FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Archive 2008 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · It's out: Canon 5D II

My personal experience is that the 5D probably had better weather resistance than most believe as well. I used mine for a day on one of those english sunshine days where there was light rain all day. I was very careful with the camera but it performed flawlessly. That said, looking at the upgrade, I would not feel any more comfortable treating it differently in inclement weather.

Mike Ganz wrote:
I don't know about this. With all the gripes about the 5D's lack of "weathersealing", has any of the complainers actually ever gotten their 5D wet? I actually gave mine and the mounted 17-40L a full dunking (totally immersed) in Havasu Creek a few months back. The gasket at the lens mount did its job, as well as the CPL on the lens. Didn't have any water in the CF or battery compartments either. I'll admit, after reading all the complaints about the 5D's so-called inability to prevent the ingress of moisture, I thought for sure that the camera
...Show more

Sep 17, 2008 at 07:34 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · It's out: Canon 5D II

I thought I had read about an entirely new battery system for the updated 5D, a different battery holder and different focusing screens. No?

marcwilson wrote:
But you know what..we've all shot with the 5d and with all taken great pictures..some for fun, some for work.
The new 5d is the same size, same batteries, just a better sensor for better image quality, sensor cleaning and live view. Those three things were possibly the biggest things an improved 5d could need, and at a very good price over the similar image quality from a 1dsIII.
So now a pro shooter, like myself, who used the 5d over the 1 series as I had no need for weather sealing, fast this and that, etc can have basically the same
...Show more

Sep 17, 2008 at 07:35 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · It's out: Canon 5D II

If the updated 5D contains the same mirror box, does anyone know if they still use glue to attach the mirror?

Sep 17, 2008 at 07:37 AM
kleinssz69
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Don't know what's with all this "no MLU button". The 40D already has a dedicated MLU button. I use it all the time, works great. I can tell by the features that the 5DII has it too.

It's the "Set" button. No secret formula on how to program it. Just simply press "Set" and then the mirror is locked up. Bingo.

Now since the viewfinder get blacked out during MLU, Canon was kind enough to give us the option of still seeing through the lens. That was really nice of them. They call this Live view.

Sep 17, 2008 at 08:11 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Leon Noel wrote:
Assuming AF doesn't get a revamp, let's sum it up, key points include:

21.1MP
Dust reduction
Digic IV, 14 bit
AF micro adjust
3" 920k dot LCD /w Live View
ISO 100-6400 (50-25600)
98% VF, 0.71 magnification
3.9fps

Best of all, list price $2699 !

That's what we've been waiting for after 3 years. Evolutionary or Revolutionary upgrade pretty much depends on the quality of the sensor now, 5D's design and marketing philosophy still hasn't changed: average body with adequate features and an awesome FF sensor.

A good summary and I think they are nice features. You did leave out the HD video feature, though. I don't know why, but I really think I'd love to play with that feature.

Shooting video with a P&S camera is boring as shit, just like the photos from a P&S camera, but shooting video through a Rokkor 58/1.2, an UWA, a fish... I can only imagine!

As stupid and backwards as it sounds, I think I like this feature the best

Sep 17, 2008 at 08:33 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · It's out: Canon 5D II

kleinssz69 wrote:
Don't know what's with all this "no MLU button". The 40D already has a dedicated MLU button. I use it all the time, works great. I can tell by the features that the 5DII has it too.

It's the "Set" button. No secret formula on how to program it. Just simply press "Set" and then the mirror is locked up. Bingo.

Now since the viewfinder get blacked out during MLU, Canon was kind enough to give us the option of still seeing through the lens. That was really nice of them. They call this Live view.

A very good point.

Sep 17, 2008 at 08:34 AM
eonflux
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · It's out: Canon 5D II

theophilus wrote:
I can't tell if you can autofocus during movie recording?

Would have liked to have seen:
1) full weather-sealing
2) built-in GPS
3) 5 fps
4) level in viewfinder

But that is just nit-picking. Probably can't afford to upgrade from my current 5D though.

Also would have liked to have seen a 17 or 18mm L instead of redesigned 24.

