The best in Canon APS-C per Gabor's analysis

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=32880471

IMHO Canon hits a home run with 7D.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:11 PM
jfulton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

While this looks like a decent camera, I'm really looking forward to seeing it's new features in the 1 and 5 series. Kudos for a fresh design approach.

Give me a FF, 18mp equivalent (same features as 7D) and I will really be impressed.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

digitalbug30d wrote:
doesnt a new sensor design mean anything? with regard to noise at High ISO if not why would Canon bother if there wasnt a difference from the 50D...not to mention 2x digic4s...amazes me

Why did they bother with the 50D when the 40D had better IQ in some situations? Resolution is a bigger problem than noise. I'm crossing fingers than the 500/4 and 800/5.6 are up to the challenge.

EBH

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:19 PM
Talia
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Questions about the 7D:

1. How do you think the viewfinder will compare to that of the 5D2 (and other FF) in terms of SIZE?

2. Does the 7D have GPS encoding?

Thanks.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:19 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

kewlcanon wrote:

Right now it's just a high fly ball to center field...waiting for the wind to blow any which way. We'll see in a few weeks whether or not it makes it out.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:21 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

EB-1 wrote:
Am I the only one not very impressed? The 50D already shows the limits of noise and resolution on the small sensor. The 7D will have more pixels, and even if the noise level is the same, what good is the difference?

EBH

I am somewhat impressed it looks great but I want to wait and see what it does a month or two after it's out on the market. I know a lot of the concern with the 50D is noise with that many MP now the 7 has added more. I see a lot of nice gimmick features some I think are very cool. But let the dust settle and I may buy one if the value of my 50D doesn't fall to far

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:26 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

EB-1 wrote:
Why did they bother with the 50D when the 40D had better IQ in some situations? Resolution is a bigger problem than noise. I'm crossing fingers than the 500/4 and 800/5.6 are up to the challenge.

EBH

because its people the whine for more MPs and if they dont get them to look elsewhere...but we know more isnt always better 50D,but give Canon a chance here just maybe they got something right or really improved an aspect or two....

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:26 PM
Rockies Photo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Here is a link on Robgalbraith.com. He had a Beta 7D & the new lenses, and posted up some sized for web images + actual images you can download that are full resolution. I've already downloaded a few, and they are 13MB JPEGS Quite the in depth detail of information & some pretty detailed pixs. Used the 16-35/2.8 II, 200/2 IS, 85/1.2 II, & others, for testing purposes.

RGB.com Review & Images from 7D

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:28 PM
David Estes
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

n0b0 wrote:
What lenses were used in those samples though? I saw the DPreview sample of a bridge taken with the 17-55IS, looks plenty crisp to me. Also bear in mind that these probably haven't gone through any post processing. A little high pass sharpening and USM and they'll look fine.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/

Thos pics look pretty sweet to me.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:28 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Rockies Photo wrote:
Here is a link on Robgalbraith.com. He had a Beta 7D & the new lenses, and posted up some sized for web images + actual images you can download that are full resolution. I've already downloaded a few, and they are 13MB JPEGS Quite the in depth detail of information & some pretty detailed pixs. Used the 16-35/2.8 II, 200/2 IS, 85/1.2 II, & others, for testing purposes.

RGB.com Review & Images from 7D

They are very good but I am not sure they would blow away the 40D or 50D

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:37 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Were we expecting the 7D to BLOW THEM AWAY
It seems to me, however, that the claims about photon efficiency, more photosensitive area per pixel and improved microlens performance are turning out to actually add up performancewise, rather than something they had to say even if it only totaled 1%.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:42 PM
KIDERAL
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Talia wrote:
Questions about the 7D:

1. How do you think the viewfinder will compare to that of the 5D2 (and other FF) in terms of SIZE?

2. Does the 7D have GPS encoding?

Thanks.

I think the 7D does have GPS encoding.
From what I have read, you can plug a GPS into it using the USB connector.

