Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
9
       10       end
  

Archive 2008 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?

  
 
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Yakim Peled wrote:
Both have AF. And I will be happy to see how the 21/2.8 fairs against the 16-35/2.8 II in a real world test. So, for the EF mount I see no reason to get excited.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


The old 21 f/2.8 trashes the 16-35 II, so I'd expect to see the same or better from the new 21. Very exciting to me all of the announcements. The build quality of these lenses alone is wonderful and worth the price of admission.



Sep 16, 2008 at 05:46 AM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Trashes? Did 16-9 published such a comparison? Did others?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Sep 16, 2008 at 06:00 AM
StevenPA
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Yakim Peled wrote:
Trashes? Did 16-9 published such a comparison? Did others?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


Slaughters? Obliterates? Embarrasses? Which adjective would you like to use?

In real world photography, there is no better 21mm lens. Period. The 16-35 II may have improved corners, but they still can't touch the Zeiss.



Sep 16, 2008 at 06:04 AM
philber
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


I don't feel happy with my Canon 85 f1.8, so I will be trying out a Zeiss 85 f1.4. It will be available in a month, more or less, for some 1350€. I will then report back to this board.


Sep 16, 2008 at 06:34 AM
fourfa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


StevenPA wrote:
Slaughters? Obliterates? Embarrasses? Which adjective would you like to use?

In real world photography, there is no better 21mm lens. Period.


...for SLRs. The rangefinder Biogon designs match the 21mm Distagon and are perhaps even better. Unfortunately there are no full-frame rangefinder sensors, so you can only see that in a film comparison with all the attendant problems.



Sep 16, 2008 at 08:30 AM
cogitech
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


StevenPA wrote:
Slaughters? Obliterates? Embarrasses? Which adjective would you like to use?

In real world photography, there is no better 21mm lens. Period. The 16-35 II may have improved corners, but they still can't touch the Zeiss.


+1

Anyone who doubts this has never used the lens. Anyone who has used the lens will tell you the same thing. The CZ21 is the most remarkable lens I have ever owned. By a long, long shot.



Sep 16, 2008 at 08:38 AM
Yohan Pamudji
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Yakim Peled wrote:
Trashes? Did 16-9 published such a comparison? Did others?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


16-9 did a comparison in a roundabout way. They did a Nikon 14-24 review, comparing it to (among others) the Zeiss 21 and the Canon 16-35II. The rankings were like this, and in no uncertain terms:

Zeiss 21 > Nikon 14-24 > Canon 16-35II.

So yeah, the Zeiss trashes the Canon. Wide angle just doesn't seem to be Canon's forte.



Sep 16, 2008 at 08:48 AM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


It's not that I don't believe you but as these lenses are extremely rare in Israel I have to rely on internet tests. Thus, comparative pictures would be nice. If you don't have them, it's O.K. but I just wondered if anybody has ever tested both side by side.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Sep 16, 2008 at 08:49 AM
DoubleNegative
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


fourfa wrote:
...for SLRs. The rangefinder Biogon designs match the 21mm Distagon and are perhaps even better. Unfortunately there are no full-frame rangefinder sensors, so you can only see that in a film comparison with all the attendant problems.


You mean the 2,8/21mm ZM Biogon? Definitely a sweet lens.

As for film, I don't know, I don't see any problems with it... I recently went back to shooting film.



Sep 16, 2008 at 08:50 AM
fourfa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


just that comparisons via film usually end up being comparisons of $600 consumer scanners, not $2000 lenses. it's certainly easier to test gear in the digital age.


Sep 16, 2008 at 09:00 AM
cogitech
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Yakim Peled wrote:
It's not that I don't believe you but as these lenses are extremely rare in Israel I have to rely on internet tests. Thus, comparative pictures would be nice. If you don't have them, it's O.K. but I just wondered if anybody has ever tested both side by side.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.


I can post some FF crops (including edge/corners) from the CZ21 later which will not need any 16-35 II crops to compare to. It'll be all too obvious.



