FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              221       222       end

Archive 2009 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

bluetsunami
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

How would the GPS function on the 7D work? Do you need some subscription service with a separate piece of hardware? I'm intrigued by this since I love using Flickr's Geotagging feature (roaming local maps).

Sep 01, 2009 at 11:04 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

bluetsunami wrote:
How would the GPS function on the 7D work? Do you need some subscription service with a separate piece of hardware? I'm intrigued by this since I love using Flickr's Geotagging feature (roaming local maps).

It seems like the new wifi adapter has the ability to communicate via bluetooth to compatible GPS devices.

No subscription necessary. The subscription fees cell phones companies charge are there because, well, you don't really have much other choice so they can.

GPS is simply a passive receiver, listening in to the transmissions made by satellites in space. It can triangulate its position simply by seeing how far away the satellites are and thus figure out its lat/long. Then just put these coordinates into the EXIF and you're done. No need for a subscription.

With cell phones, perhaps they charge for accessing the mapping and navigation abilities, but that's like google maps charging for their services. GPS tells you where you are. The mapping software, be it embedded in a GPS receiver that you carry around in your car or downloaded over the cell towers, is a totally independent component of GPS navigation.

Sep 01, 2009 at 11:14 PM
orangefirefish
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

bluetsunami wrote:

Don't know how it would connect with the 7D but on my Nikon bodies the GPS receiver plugs into the camera and gives the camera the GPS data when the shot is taken. No subscription should be needed- all the receiver has to do is get signals from 3+ satellites and it can interpolated your position. The camera just places the data in the EXIF data.

Sep 01, 2009 at 11:22 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Paper stats are indeed good. Huge improvement for Canon.

Fire Sales of 50D have begun.. I am glad I returned my 50D within 4 days

Sep 01, 2009 at 11:48 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

That sounds awesome then. Can't wait till this feature becomes in bedded in the DSLR itself (as a norm) so even the non prosumer could have their stuff tagged.

Sep 01, 2009 at 11:48 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I think you need the WFT-E5 grip if you want to use GPS on the 7D. From what I read, you connect the GPS through the USB port on the WFT-E5 grip.

Sep 02, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

EOS20 wrote:
I think you need the WFT-E5 grip if you want to use GPS on the 7D. From what I read, you connect the GPS through the USB port on the WFT-E5 grip.

I was wondering this too. Where is the USB port? I've been looking on all the pics but cannot find it. I see a 'USB' light on the WFT-E5 grip though.

Sep 02, 2009 at 12:07 AM
sav1977
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

M Vers wrote:
Right now it's just a high fly ball to center field...waiting for the wind to blow any which way. We'll see in a few weeks whether or not it makes it out.

If only they announced it at Wrigley Field with wind from the west...the ball could have landed in the world's greatest lake.

bluetsunami wrote:

You use the map in Flickr! Manually, like they did it in 2008!

Sep 02, 2009 at 12:18 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Hrow wrote:
For example, the new flash control offers options for making much better pictures in many situations even if Canon had done nothing with the sensor.

You mean, you can now cause even more subject eye-blink?

In my attempts to use "commander mode" with the built-in flash when I owned a pair of D300's, it seemed to cause subjects to blink more often. And I missed discreet focus assist.

It's good to have the option and I'm glad Canon included it, but for certain kinds of photography (candid events) this idea seemed to be better on paper than in actual use.

I do agree with your point though.

Sep 02, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

garyvot wrote:
You mean, you can now cause even more subject eye-blink?

In my attempts to use "commander mode" with the built-in flash when I owned a pair of D300's, it seemed to cause subjects to blink more often. And I missed discreet focus assist.

It's good to have the option and I'm glad Canon included it, but for certain kinds of photography (candid events) this idea seemed to be better on paper than in actual use.

I do agree with your point though.

Agreed. Glad they put it in as I'm sure some would get some use out of it, but for event photography it might not be that useful.

Sep 02, 2009 at 12:58 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Impressively speced. I'll be particularly interested to hear how the metering system works out for the early adopters.

"Far more than a slight improvement from a previous model, the EOS 7D DSLR is a brand new product that stands on its own..." Does everyone else take that to mean the end of the xxD series?

Sep 02, 2009 at 01:14 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Does anyone know where the USB is located? I can't find on the pictures.

Sep 02, 2009 at 01:18 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Looks like a very good camera on paper! Lets hope Canon have delivered where it counts and thats going to be the images on paper!

Sep 02, 2009 at 02:25 AM
willis
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I think It looks a great move for Canon but I don't have great confidence that the AF will match the 1 series for tracking because of the loss of 26 assist points which seems to have been glossed over. That said, it shows more innovation and willingness to meet customer expectations than canon has shown since the launch of the current 1DIII/1DsIII cameras.

Sep 02, 2009 at 03:04 AM
Ronan O Keeffe
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

And at last the grip has the AF-on button!

Sep 02, 2009 at 03:33 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Finally Canon let go of their arrogant dividing marketing strategy by releasing a body in between the xxD and 1D series.

We have screamed and shouted for better AF in Canon pro-sumer bodies, but none of that worked. Nope, I think we have to thank Nikon for that - by releasing their D300(s)... Without the success of the D300(s) and the huge failure of the 50D, Canon would have never released the 7D. Good old competition

So, now Nikon should hurry up releasing their D700x, and there will -finally- be some room for pro-like AF in a pro-sumer FF body. Maybe a 3D?

Sep 02, 2009 at 03:35 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Daan B wrote:
So, now Nikon should hurry up releasing their D700x, and there will -finally- be some room for pro-like AF in a pro-sumer FF body. Maybe a 3D?

Can hardly wait!

Sep 02, 2009 at 03:59 AM
rocksy
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Too bad it's 18MP.
Imagine how good the IQ could be with a 12MP sensor!!!

Sep 02, 2009 at 04:00 AM
Allan Bruce
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Rockies Photo wrote:
Here is a link on Robgalbraith.com. He had a Beta 7D & the new lenses, and posted up some sized for web images + actual images you can download that are full resolution. I've already downloaded a few, and they are 13MB JPEGS Quite the in depth detail of information & some pretty detailed pixs. Used the 16-35/2.8 II, 200/2 IS, 85/1.2 II, & others, for testing purposes.

RGB.com Review & Images from 7D

There is a lot of detail in these images however the noise levels put me off. The lighthouse was taken at ISO 100 and the top of it (grey part) shows a lot of noise. This would have been my perfect camera if it wasnt for the noise levels; perhaps they should have just cleaned up the 50D's 15MP sensor.

Sep 02, 2009 at 04:55 AM
willis
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Sorry if its been covered before but does does anyone know if the 7D has f8 AF sensitivity with centre point?

Sep 02, 2009 at 05:41 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password