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:43 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Let's copy over the 7D availability list.

B&H
Adorama
Amazon
Circuit City + 15% Cashback through Bing
TigerDirect + 15% Cashback through Bing + 4% Cashback with Bank of America card
Henry's (Canada)
Vistek (Canada)
Digitalwonderworld (Europe)
Robert's Imaging Call 1-800-726-5544 to preorder. Point of contact: Jody Grober
The Camera Store

Edited on Sep 03, 2009 at 11:57 AM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:49 PM
Paul_R_Canada
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

I'm left with the impression this is a testing ground for the upcoming 1D4, they crammed in alot of technology, I thinks they are pulling a "microsoft" and sending it out for consumer elavualtion and inevitable debugging (at least for ealry adopters) so they can tweek and fuss the kinks out.

It's a very nice looking camera that will most definately suit the prosumer crowd who want more than point and shoot but don't want to invest too much or will primary use it for wildlife shooting and enjoy the 1.6 crop and carrying shorter lenses.

There no doubt this could be an excellent backup unit for the pro and offering 24p high def video is a bonus as it's seems still a toss (at least on the rumour curcuit) that the next round of 1D's will or won't have video given the tv contract restrictions at sports events.

Had this been an APS-H sensor I'd be extremely tempted to wait 6 months and buy one (I hate debugging!) but I think I'll pass, I have a variety of interests not the least of which is portrait & architecture and other wide angle photography, I'm having a had time imagining spending 2 grand on a 14mm only to turn it into a 23mm with a "C" sensor.

Noise is the other issue, looking at some of the beta pics I'm not so impressed with the noise at highter ISO, and not alot higher at that.

I think I'll wait - and hope

Sep 01, 2009 at 09:59 PM
Paul_R_Canada
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

http://www.adencamera.com/ has it listed for little over 2K Cdn.

Sep 01, 2009 at 10:01 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Canon Press Release:
http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20090901_eos7d.html

Some random website with good pics:
http://www.xitek.com/topic/eos/eos-7d.html

Canon 7D Special Site:
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/7dsp/index.html

Canon Movie Site:
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/eosmovie/index.html

Rob Galbraith:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239

Imaging Resource Review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DA.HTM

Sep 01, 2009 at 10:17 PM
racoll
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

When will it hit the shelves?

Sep 01, 2009 at 10:34 PM
haijak
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

racoll wrote:
When will it hit the shelves?

Press release said the body would be available by the end of September, with the lens kits by then end of October.

Sep 01, 2009 at 10:44 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

Bottom line is that the days of vast IQ improvements, from the sensor alone, with each successive generation are past us. Maybe some people will be able to see the difference but the majority of folks won't. Where the 7D is clearly superior (assuming they actually work) is in the little things like AF, metering, flash control, speed, viewfinder, etc.

It would be a huge mistake to not associate those improvements with the potential for vastly improved IQ. If you limit the discussion of IQ to pixels you ignore the fact that the sensor is but one component in a complex equation that ultimately determines what a picture looks like. For example, the new flash control offers options for making much better pictures in many situations even if Canon had done nothing with the sensor. Same goes for the AF system and the metering and so on.

Although I will withhold forming an opinion until I get a chance to test one, I must say that on paper it appears to be a very attractive package and I suspect that it will meet with good success from a wide variety of users, including pros.

Sep 01, 2009 at 10:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon EOS 7D Master thread

kewlcanon wrote:
The best in Canon APS-C per Gabor's analysis

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=32880471

per another thread here it looks like, normalized, 1/2 stop more DR than 40D/50D at ISO100 and very nearly the same as the 5D2 (but with less banding perhaps thus making the effective max DR better than on the 5D2 it seems). That said there is far more to image quality than the DR rating. SNR, for one, should be at least 2/3 stops better with the 5D2 and probably noticeably more.

I bet the SNR is at least 1/3 stop better than with the 50D.

Sep 01, 2009 at 11:01 PM
       3              221       222       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              221       222       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password