Sep 16, 2008 at 09:02 AM
StevenPA
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


fourfa wrote:
...for SLRs.


Naturally. But look at the MTFs for both lenses. The Biogon is better, no question, but it's _very_ close, and the Biogon isn't limited to a retrofocus design, which makes the Distagon even more impressive.

[edit] I have no interest in M lenses, but I just had a look at the MTFs for their Elmarit 21/2.8. Speechless...

Edited on Sep 16, 2008 at 09:14 AM · View previous versions



Sep 16, 2008 at 09:04 AM
DoubleNegative
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


fourfa wrote:
just that comparisons via film usually end up being comparisons of $600 consumer scanners, not $2000 lenses. it's certainly easier to test gear in the digital age.


Ahh, I see what you mean. True. As long as you compare apples to apples, at least. It's when you start comparing apples to oranges that things take a serious turn south fast.



Sep 16, 2008 at 09:13 AM
fourfa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


DoubleNegative wrote:
You mean the 2,8/21mm ZM Biogon? Definitely a sweet lens.


That, the Contax G-series 21mm, the Leica and C/V 21mms, and heck the 43mm for the Mamiya 7. all from the same biogon design family as I understand it.



Sep 16, 2008 at 09:43 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


It's hard to get excited about Zeiss lenses unless you know it's history and/or have used their lenses in the past and know how they performed. It's almost like an acquired taste. The fact that you would compare a Sigma lens to a Zeiss lens is quite shocking .... but forgivable if you don't know what the Zeiss name stands for.

Yakim Peled wrote:
For 50mm, the new Sigma 50/1.4 looks sharp enough at f/1.4. For 85mm, the 85/1.2 II looks sharp enough at f/1.2. Both have AF. And I will be happy to see how the 21/2.8 fairs against the 16-35/2.8 II in a real world test. So, for the EF mount I see no reason to get excited.

What I like about the Leica lenses is that they are mounted on a M8 body…..

IMHO of course.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.




Sep 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM
brunobarolo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


StevenPA wrote:
Naturally. But look at the MTFs for both lenses. The Biogon is better, no question, but it's _very_ close, and the Biogon isn't limited to a retrofocus design, which makes the Distagon even more impressive.

[edit] I have no interest in M lenses, but I just had a look at the MTFs for their Elmarit 21/2.8. Speechless...



Are you talking about MTF charts for the new ZE 21? Where did you find them? I don't find them on the German Carl Zeiss site.



Sep 16, 2008 at 01:24 PM
DoubleNegative
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Take a peak at the MTF chart for the 2/85 Sonnar... Darn near flat across the top, the lines.


Sep 16, 2008 at 01:35 PM
Lotusm50
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


DoubleNegative wrote:
Take a peak at the MTF chart for the 2/85 Sonnar... Darn near flat across the top, the lines.



Unfortunately, 85mm f2.0 lens is a "ZM" lens for rangefinders in the Leica M mount and won't be available as a ZE, Canon mount lens.





Sep 16, 2008 at 02:02 PM
DoubleNegative
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


Lotusm50 wrote:
Unfortunately, 85mm f2.0 lens is a "ZM" lens for rangefinders in the Leica M mount and won't be available as a ZE, Canon mount lens.


Ooops, you're right... My head is in ZM-land more than anything these days. .



Sep 16, 2008 at 02:42 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Zeiss ZE lenses on September 15th?


I know about the Zeiss history but it is not a part of my buying decisions. And that Sigma has performed excellently in several respectable online testers.

Please take note that I do have 18 years of shooting experience with Canon L and primes so it's not that I don't know what is a quality lens.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

bobbytan wrote:
It's hard to get excited about Zeiss lenses unless you know it's history and/or have used their lenses in the past and know how they performed. It's almost like an acquired taste. The fact that you would compare a Sigma lens to a Zeiss lens is quite shocking .... but forgivable if you don't know what the Zeiss name stands for.





Sep 16, 2008 at 11:41 PM
1       2       3              8      
9
       10       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
9
       10       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password