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

scott f
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.77 #1 · p.77 #1 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

John McLean wrote:
Here is a post on DPR which indicates he received his 7D and has a US address. His posting was messed up so he eventually posted some 3200 with NO NR... the images are on this thread...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33151301

I have a email in to my supplier asking about incomming or shipment so hope to hear something...

IMO, that image isn't very impressive. To me, there are two issues of importance at high ISO. One , is noise, and the other, is detail. IMO, noise is okay, as long as there is fine detail to work with, but if the detail is lacking, then the low levels of noise don't mean as much, at least to me.
I am quite impressed with the detail on ISO6400 on the 5D2, so far I haven't seen an image that shows a lot of detail at higher ISO's on the 7D that gives that same impression, not to say it is bad, just that it doesn't come close. But, in fairness , I haven't really found a properly exposed image of subject matter that I feel confident about evaluating either.
It always makes me nervous when qualifiers, like, "don't judge the IQ too harshly, as it is pre-production" are thrown out. If I was dropping a camera out for reviews, pre-production or not, it would be representative of the final product, after all, isn't that the point of getting the product out to reviewers?
Just my 2 cents..........having said all of that..........I'm waiting and hoping the best for mine, which hopefully arrives next week!

Sep 25, 2009 at 04:54 PM
TEASER
• • •
p.77 #2 · p.77 #2 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Levittown, PA
I just confirmed my local dealer will have them in this coming Tuesday
I also confimed my buddy and I are 4th on the pre order list of abot 20 or more.

*Crosses Fingers*

Keith

Sep 25, 2009 at 05:20 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.77 #3 · p.77 #3 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

For God sake this is f/2.8 on a crop sensor which has been cropped (super cropped) from a large amount of jpg data.

scott f wrote:
IMO, that image isn't very impressive. To me, there are two issues of importance at high ISO. One , is noise, and the other, is detail. IMO, noise is okay, as long as there is fine detail to work with, but if the detail is lacking, then the low levels of noise don't mean as much, at least to me.
I am quite impressed with the detail on ISO6400 on the 5D2, so far I haven't seen an image that shows a lot of detail at higher ISO's on the 7D that gives that same impression, not to say
...Show more

Sep 25, 2009 at 06:42 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.77 #4 · p.77 #4 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

skibum5 wrote:
no, it's not strictly the sensor itself, just whether they carefully balance the readouts from it, even a few people got 5D2's that have the maze artifacts although hardly any copies had that defect, nothing general about the 5D2 at all.

Is this what you mean by maze artifacts?

Sep 25, 2009 at 07:06 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.77 #5 · p.77 #5 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

skibum5 wrote:
if you look at the RAW samples from IR you can see lots of sensor artifacting from imbalanced channels, hopefully only a few pre-pro units have that issue....

I cannot see maze artifacts in the IR pics I downloaded. Can you point out which ones are the worst?

Sep 25, 2009 at 07:17 PM
John McLean
• •
p.77 #6 · p.77 #6 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Well with the few deliveries of the 7D I have not seen any images on DPR threads that come close to showing what the camera is capable of. One posting of food on a plate, blank walls and a few pets makes me wonder if the poster had ever used a SLR before. The six from HK were good examples of the IQ but not really designed to show anything about the capability. I processed the jpg's and got nice results however.

Here are two of them:

Sep 25, 2009 at 08:13 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.77 #7 · p.77 #7 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Yeah, one guy posted a blurry rabbit and white walls for all ISOs

John McLean wrote:
Well with the few deliveries of the 7D I have not seen any images on DPR threads that come close to showing what the camera is capable of. One posting of food on a plate, blank walls and a few pets makes me wonder if the poster had ever used a SLR before. The six from HK were good examples of the IQ but not really designed to show anything about the capability. I processed the jpg's and got nice results however.

Sep 25, 2009 at 08:18 PM
Gil_W
• • •
p.77 #8 · p.77 #8 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

thw2 wrote:
I cannot see maze artifacts in the IR pics I downloaded. Can you point out which ones are the worst?

Guess I learn something every day, but this is looking at images down at the pixel level for Pete's sake. Nikon or Canon doesn't matter, will you see it in an 8x10 standing 3 feet away?

Sep 25, 2009 at 08:21 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.77 #9 · p.77 #9 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I like the 7D with the Redrock Micro gear hung all over it in that shot. You can buy a couple 7D's for the cost of that or a Zacuto rig.

Sep 25, 2009 at 09:32 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.77 #10 · p.77 #10 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

7D vs 5D2

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33154880

Sep 25, 2009 at 09:33 PM
Gil_W
• • •
p.77 #11 · p.77 #11 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

kewlcanon wrote:
7D vs 5D2

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33154880

While there are good reasons to compare the 5DmkII to the 7D, I personally think a comparison to the 50D or 40D may be more appropriate. The upgrade of the 1.6 cameras is what Canon was aiming for here. I am sure that my 40D will be bested by the 7D, at least I hope so

Sep 25, 2009 at 09:52 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.77 #12 · p.77 #12 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Agree...it's not a fair comparison. I think 7D did pretty darn good.

Gil_W wrote:
While there are good reasons to compare the 5DmkII to the 7D, I personally think a comparison to the 50D or 40D may be more appropriate. The upgrade of the 1.6 cameras is what Canon was aiming for here. I am sure that my 40D will be bested by the 7D, at least I hope so

Sep 25, 2009 at 09:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.77 #13 · p.77 #13 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

brainiac wrote:
On my 5D2's I have the set button configured to start video recording. On the 7D you even have a dedicated video button. What's wrong with hitting that and speaking into the mic about the last shot? Seems like a non-issue to me.

well each video file is not obviously tied to each still shot, it takes up a ton more space and sort of awkward to keep flipping the mirror and shutter up and down for video mode. so it works if you just need some stuff after a bunch of shots but not so well if you need to do it a lot

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:04 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.77 #14 · p.77 #14 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Well DUH!! How else are they supposed to differentiate their product if not by omitting features? Naturally any higher end products will have more features.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.77 #15 · p.77 #15 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

n0b0 wrote:
Well DUH!! How else are they supposed to differentiate their product if not by omitting features?

price

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.77 #16 · p.77 #16 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Gil_W wrote:
Guess I learn something every day, but this is looking at images down at the pixel level for Pete's sake. Nikon or Canon doesn't matter, will you see it in an 8x10 standing 3 feet away?

i'm not quite sure if that is the same mazing.

anyway it does show up at 8x10 and 3' away and canon obviously agrees since they replaced the three 5D2 owners whose bodies had it with completely new units and they don't easily do that.

but again it is hard to believe canon would release the 7D with maze artifacting as standard, i really doubt that!

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.77 #17 · p.77 #17 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it is a 12 minute video review of 7D:

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.77 #18 · p.77 #18 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

skibum5 wrote:
price

I hope you're not a businessman. lol

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM
tomhayes

p.77 #19 · p.77 #19 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

UCSB wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it is a 12 minute video review of 7D:

I got excited and thought this was a U.S. lens kit , but they show the international one. When the first U.S. kits show up I'll be even more anxious to get my hands on one. (Or two if I can't stop one of the two pre-orders.)

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.77 #20 · p.77 #20 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I agree ... I just don't understand why Canon is offering the stupid kit lens they are in the US. Why not offer the 15-85mm at least (or the other international kits)?

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password