Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #1 · p.25 #1 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

The manual is available here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300002580/01/eos7d-im-en.pdf

Sep 04, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Wolverine80

Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #2 · p.25 #2 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

For those intersted in the users manual, it has just been posted to the Canon website.

Sep 04, 2009 at 12:11 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.25 #3 · p.25 #3 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

From reading the manual it occurs to me that Auto ISO will now finally work in Manual mode (5D Mark II, ISO just sets to 400 in manual mode /w Auto ISO). Took bloody long enough, but I'm glad its there.

Sep 04, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.25 #4 · p.25 #4 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

paulfeng wrote:
Ok Yakim, you have me intrigued... what are the shortcomings you found in your 40D, none of which Canon has addressed? (Lest there be any uncertainty, this is meant as a friendly question.)

As for my perspective, as a 50D (and former 40D owner; and 30D, 20D, and 10D, yikes) - I am very happy that they appear to have addressed banding noise, and the addition of on-board command of off-camera flash is big too - for those of us who use the feature, that alone goes a long way toward justifying the price increase over the 50D (or at least
...Show more

1. Spot metering is suck in the middle. No CF to attach it to the active AF point like the 1-series.
2. Partial metering is suck in the middle. No CF to attach it to the active AF point like the Elan 7e.
3. No red AF assist on the body. The Elan 50e was the last Canon to have it.
4. AF points are too centered and the general diamond shape is not in-line with the edges of the frame, making composition on the edges more difficult. The 1D Mk III is the perfect cam in this regard IMHO.
5. No safety button on the top right wheel. My Elan 7e had it.
6. No joystick on the grip like the MB-D10.
7. Auto ISO is not well implemented. Pentax got it right.
8. No ECF. For some obscure reason only Canon's film cameras had it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 04, 2009 at 01:19 PM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.25 #5 · p.25 #5 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Yes! It looks like proper Auto ISO - set aperture, shutter speed (and EC?), let the camera roam around the ISO range to maintain those settings!

If it is, that's the deal completely done for me.

Sep 04, 2009 at 01:34 PM
allnak

p.25 #6 · p.25 #6 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Aspect ratios only in Live View??

Sep 04, 2009 at 01:39 PM
d_chiesa
• •
p.25 #7 · p.25 #7 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

allnak wrote:
Aspect ratios only in Live View??

Yes
That gizmo overlay looks a little dumb, after all...

Sep 04, 2009 at 01:50 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.25 #8 · p.25 #8 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Looks like AF point expansion and AF zone are totally different mechanisms. No wonder RG did not get good AIservo with AF zone selection.

http://ruhikant.smugmug.com/photos/639329841_bWiNw-X3.jpg

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:05 PM
dcmiller
• • • •
p.25 #9 · p.25 #9 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Thanks for the reminder of why I use just a single focus point.

Your saying RG had the camera set so that it would not hand off focus to adjacent points?

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:16 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.25 #10 · p.25 #10 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

dcmiller wrote:
Thanks for the reminder of why I use just a single focus point.

Your saying RG had the camera set so that it would not hand off focus to adjacent points?

I guess RG used the center AF zone (3rd from left; correct me if I am wrong) which has too many active AF points and
that zone is not suitable to shoot dog running IMHO (center AF point with expanded assist points might have been better setting).

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:28 PM
markhbfindlay

p.25 #11 · p.25 #11 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I like the look of this camera. In fact, it looks seriously tasty and only the high price puts me off for now. It's got some particularly good points for a photographer moving up from a 40d:
It takes my old EF-S lenses, in particular the 17-55, 10-22 and 55-250, while using my big 100-400L to the max crop advantage. All advantages over the 5d2, which I was also considering.
The image quality looks very good, even at high ISO, judging by the Rob Galbraith samples.
Video is certainly something I would like to experiment with, although I have always been a stills shooter.
19 focus points - should be good - I would like to see some proper reviews though.
It's cheaper than a 5d2
That electronic level gizmo. I get things in focus. I am not too bad judging exposure. Composition - OK but can I hold a camera straight? Nope. I'm the king of sloping oceans

Downsides -
it's heavy. At 53, your back will soon tell you that! I'm keeping my 450d 17-85mm combination for walking (I might look at the 15-85 if the reviews are good) and my G10 for cycling - actually my 40d/17-55 stays at home a lot for that reason. It really needs a car to lug it all around, especially with the 100-400mm which is BLOODY HEAVY!!

1699 quid is a lot of money. No doubt about it, and with the pound being low I'm not sure whether it will really come down in price by much after the launch. But I might buy before the end of the year when Gordon Brown's minion sticks VAT up to 17.5%.

