Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2008 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

gerov wrote:
or perhaps it could have fixed the focusing issues

Dare I even comment on this?? Nahhhhhh.

Apr 15, 2008 at 04:45 PM
EOS up North
• •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson wrote:
Moral of the story is not to point your camera at the sun with a long lens attached.

That's why they are called the big guns. Same firearm analogy applies: Don't aim your gun at something you're not prepared to shoot!

Great to hear everything worked out!

Edited on Apr 15, 2008 at 04:59 PM

Apr 15, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Clovermead
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

glad it all worked out ok hnilsson

I've destroyed two cameras with lenses on them in the past three years. First one's body was never found after I tried to use a snowy rock overlooking a waterfall as a makeshift tripod. It tumbled off the rock and over the falls. Done. And then last summer while hiking I didn't secure my bag well enough and both camera and lens tumbled out and bounced off several rocks during the plummet down the trail. So don't feel bad dude.

Apr 15, 2008 at 09:11 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Wow, that is absolutely terrible.

Apr 15, 2008 at 09:19 PM
RGS65
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Wow, what a story and what a deal. I think you'll be staying with Canon for a while, eh?

Thanks for posting this story, I would have never thought this possible.

And some of you guys on this board are friggin smart.

hnilsson wrote:
UPDATE:

Well, the patient could unfortunately not be saved. After heroic attempts, the plug was pulled. BUT in the end, Canon took very good care of me. I now have a new 40D at the repair charge. Thank you Canon for great service - it made the pain and ego bruising pass a little more easily. And thanks to all of you FM members who offered comments - even the funny ones.

Moral of the story is not to point your camera at the sun with a long lens attached.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:03 PM
RGS65
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

No doubt its going straight to the Canon museum

hnilsson wrote:
Brilliant idea! Just like the old, old, old days. Unfortunately, the body remained with Canon. They did, however, send me back the extra battery with the new body. I thought that was a nice added touch.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Clovermead wrote:
glad it all worked out ok hnilsson

I've destroyed two cameras with lenses on them in the past three years. First one's body was never found after I tried to use a snowy rock overlooking a waterfall as a makeshift tripod. It tumbled off the rock and over the falls. Done. And then last summer while hiking I didn't secure my bag well enough and both camera and lens tumbled out and bounced off several rocks during the plummet down the trail. So don't feel bad dude.

I'm tempted to start a new thread - "Tell me how you destroyed your camera"

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:52 PM
ModBoyzz
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson wrote:

I'm also glad Canon took care of you. Thanks for sharing your story!

About starting that new thread... I say go for it!

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Great story and bravo to Canon for handing you a new camera straight up. They're probably enjoying it back at the office and gawking over it in the labs.

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Paul Munk

p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

I've had telescopes pointed at the sun and the eyepiece will get quite hot after a while. (no you DON'T look thru it, you focus it on a piece of paper) a 700mm telescope is measured quite differently from a lens though, a lens is not the size of the tube opening. btw, this was in northern AZ, so quite a bit lower in Latitude than Canada.

Apr 16, 2008 at 01:55 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

It sounds like Canon did a very nice deed. This reminds me of the sports shooter that had a long lens mounted on a 1 Series body, tripped and completely crushed the body. It was on one of the forums about two years ago. The pictures were unbelievable.

Apr 16, 2008 at 02:36 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson, glad to hear things worked out okay......................

Apr 16, 2008 at 06:36 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

R.H. Johnson wrote:
hnilsson, glad to hear things worked out okay......................

Thanks. All things considered, I'm a lucky lad.

Apr 17, 2008 at 01:13 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

tcphoto wrote:
It sounds like Canon did a very nice deed. This reminds me of the sports shooter that had a long lens mounted on a 1 Series body, tripped and completely crushed the body. It was on one of the forums about two years ago. The pictures were unbelievable.

I was so surprised that I didn't even think of taking a shot of the burned mirror box. In hindsight, I wish I did. And yes, Canon did a very nice deed.

Apr 17, 2008 at 01:14 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson wrote:

I think there was a thread like this sometime ago.
The best post in it was by a guy who killed his camera (a 20D, I think) 5 times, and would show a picture taken at each killing site, just before... there was "salt water", "mud", and others I can't remember. I think the camera was miraculously healed each time, except for the last one... Too bad a search did not let me find this.

Apr 17, 2008 at 03:29 AM
marcus riley
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

I heard that a Nikon guy with a D3 made the exact same mistake.... EXCEPT the D3 melted the sun instead!!!

That sucks and is really crazy. Glad to see it was resolved and you are shooting again.

Edited on Apr 17, 2008 at 04:33 AM

Apr 17, 2008 at 04:28 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Xavier Rival wrote:
I think there was a thread like this sometime ago.
The best post in it was by a guy who killed his camera (a 20D, I think) 5 times, and would show a picture taken at each killing site, just before... there was "salt water", "mud", and others I can't remember. I think the camera was miraculously healed each time, except for the last one... Too bad a search did not let me find this.

lol yeah... that was me...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/449744

Oh, since then, I've had a Canon A620 take a tumble off a ledge in Mexico some 12-15 feet onto the rocky area below. Camera was banged up, lens ring thing warped, case cracked open, wouldn't take pictures, but it would turn on I think. Sent it in for repairs and it came back fine.

Took a Fuji F31fd on a rafting trip in Israel, protecting it in a ziplock back. Yeah, so the bag didn't work so much. Wound up getting soaked through the bag. Shot with my cell phone camera instead for the remainder of the trip. Came home and sent it back to Fuji for repairs and it worked after that, though the JPEGs do have some strange purplish cast to them now for some reason...

Jan 24, 2009 at 04:07 AM
abam
• • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

thanks for sharing, OP.

now we know not to do that. owner's manual addendum: "always put glorious lens cap back on lens before walking with glee away from camera & rabbits."

Jan 24, 2009 at 04:39 AM
jvarszegi
• • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

I went into the thread to look at your update, which I thought would be in the original post. It's buried in the thread and I don't have the time to read the whole thread to find it. Glad that everything seems to have worked out somehow.

Jan 24, 2009 at 07:54 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

This happened in around three seconds:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7554/img5821pw6.jpg

Jan 24, 2009 at 09:29 AM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.