Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              10       11       end

Archive 2009 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

jprezant
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

sjms wrote:
well though this is not an answer to the issue i have done a minor work around. 3mm climbing cord (500lb test). in a loop around the strap material and the carabiner itself as a safety. i will run with this in mine for a few jobs i must do do. it is long enough to allow for a single 360 rotation for now. THIS IS NOT AN ANSWER THIS ISSUE. i'm going to give mine a beating in use.

http://i.pbase.com/o3/89/44489/1/112437728.pkIuE47I.IMG_0700.jpg

...only a climber I've used that cord to hold up things that are wayy too heavy

So if you're shooting a wedding, and you've got two of these handy dandy
double-double fishermans knotts, you can ascend stuff for a better view

May 15, 2009 at 12:34 AM
MrAdventure
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

A quick fix: we do this in cycling for those tiny screws that work loose over time; buy a tube of Loctite. It keeps parts from wiggling loose but won't permanently bond the parts. Awesome stuff. Get it at any bike shop.

May 15, 2009 at 09:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

jprezant wrote:
...only a climber I've used that cord to hold up things that are wayy too heavy

So if you're shooting a wedding, and you've got two of these handy dandy
double-double fishermans knotts, you can ascend stuff for a better view

i have prusiked my way up many a rope. does not do well on icy ones though.

May 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

MrAdventure wrote:
A quick fix: we do this in cycling for those tiny screws that work loose over time; buy a tube of Loctite. It keeps parts from wiggling loose but won't permanently bond the parts. Awesome stuff. Get it at any bike shop.

do the red and it will be for all intent permenant. just get it over with. blue is meant for re adjustment later. in this case you don't want that

May 15, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

i have prusiked my way up many a rope. does not do well on icy ones though.

Prussik? Yikes, that brings back memories. Hey, did you know that Petzl has some new Ascenders coming out any time now? May have to retire my Jumars...

Kiron Kid

May 15, 2009 at 07:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

actually the black diamond ones are real nice and smooth operating.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/nforce.php

and it is prusik someone added an s along the way

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik
http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Prusik.htm

May 15, 2009 at 07:38 PM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

sjms wrote:
actually the black diamond ones are real nice and smooth operating.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/nforce.php

I tried the BD version. Pretty good, but awkward on free hanging-unweighted ropes. I find the Jumars and Petzl's to be easier and more user friendly. Seem easier for hauling configurations too.

Thank
Kiron Kid

May 16, 2009 at 10:56 AM
chuckb42

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

I just ordered a strap and it shipped out Friday. I received the email notitication below from Black Rapid on Friday the 14th, May.

Chuck

ConnectR-2 swivel hook replacement
Dear Black Rapid customers using the new ConnectR-2 swivel hook,

It has recently come to our attention that there are a small number of the new ConnectR-2 (CR-2) swivel hooks out there that have a problem with detaching at the swivel. It involves the threaded pin that attaches the swivel to the hook. In a few rare cases, this pin has come unscrewed. We cannot possibly know which of the CR-2s in circulation have this problem. So, in the spirit of taking every right step, we are sending new CR-2s to every customer on our mailing list that has ordered them as an upgrade, or ordered an R-Strap having a CR-2. If you are receiving this email, then you will also be receiving a new CR-2 in the mail to replace your current CR-2 swivel hook. We highly recommend that you swap out your current CR-2 for the new one when it arrives.

When it arrives, it will be marked with tape so that you do not mistake it for the old CR-2, while installing it and reassembling your strap. If you would like some advice and instructions on the disassembly and reassembly of your R-Strap, we will be posting a new video on our website at www.blackrapid.com to assist you in this process.

You do not need to return your old CR-2 to Black Rapid. There is also no need to reply to this email, unless you have special requests or particular questions. If that is the case, then we are available for your comments and questions, as always.

Thank you,

Black Rapid

May 16, 2009 at 02:34 PM
m3rocket
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Anyone received their ConnectR-2 replacement yet?

May 16, 2009 at 03:54 PM
gearhead5
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Will the new CR-2 also fail

May 16, 2009 at 04:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Wait for CR-3?

EBH

May 16, 2009 at 04:45 PM
Richard in Ida

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Mine came apart today. Dropped the camera into dirt and gravel. My camera ans lens appear to by OK. Lens hood is a goner.
I've had the strap for less than 30 days. May just return it.

May 16, 2009 at 08:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

i take it you haven't been keeping up on this soap opera in the past week or so?

May 16, 2009 at 08:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Kiron Kid wrote:
i was in a friends shop today and played around in the stairwell with them (4 stories) i can't say i agree with you and i tried a number of configs and really had no problems with them. maybe its a difference in our methodologies. but then again thats why there are three brands.

May 16, 2009 at 08:39 PM
photoeye78
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

I got my replacement today. Looks to me like they've been taking everyone's advice and just soaked it in Loctite. To be clear: This is the exact same clip system that, now, no longer even swivels because they glued the hell out of it. Not exactly a fix for the product that is advertised if you ask me. I suspect they are going to get numerous complaints for this half assed fix and then release a new clip system in the coming months.

May 18, 2009 at 06:08 AM
Mario Moschel
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

In the coming months? I guess you mean in the coming YEARS, when I think back how long the let us down with the version 2 ...

Mario

May 18, 2009 at 06:19 AM
Kiron Kid
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

Why not take your current new FastenR, unscrew it, drop a drop of Loctite in there, and reassemble it? Yes, you shouldn't have to, but for the price of one drop of Loctite and piece of mind... That's exactly what I did, and it's bombproof and swivels as it should.

Kiron Kid

May 18, 2009 at 11:53 AM
photoeye78
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

I actually did loctite mine. However, I wanted to be sure that it wasn't going anywhere so I used more then necessary and glued down the whole thing. My CR2 does not swivel anymore which is fine, I don't need them too because I don't connect them to my camera using the tripod socket thingy. I just think it's interesting that BR had the same "fix"...I can't swivel the replacement hook they sent, it is completely glued down.

May 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

did you use blue or red loctite? if you used blue it can come undone. with red the head will most likely break off.

May 18, 2009 at 02:17 PM
photoeye78
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · BlackRapid Strap -- Warning!!!

I used Red 271. Why would the head break off?

May 18, 2009 at 02:23 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.