New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Does anyone have any experience using a Bushhawk with a 500 f4 IS? Or Bushhawk use in general?

Haven't had the lens very long yet. So I'm still learning about it. "It" does fine on my Gitzo 1548 heavy duty tripod. But HH with it can wear you out quickly.

I plan to be doing some river event photography, possibly some aerial events, and short walk around wildlife photos with the rig where mobility is essential. Also I figure the Bushhawk would be a lot faster to use during treks to a sites where I would be using the tripod.

Is it reasonable to expect the Bushhawk to help with handling this big a lens?

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:08 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Search for a guy whos user name is "the hotel" He posts in the nature forum and uses the 500f4 with a bushhawk. I thunk he uses the strap on the lens rather then the strap on the bushhawk

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Lowbone,

Thanks for the lead. I'm PM'ing him now.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:50 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using a Bushhawk with a 500 f4 IS? Or Bushhawk use in general?

Haven't had the lens very long yet. So I'm still learning about it. "It" does fine on my Gitzo 1548 heavy duty tripod. But HH with it can wear you out quickly.

I plan to be doing some river event photography, possibly some aerial events, and short walk around wildlife photos with the rig where mobility is essential. Also I figure the Bushhawk would be a lot faster to use during treks to a sites where I would be using the tripod.
...Show more

I be the guy and I am answering your PM and posting this information here just in case any body else is interested.

Hi Rodney, Yes I use a BushHawk, in fact I have 2 of them and would not consider leaving my place with out one of them. I am a wildlife photographer and spend a lot of time out in the woods so tripods & monopods just do not work for me.

Here is a photo of my BushHawk with my Sigma 50 to 500 lens on it. I attached a rifle sling to it for getting around in the woods. The reason for using a rifle sling set is I wanted the swivels.

Better view of the swivel sling set up.

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/discussionboards/2008/02-17-08bushhawksetup/bushhawk004.jpg

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/discussionboards/2008/02-17-08bushhawksetup/bushhawk005.jpg

Here is a photo of both set ups. My canon set up is a 500 lens & a 1d Mark 3. A little different way of setting up the sling.

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/discussionboards/2008/02-17-08bushhawksetup/bushhawk003.jpg

A better look at my Canon set up. I attached the wide rifle sling directly to the lens mounts. I was a little concerned about the weight on the BushHawk. Also the Napa seat belt pads are a MUST.

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/discussionboards/2008/02-14-08bushhawk/bushhawk002.jpg

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/discussionboards/2008/02-14-08bushhawk/bushhawk001.jpg

Here is a couple of insert photos of me using the Canon set up.

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/photocatalog/freeranginmamals/elk/0301thru0320/elk309.jpg

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/photocatalog/freeranginmamals/elk/0301thru0320/elk0307.jpg

http://www.trainstuff.info/forwildlifephotogallery.net/photocatalog/freeranginmamals/elk/0301thru0320/elk308.jpg

Since these photos I have added another Napa seat belt pad for a total of 3 and I am a very happy camper. Like I said above I would not consider leaving the office with out my BushHawk IMHO it is the best camera accessory I have purchased. Once you get used to it getting lined up for the shot is about instant no waiting around to get things set up and you can turn and instantly be on target for a different animal or bird. I have more than doubled my BIF keepers because of the BushHawk.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask.

Wacky roger

Edited on May 15, 2009 at 09:54 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2008 at 01:03 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Roger,

Wow, Thanks very much for that detailed reply. You have quite a good rig set up there. And a picture is worth 1000's of words. I appreciate your taking the time to post back.

Yes this does help quite a bit. I see the point of your use of the rifle sling and I definitely agree about using the lens strap mounts instead of those on the BushHawk.

The way you hold it makes it significantly different from a rifle mount. Holding your hands with palms vertical. Do the vertical handles make it harder? That does not seem like a high strength position for one's arms, like cradling a rifle mount.? But it would certainly let you pull the mount tight into your shoulder.

I will PM with some more questions probably soon.