I bought a used 24-105L a while ago, thinking that I would get the 5d2 sometime and wanted something sharper than the 17-85 meanwhile. It might get sold now as everything else covers its range and the 17-55 is wider and faster (I bought that for a wedding and it gave good results).

Everything else - the reinforced body, video, 19 focus points, lens compatibility etc etc sound just too tempting. Only my partner who frowns when I spend anything over about 50p stands in the way ...

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:33 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.25 #12 · p.25 #12 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

timbop wrote:
OK, maybe I asked the question poorly. I though standard def TV was in the 300 line range, so I was wondering how a 640x480 image would be rendered on a standard def TV. That is, would it get compressed or clipped? I assume on an HDTV it would be fine because the hdtv could insert the letterbox around the image.

regular standard TV is like 480i

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:36 PM
gman1339
• • • •
p.25 #13 · p.25 #13 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

All Canon is saying in the manual is that Zone AF has the tendancy to track the closest subject over all of the points in the group. So it could be a problem if you were shooting say soccer and the ref ran between you and the player you are trying to shoot. Autofocus may lock onto the ref and lose tracking of the player. The samples RG had problems with were not because of this. He was tracking a running dog with nothing coming between him and the dog. Nikon had implemented this same Zone Autofocus back in the D2H (they called it group dynamic) and it also worked by tracking the closest subject. This was later modified via firmware with new options to change how it behaved.

Edited on Sep 04, 2009 at 02:39 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.25 #14 · p.25 #14 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

rsg_1 wrote:
NTSC in the US provides 480 lines interlaced. Standard DVD provides 480 lines non-interlaced.

DVD usually send out 480i too. That is why PC DVD players need to use de-interlacing to show them on an LCD.

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:37 PM
robstein
• • •
p.25 #15 · p.25 #15 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

d_chiesa wrote:
Yes
That gizmo overlay looks a little dumb, after all...

Waaaat... Someone earlier in the thread got me hoping it would actually work as one would expect not only on some stupid live view... Huffs away to read the manual I guess now they are posted...

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:41 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.25 #16 · p.25 #16 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

markhbfindlay wrote:
I like the look of this camera. In fact, it looks seriously tasty and only the high price puts me off for now. It's got some particularly good points for a photographer moving up from a 40d:
It takes my old EF-S lenses, in particular the 17-55, 10-22 and 55-250, while using my big 100-400L to the max crop advantage. All advantages over the 5d2, which I was also considering.
The image quality looks very good, even at high ISO, judging by the Rob Galbraith samples.
Video is certainly something I would like to experiment with, although I have always been a stills
...Show more

It's heavy? I carry around 35 pounds in the field and I am a few days short of 60. :^) I do agree though, the lighter the better no matter what age.

Sep 04, 2009 at 02:54 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.25 #17 · p.25 #17 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I also read that the LCD overlay via the viewfinder does the aspect ratio too.

Sep 04, 2009 at 03:01 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.25 #18 · p.25 #18 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

robstein wrote:
Waaaat... Someone earlier in the thread got me hoping it would actually work as one would expect not only on some stupid live view... Huffs away to read the manual I guess now they are posted...

No, you can program the m-fn button to display it in the vf. What I am unsure of is how close to a 4:3 ratio the gridlines are. It's hard to tell, and they don't tell you line dimensions, I originally hoped that if you set an aspect ratio in the custom functions it would only show those lines, but of course that is not at all how it works. The aspect ratio is just metadata that DPP reads... makes you wonder sometimes....

Sep 04, 2009 at 03:03 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.25 #19 · p.25 #19 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

ruhikant wrote:
I guess RG used the center AF zone (3rd from left; correct me if I am wrong) which has too many active AF points and
that zone is not suitable to shoot dog running IMHO (center AF point with expanded assist points might have been better setting).

It probably hit the grass in front of the dog too and since they was close it focused on the grass always and thus his 0 out of 80 shots with focus on the dog . Actually since it never focused on the, not even once, and since some grass was always closer, this actually may have been an exceptionally GOOD result.

We'll see of course.

Sep 04, 2009 at 03:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.25 #20 · p.25 #20 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

markhbfindlay wrote:
Video is certainly something I would like to experiment with, although I have always been a stills
...Show more

i was going to say why are you calling it expensive when it not much more than the 50D had been and then I noticed you live in teh UK.... That's a rough price there! wow, sorry.

Sep 04, 2009 at 03:25 PM
1       2       3              24      
       26              221       222       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              24      
       26              221       222       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.