1       2       3       4      
       end

Post Your Set Up!

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Post Your Set Up!

e6filmuser wrote:
Is that addressed to anyone in particular? How many is the "so many" you are querying?

Harold

Might it be that you don't understand the term "setup"?

A camera with a lens attached would not be considered a "setup". Provision of light from one or more flash guns makes it one, the number and positioning of them being very relevant.

Harold

Jun 05, 2022 at 04:28 AM
Nikki Jim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Post Your Set Up!

Oh my gosh! There is some crazy stuff in here! I don't have a macro set up but this is certainly motivating!

Thanks for posting everyone!

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:12 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Post Your Set Up!

Nikki Jim wrote:
Oh my gosh! There is some crazy stuff in here! I don't have a macro set up but this is certainly motivating!

Thanks for posting everyone!

Although you can get correct exposure in daylight at not much more than 1:1, you may need high ISO or flash to freeze subject movement*. Newcomers thing a tripod is essential but Image Stability is very good and a tripod does nothing about subject movement, often due the the vegetation on which it is sitting being blow around.

Insects, on leaves, on flowers, etc., tend to move around and face in various directions. You have to use a combination of patience and your own repositioning to get the view you want and, in most situations, that requires the setup to be hand held.

As you go to higher magnifications the effective aperture rapidly gets smaller, as does DOF, and flash is the only way of getting enough light and a short exposure.

The majority of images you see here are from hand held.

* OK, I shoot a lot of fungi but even with slime moulds there are sometimes very delicate structures which move in air movement which you might not detect. (e.g. search "Arcyria").

Harold

Jun 12, 2022 at 01:23 AM
Justin0

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Post Your Set Up!

I've tried all sorts of lens setups, bellows, backwards lenses, ring lights, etc. I wanted to show my setup to show how effective the simplest setup can be.

Sony a6400, Laowa 65 f2.8 2x macro lens, Meike MK320 Mini Flash, and a little diffuser hood. Super lightweight - I can hold a branch with one hand, hold the camera in my other, and focus the lens with my pinky at the same time.

All photos are at f8, handheld, with flash.

Sep 11, 2022 at 06:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password