Thanks very much !!!

Jun 27, 2008 at 02:00 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O wrote:
Roger,

Wow, Thanks very much for that detailed reply. You have quite a good rig set up there. And a picture is worth 1000's of words. I appreciate your taking the time to post back.

Yes this does help quite a bit. I see the point of your use of the rifle sling and I definitely agree about using the lens strap mounts instead of those on the BushHawk.

The way you hold it makes it significantly different from a rifle mount. Holding your hands with palms vertical. Do the vertical handles make it harder? That does not seem like a high
...Show more

I have found the tighter you pull it into your shoulder the better everything works. It just takes a little practice and it becomes second nature. I have talked to our gunsmith about similar handles on a rifle. He said he may make one up.

Wacky roger

Jun 27, 2008 at 02:47 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Thanks for this info. Think I'm becoming a "convert". Does B&H stock these or only Adorama?

How much difference do you think the camo does for wildlife? I see you ahve the forest camo on the 500. I'd been thinking about a LensCoat camo more to protect the lens and keepo it cooler in summer. But that meant I would be getting their "winter tree" camo.

It looks like Adorama only stocks the black BushHawk. Do you think that will make any real difference over a sand or green shoulder mount?

So Roger and

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:38 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

trenchmonkey wrote:
Rodney, Roger should be gettin' kickbacks for all the people he's turned onto the BushHawk!
Not just for long lenses either, I use a stripped down one for concerts/sports/candids/close BIF.
Great with 200 f2/300 f2.8's ...the frisbee is an accessory, for fun in between sets.

Hey Monkey I'm glad you pointed out the frisbee...I thought it was your halo .

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O wrote:
Thanks for this info. Think I'm becoming a "convert". Does B&H stock these or only Adorama?

How much difference do you think the camo does for wildlife? I see you ahve the forest camo on the 500. I'd been thinking about a LensCoat camo more to protect the lens and keepo it cooler in summer. But that meant I would be getting their "winter tree" camo.

It looks like Adorama only stocks the black BushHawk. Do you think that will make any real difference over a sand or green shoulder mount?

So Roger and

When I have mine over my shoulder it is up against my body when I am moving so not much of a outline problem. I have both a black and a green and I have not noticed any real difference.

Wacky roger

Jun 28, 2008 at 09:08 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

You can order directly from Bushhawk. I don't have the address right now but you can find it on Google. I put a lenscoat ( realtree ) on my 300 f 2.8 and I got it mainly for protection. I think all wildlife are acutely aware by sight smell and general movement if someone is in their environment. I don't think you will fool anything by having a camo cover on your lens. Maybe in a blind but I doubt it even in that situation.

Jun 29, 2008 at 08:16 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Lowbone,

Interesting about the Camo and its effectiveness. I've been doing a bit of research on the Camo. What I seem to find so far is that only a small number of people actually seem to understand camo. And that good technique trumps camo most every time. And a lot of that good technique would "focus" understanding the "quarry".

Still for serious trekkers and trackers, there seems to be some pretty good camo stuff available. But only a small "school" that places any emphasis on the details of what animals, reptiles, and insects actually can see. And that seems to me to be a curious omission. After all, who do we want to camoflage ourselves from people or animals? Apparently a lot of camo is sold to "paint-ballers".

Still like you, I plan to get a camo cover for my 500. At the least, it will protect the lens from the occasional bump or scratch. And I hope reduce the heat absorption or at least make the lens feel less hot in my hands. Have been figuring on getting a "Winter Tree" camo set for reduced heat absorption and treating it with UV blocker. Also figured to treat my clothes the same way. Basically, I see no point in "shining like a beacon" in a portion of the spectrum that birds in particular can see pretty well.

But sometimes I wonder if going the opposite way might also work. That is wearing a sign or badge that says in animal language "This is a only photographer. Smile" would help get more superb photos. Almost evertime I set up my large tripod and bring out the 500mm lens at home in my front yard, one of the catbirds who "owns my yard" inevitably comes over and perches where I can see him. If I don't pay attention, he sings and sings until I do.

