Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Archive 2008 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen

  
 
Conner999
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


4x4 - screens like the IV and the S series are designed such that the apparent transition (as you focus) between an object being in focus vs. out is much more on/off or 'binary' then with a normal focus screen.
To the user's eye the range within which the subject is in focus vs. not comes across as much, much narrower - hence the term 'focus snap...' etc. Great addition to your camera if, like me, you use MF almost exclusively with alternate lenses.

As for metering, the IV (a tweaked version of its predecessor) is the standard out-of-box screen for the Mk3, but all of the Canon cameras in question have the ability to select which screen is used so that the meter can compensate.
Screens like the center prism (great for sports) or split prism (that 'obscure' the center part of the pentaprism) as well as the darker-than-stock S series on the 5D tend to have a bigger impact on metering.
I've left things stock on my 1Ds2 with the IV and all works fine. However, if for some reason you find you need to fine tune it further, you can always test and dial-in an EV tweak.

The S series screen for the 5D is darker than stock, but works very well if your 5D's shims are calibrated accordingly. On the other hand, the S screen for the 1 series, IMHO, sucks. While darker than stock (as expected) that focus 'snap' just didn't jump out at you. At least not enough, for me, to justify the darker screen. I actually sold mine as a result. For whatever reason, the new IV works better for the same $$ and is brighter as well.

Edited on May 01, 2008 at 06:16 AM



May 01, 2008 at 06:11 AM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


so what should we expect going from the stock screen to the new IV ?

Mine should be here by saturday



May 01, 2008 at 09:36 PM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Received and installed it

Much brighter than the original one I had in there.

Anyways. It seems to work on both CFn's ("1" and "0") , so don't know where to leave it set to.

Now.. for some reason my pics look a tad darker than with the original screen. White balance is good but exposure seems a bit off.

Why is that ?



May 02, 2008 at 03:22 PM
4x4rock
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


equetefue wrote:
Received and installed it

Much brighter than the original one I had in there.

Anyways. It seems to work on both CFn's ("1" and "0") , so don't know where to leave it set to.

Now.. for some reason my pics look a tad darker than with the original screen. White balance is good but exposure seems a bit off.

Why is that ?


Thanks for the report

Probably it's too brighter than the stock one and the meter just compensates for it. Try with 1/3 or 2/3 +EV see if it helps.

Interestng that some reported no differences in metering.

What camera did you install it it?


Edited on May 02, 2008 at 03:40 PM



May 02, 2008 at 03:38 PM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Body is a MarkII

I shot the same image at 1/3 +EV with both screens and the CIV is a quite a bit darker no matter what I set the CFn to.

The viewfinder is a LOT brighter though

I will try 2/3+ EV tomorrow but worried of blowing highlights.

Edited on May 03, 2008 at 01:53 AM



May 03, 2008 at 01:52 AM
Conner999
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


It will just be a matter of calibration to get an EV that works, My 1Ds2 seems to compensate fine for it (no blown highlights), but there might be firmware metering differences between it and the 1DII.


May 03, 2008 at 05:56 AM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Well I contacted canon and they said that the is only made for the Mark III series.

I have the screen setup on C fn 0 and seems to work right,

I have set 2/3 + EV

Looking at the menu for the Mark III there is a separate setting for the newer screen

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/eos1dm3/images/items/cfs/CFnIV-11.gif



May 03, 2008 at 03:34 PM
Conner999
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Comments like that by Canon only adds to the confusion and make people reluctant to experiment.

What they should say is that it was redesigned with the advent of the Mark 3s and thus those bodies will have a custom function menu selection specific to that screen. However, It will, as we see, work in ANY 1 series, you just need to do manually what the software in the Mark IIIs will do automatically upon menu selection. That is the only difference.

As someone who only shoots Leica and Zeiss glass (hence manual focus only) on my 1Ds2, believe me, $33 to Canon, the utterly harmless 10 seconds it takes to change screens and a little EV comp dialed in manually vs. (in the case of this screen) a simple menu selection is a boatload better, cheaper and (in most cases) FAR less frustrating than going with focus screens from other non-Canon suppliers.