Canon has already taken care of that with the Mark III series, minus the GPS though...That's been reserved for the Mark IV series in 2009.

Sep 17, 2008 at 08:35 AM
loudtiger
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · It's out: Canon 5D II

eosslr wrote:
same old AEB with +/- 2EV in 3 image bracket... are we ever gonna see any change here?

actually it has +/- 4EV now.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:03 AM
theophilus
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · It's out: Canon 5D II

I'm also really interested in the HD-movie mode.

There are just times when I'm shooting that I want to "document" something. Case in point - I was backpacking in Colorado in August and about 25 mountain goats descended into our campsite. I took a bunch of photos, but I don't really want photos of mountain goats. I would have much preferred to just shoot 2-3 minutes of video instead. Storage is cheap. I run into these situations quite often.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:04 AM
jonboring
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Better sensor, dust reduction, LCD and live view for $2600 ... just what I wanted ... plus plus the Zeiss ZE lenses for wide angle ... I am a happy camper ... but all this depends on the images ... we need to also see the images.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:05 AM
theophilus
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · It's out: Canon 5D II

eonflux wrote:
Canon has already taken care of that with the Mark III series, minus the GPS though...That's been reserved for the Mark IV series in 2009.

Which I guess proves the point that they purposely leave out some features. Especially a level in the viewfinder and weathersealing. 5+ fps probably required another digic chip so I can at least understand that one.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:06 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I thought I had read about an entirely new battery system for the updated 5D, a different battery holder and different focusing screens. No?

Yes, but the Battery's the same form factor, just 1800mAh with a new contact layout and apparently some 'Intelligent' circuitry, so the grip is just a variant of the old design.

Focusing screens are the same basic 3 models updated for the new 98%, .71x finder.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:30 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · It's out: Canon 5D II

So, if the contact points on the new batteries are in a different place and the screens have been updated, batteries and screens are not interchangeable with those of the 5D. That's what I was getting at.

mawz wrote:
Yes, but the Battery's the same form factor, just 1800mAh with a new contact layout and apparently some 'Intelligent' circuitry, so the grip is just a variant of the old design.

Focusing screens are the same basic 3 models updated for the new 98%, .71x finder.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:47 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Tariq Gibran wrote:
So, if the contact points on the new batteries are in a different place and the screens have been updated, batteries and screens are not interchangeable with those of the 5D. That's what I was getting at.

The folks at dpreview tried the 5D focusing screen in the MkII and it fit. Canon says there may be exposure issues though.

Sep 17, 2008 at 09:54 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Thanks! Great to know as I have an "S" type 5D screen and don't often use auto exposure anyway.

cogitech wrote:
The folks at dpreview tried the 5D focusing screen in the MkII and it fit. Canon says there may be exposure issues though.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:01 AM
shirozina
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · It's out: Canon 5D II

And I have a modded 1series screen which is very nice for manual focusing.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:10 AM
shiwan
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Hmm. This could be the first full-frame DSLR retail camera to dip below $2000. Since the list is $2699, that probably means you'll see it at around $2500 to even $2400 in-stores, depending on who you know. After the first six-to-nine months, I can see it dip to that magical $1999, brand new.

Oh, and with a used 5D hitting $1700-$1800, if not cheaper...

Competition is good!

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM
shirozina
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · It's out: Canon 5D II

I strongly suspect the price of used 5D's will drop through the floor.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM
Daniel Buck
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Leon Noel wrote:
And I'm sure we "alternative" folks will appreciate the big 3" hi-res LCD with Live View (especially landscape and macro).

I would love an LCD with live view for my long-lens sunset shots. THat would make it alot easier with less risk to my eyes looking at the sun through an 800mm lens! I just don't know if I can give up the 1Ds2 though, I love the camera so much

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM
marcwilson
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · It's out: Canon 5D II

Tariq Gibran wrote:

so looking at interchangeability of accessories between old and new if say you buy new model and keep old as your backup: (important I think not just in money terms but for having to double up these things in your kit bag)

batteries are not usable on both new and old models.
screens look like they may fit but a new grid screen is no great deal.
body looks the same so L plates should work on both.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:59 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.