On BushHawk: Yes you can contact them directly. The person I talked with there was both knowledgable and helpful. Seems like a really good company.
BushHawk Support

Edited on Jun 29, 2008 at 09:52 AM

Jun 29, 2008 at 09:51 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O wrote:
Lowbone,

Interesting about the Camo and its effectiveness. I've been doing a bit of research on the Camo. What I seem to find so far is that only a small number of people actually seem to understand camo. And that good technique trumps camo most every time. And a lot of that good technique would "focus" understanding the "quarry".

Still for serious trekkers and trackers, there seems to be some pretty good camo stuff available. But only a small "school" that places any emphasis on the details of what animals, reptiles, and insects actually can see. And that seems to me
...Show more

Rodney, I have been getting paid for finding animals all my life, the fact is my daddy was a outfitter so I have something over 55 years of being out in the woods with wildlife. I don' know about other places but there are a few things you need to remember when you are stalking wildlife in the rocky mountains.

Spend the time necessary to understand your game.

Use a pair of binoculars & or a spotting scope. This is especially true if you are in new country.

Cameo can be a big help especially if you are trying to get close and there is little cover available.

The sun reflecting off anything is a NO-NO.

The wind can be your best friend or your biggest enemy. Always use it to help you.

Move as slow as you can and only move when the game is not looking or their ears are not moving around. Once you develop the slowest speed you can, cut that in half.

Here is something you can try to prove what I am saying is true. Sew some old gunny sacks together cut out the bottoms of them, cut a hole for your head and put it on like a long dress hanging all the way to your boot tops. Your camera and arms must be inside the gunny sack so no movement can be seen.

Once you get you photo another hint to get more than one keeper is to use wildlife calls to get your target to do things. This lets you get more results from your stalks.

Good luck with your adventures.

Wacky

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Roger,

Thanks again. That is definitely good advice. The "gunny sacks" sound like a more durable "gilly suit".

What you say reminds me that "critters" are very good at detecting changes in their environment. Thus I understand that the better one can "fit in" and not announce your presence loudly or visually or by detectable motion or by scent, the more likely one is to be successful. That they respond not so much to the barn being red as they do to the "barn" being different and certainly alert to anything that is changing (moving noticeably, glares in the sun light, etc).

I've definitely got a lot to learn on this, but some of it will most likely come back from my days doing some hunting and a bit of tracking. No where near your 55 years, though.

And most of that was in different types forest areas, than where I am now days. The immediate areas this summer for wildlife photo treks are going to be in areas with less dense cover, like tidal marsh areas and lightly forested park areas.

Then it's back to the eastern bird migration route areas this fall, like Hawk Mountain, PA. And this time I will have the "big lens" with me. So far I did ok for my first trip up there with the 500. Found a pair of Golden Eagles (1/2 to 1 mile away, though) and Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures which were much closer.

But for the summer, I will not have very much cover to work with moving around. I'd figured to compensate by investing the time to scout for likely specific locations carrying only a lighter camera rig. Then when I go back with the big lens I would be working on "blending in" & being patient. I figure the "critters" will be sure to let me when I get it wrong. So all the suggestions I get here will reduce the teaching time for them.

I appreciate the helpful suggestions.

Edited on Jun 29, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Just ordered the BushHawk 320D Pro Kit for Canon from Adorama.

btw its on sale there for $212.95 with free ground shipping vs 325 + S&H at the BushHawk site.

Got to give BushHawk credit for treating customer's well. The guy at BushHawk strongly suggested that I try Adorama for the possibility of a good sale price.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:55 AM
sperraglia
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Adorama is temporairly sold out of the Pro Canon kit, but you can still order at $212 with the free shipping.

Jun 30, 2008 at 05:55 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Well just got my BushHawk 320D Pro Kit for Canon Cameras today. Great delivery by Adorama on this. It looks like a good camera support. And it's light weight.

But much to my surprise it is not metal. Is it supposed to be non-metallic? Well now I found where it says they are made of ABS...

