New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2009 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Yesterday I was taking photos using Live View engaged and noticed a few shots with an aperture of less than F5.6 vignetting on one side. So today I did some testing using various lens and various apertures, findings were somewhat interesting.

When taking a photo with a Canon EF lens ( 180mm Macro, 135 SF, 85 L and 50 1.0L) this glitch did not appear whether live view engaged or not. Photos were fine both ways.

But with an Alternate lens (Angenieux 180mm, Nikon 135 DC, and Leica 180mm) on and aperture set to less than 5.6 and live view engaged vignetting appeared badly on one side. But if I disengaged live view before taking the shot, the picture turned out fine. If aperture was F5.6 or higher no vignetting..

See samples below right shot is with Live View engaged. No post processing done on the shots except resizing.

Nikon
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/live_nik.jpg

Angeniex
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/live_ang.jpg

I had 3 different 5D MKII's I tried this on and they all produced the same results. Live View on the 5D's was set to stills only. Curious if others have tried shooting with Live view engaged and alternate lens attached or have tried video with an alternate and aperture less than F5.6.

Feb 01, 2009 at 09:31 PM
Wallybud
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I shoot live view all the time, never have seen this? wierd? are they RAW or jpg?

Feb 01, 2009 at 09:34 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Raw. I thought it might be an adapter issue but though not shown above th Leica also did the samething. I at least have the work around by turning off live view after focusing and then shoot. And I agree wierd since it only does it with Alts.

Feb 01, 2009 at 09:42 PM
Wallybud
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Call canon and see what they say, most likely nothing as your using an adapter? I really wish I could help as I love shooting with live view, it kicks ass haha

Feb 01, 2009 at 09:44 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

It looks like the mirror is blocking part of the light path to me.

Feb 01, 2009 at 09:59 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I've seen the same thing as well! Thought it was in my head.

Feb 01, 2009 at 10:07 PM
dpap1978
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

this is wierd. It can't be the mirror, since the mirror is up during liveview shooting. I had the reverse problem, where when I shot at infinity with the rokkor w/o liveview, the mirror would block the light path, but there was no problem otherwise.

Does this only happen at infinity? Try at shorter distances...

Feb 03, 2009 at 01:31 AM
olyacme
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Looks like a timing or reset issue between one of the shutter curtains and live view. No idea why it'd only affect certain lenses though!

Feb 03, 2009 at 01:56 AM
PSquared63
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Does this happen in the landscape orientation, too? Maybe the mirror is not fully locked up. Does this go away if you turn the camera upside down? I didn't see this on 1Ds3.

Feb 03, 2009 at 02:00 AM
olyacme
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

PSquared63 wrote:
Does this happen in the landscape orientation, too? Maybe the mirror is not fully locked up. Does this go away if you turn the camera upside down? I didn't see this on 1Ds3.

Hmm. I read "side" and thought landscape, but if indeed they're only resized then of course these are portraits and the shutter's out as a cause. I wonder if looking into the mirror box and rotating the camera with live view engaged and no lens attached would be at all interesting...

Feb 03, 2009 at 02:10 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I first noticed on Saturday in portrait mode but only on 1 camera. Distance was about 20 feet. The shots I took Sunday as seen above was deliberately done in portrait mode to see if it reoccurred and if it occurred on all bodies.

In landscape mode I didn't notice it on Saturday but it was possible it was there as I was shooting into snow so the bottom of a few shots had a slight blue tinge to it.

I'll will likely try a few shots again this weekend assuming weather cooperates using some other alternates to see if it happens to them too. And try different orientations.

Both Saturday and Sunday they were shot tripod mounted.

Another thought I had was the position of the sun but Saturday shots were in two different directions and Sunday an entirely different direction and then it clouded up shots above were after clouding up.

I basically view this now as a glitch and not a big issue for myself since my work around is focus with live view turn off live view for alts then shoot. Or shoot at aperture setting of F5.6 though F32. With Canon lenses just shoot away no issue.

I'll let you know what I find next tiime I shoot. Though I'll have 1 less 5d MKII to test with. I have sent one off to Lifepixel for conversion to full spectrum.

Feb 03, 2009 at 09:19 AM
Drew_Persson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I've seen this using Liveview with my 40D mounted vertically on a 4x5 view camera when shifted.

My solution: turn off LV before taking the shot, lol.

Feb 03, 2009 at 08:20 PM
Justin D
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I can't reproduce this, for what it's worth.

Feb 05, 2009 at 02:21 AM
ovredal73
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I have this same problem, and have gotten a few shots ruined due to it. Sometimes it is quite severe. I thought it was just me...

Feb 05, 2009 at 04:03 AM
Anden
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I did not see this with the 40D. I have been thinking about a 5DII just for the LV. This is a deal breaker for me.

A

Feb 05, 2009 at 04:14 AM
olyacme
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

ovredal73 wrote:
I have this same problem, and have gotten a few shots ruined due to it. Sometimes it is quite severe. I thought it was just me...

Always in portrait orientation, or in landscape as well? How about when the camera is inverted in landscape orientation - is the problem worse?

Feb 05, 2009 at 04:16 AM
makron
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

What's the camera setting? shutter speed?

I couldn't reproduce the problem even with the camera in upside down position

Feb 05, 2009 at 04:55 AM
wkhc168
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

I have noticed differences in using LiveView with flash. I have a 14EX ring flash connected to the Leica APO 100mm macro. When I use the viewfinder, the shots are ok but when I use live view, it is blurry, like motion blur. Anyone has the same experience? I will play with it some more to fiigure out what is going on.

Feb 05, 2009 at 10:19 PM
wkhc168
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Turns out with LiveView and Flash is used, the mirror comes back down (I believe it is for ETTL metering?) and then goes back up again before it takes the shot. I think I started to move the camera once I heard the first shutter movement hence I got motion blur. I have to remember that next time.

BTW, I didn't get any vignetting as OP did.

Feb 06, 2009 at 02:39 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D MKII and Live View

Went out today and was able to reproduce including shooting upside dwon. Used the Angeneiuex 180, Leica 180, Canon 180 Macro with same results. I also used the coastal Optics 60mm and Nikon 28mm lens Intersetingly enough the Nikon did not produce this. It occurs only on the opposite side of the mirror, not as noticable when camera in landscape positioning but there none the less. Anyways I see this as an inconvience glitch, I'll just turn off Live View after focusing for non Canon lens. Todays shots were near infinity focusing.

Upside down Leica 180 F2.8 1/5000
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/upside_down.jpg

Coastal Optics 60mm F4 1/2000
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/live_coastal.jpg

Nikon 28mm F2.0 1/4000
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/nikon_lv.jpg

Feb 08, 2009 at 11:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.