Edited on May 03, 2008 at 05:37 PM



May 03, 2008 at 05:34 PM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


I have it set at 2/3+ EV and is working perfect. Hopefully this thread will benefit some people


May 03, 2008 at 07:50 PM
garyvot
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Conner999 wrote:
Comments like that by Canon only adds to the confusion and make people reluctant to experiment.


Yes perhaps, but this is the response you'd expect from a customer service rep from such a large company. Chances are the person did not know why the screen was exclusive to the Mark III and looked up this information in a product chart. I suspect a response from a CPS representative or direct from Chuck Westfall would have been more informative.

Canon cannot recommend or even suggest that people experiement with this screen in other 1-series bodies because of the inevitable complaints that the metering system is "broken" or because there would be requests to provide firmware updates (or there may be other reasons).

But as you say, if you know what you are doing you can compensate for it. If you use EC a lot, then it becomes a bit of work to remember to add in the screen offset. May work for some, but not for everyone.

Edited on May 03, 2008 at 08:36 PM



May 03, 2008 at 08:32 PM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


ok..... I got a new response.

Dear E. Daleccio:

We appreciate your continued correspondence regarding your EOS-1D Mark II.

Let me begin by apologizing for the confusion regarding your inquiry. We do our best to answer all customer inquiries as accurately and efficiently as possible. I am sorry that incorrect information was sent in response to your message. We regret any inconvenience or difficulty that resulted from our miscommunication.

On the EOS-1D Mark II, your camera will be set by default to the proper setting for the EC-C IV focusing screen. The camera's Custom Function 00 has two settings. By default the camera is set to [1]. Setting [0] would be used for Ec-N and Ec-R focusing screens.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS-1D Mark II.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Renee
Technical Support Representative



May 04, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Conner999
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Much better response. I agree Gary - standard 'reading off the PDF on screen' from someone with little camera experience. Basically - generic help center info.


May 04, 2008 at 04:09 PM
Gary Udstrand
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Thanks for the info! Like you I took a chance and ordered the screen. I got it a few days ago and just now installed it. It is good to know that I do not need to add exposure to make it work correctly but it is odd that other posters have suggested a +2/3 ev to get correct exposures.

Like others have said, this screen is a lot brighter and the focus really snaps. Very nice. :-)
g

equetefue wrote:
ok..... I got a new response.

Dear E. Daleccio:

We appreciate your continued correspondence regarding your EOS-1D Mark II.

Let me begin by apologizing for the confusion regarding your inquiry. We do our best to answer all customer inquiries as accurately and efficiently as possible. I am sorry that incorrect information was sent in response to your message. We regret any inconvenience or difficulty that resulted from our miscommunication.

On the EOS-1D Mark II, your camera will be set by default to the proper setting for the EC-C IV focusing screen. The camera's Custom Function 00 has two settings. By default
...Show more



May 07, 2008 at 03:45 PM
4x4rock
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Gary Udstrand wrote:
Thanks for the info! Like you I took a chance and ordered the screen. I got it a few days ago and just now installed it. It is good to know that I do not need to add exposure to make it work correctly but it is odd that other posters have suggested a +2/3 ev to get correct exposures.

Like others have said, this screen is a lot brighter and the focus really snaps. Very nice. :-)
g




Did you change the CF to 1 and reset EV to 0 and it meters the same as with +2/3?

Thanks

Edited on May 07, 2008 at 11:14 PM



May 07, 2008 at 11:14 PM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


working good now cfn 1 "o" ev


May 08, 2008 at 02:54 AM
Daigen-za
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


equetefue wrote:
Hopefully this thread will benefit some people


Wouldn't have ordered the Ec-CIV focusing screen for my 1D Mk II if it wasn't for this thread which I happened to find via a Google search. Had initially written off the Ec-CIV because most of the info I'd come across indicated it was only for the 1D Mk III.

Thanks to all





May 12, 2008 at 05:05 PM
equetefue
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ec-CIV Focusing screen


Glad this post help.

It works perfect on my 1D2

set the Cfn to "1"



May 12, 2008 at 05:11 PM
1      
2
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password