Is it really safe to put my 500mm, camera body, battery grip and maybe a TC on this frame? That's almost 12 pounds. Maybe I'm being too conservative with this? I did see Wacky Roger with a "Great White Shark" on his.

But at this point I'm a bit surprised. And I can't see using a strap connected to the bushhawk. I'd want to hold on to the lens better than that. Am I missing something here? Is this really just made for helping to stabilize much lighter weight camera and lens combinations? Or do I just not have enough faith in plastic?

When I called them before I bought it. Bushhawk said that people use their bushhawks with larger lenses, but I didn't think to ask about the material. And if I remember right they never did say what they made it out of nor what the weight capacity for it is nor did the guy say specifically it was made to hold a Canon 500mm ....

Well I've got a call out to BushHawk. They were closed before I got home today. Left name & number where they can find me tomorrow. So I'll see what they say.

Edited on Jul 02, 2008 at 08:15 PM

Jul 02, 2008 at 08:02 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O wrote:
Well just got my BushHawk 320D Pro Kit for Canon Cameras today. Great delivery by Adorama on this. It looks like a good camera support. And it's light weight.

But much to my surprise it is not metal. Is it supposed to be non-metallic? Well now I found where it says they are made of ABS...

Is it really safe to put my 500mm, camera body, battery grip and maybe a TC on this frame? That's almost 12 pounds. Maybe I'm being too conservative with this? I did see Wacky Roger with a "Great White Shark" on his.

But
...Show more

If you look at the photos of my Canon set up you will see how I attached it. I attached it to my 500 lens using stainless steel fairly large split rings. I bought a good quality wide heavy duty rifle sling and put NAPA seat belt covers on it. I was concerned about the weight so I came up with this system. I have NOT had any problems and have tested it pretty good. Probably the tuffest test is using it on horseback and once again no problems.

Wacky roger

Jul 02, 2008 at 08:53 PM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

I also was leery of trusting the weight of the 500L on the BH, but I've not had any mishaps in several months of using the setup---but I mostly use it in my truck (the truck makes a GREAT blind---critters seem a lot less wary around vehicles than people---leaving the rig often causes them to leave immediately--especially when I wear my halo )

Edited on Jul 02, 2008 at 08:55 PM

Jul 02, 2008 at 08:54 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Roger & JimL,

Thanks for that input. That's encouraging. I will definitely get the rifle sling. I'd planned to anyway, but think I'll now get it immediately. Local gun store for the sling, but where did you find the stainess steel rings?

So how do you carry the BushHawk with the big lenses when walking around? I'd expected to be able to carry the rig in front of me holding onto the BushHawk across my body (with the sling holding some or most of the weight). And then to be able to swing it up to take photos holding on to the bushhawk only. Still a reasonable thing to do? Or would you actually hold the lens as you get it and the bushhawk into postition to take a picture??

Tomorrow the RRS lens foot arrives. Then I have to decide how to safely try this thing out. I figure if I don't have the sling and split rings yet, I'll maybe try it using the lens strap around my neck for lens protection. That doesn't sound very good for moving around, but do you-all think it would do ok for the first test around the yard?

Jul 03, 2008 at 12:13 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Using Bushhawk with 500 f4 IS

Rodney O wrote:
Roger & JimL,

Thanks for that input. That's encouraging. I will definitely get the rifle sling. I'd planned to anyway, but think I'll now get it immediately. Local gun store for the sling, but where did you find the stainess steel rings?

So how do you carry the BushHawk with the big lenses when walking around? I'd expected to be able to carry the rig in front of me holding onto the BushHawk across my body (with the sling holding some or most of the weight). And then to be able to swing it up to take photos holding on to
...Show more

I picked them up at a hardware store (Split rings)

If you will look close at the illustration photos you will see I put the sling over my left shoulder and the set up hangs on my right hip area. I just grab it and lift and I am taking photos.

Wacky roger

Edited on Jul 03, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Jul 03, 2008 at 10:07 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.