Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2008 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

The Image wrote:
Ouch, and to think i was pointing my rig at the sun not to long ago....okay i had a 13 stop ND filter on

Note to self - get 13 stop ND filter.

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:54 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

ericjohn wrote:
Hey, I feel for you - nothing like 'if only I...' and it's all over in an instant. For the record, I took my 20D and 70-200 2.8 IS for a 'surprise' swim last summer. 'Not economical to repair' is what Canon told me. If only...

Thanks Eric, you made me feel marginally better. In the grand scheme of things, I know it's only 'gear' and not the end of the world....and, in hindsight, the look on my face when I saw the smoke must have been hilarious.

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:56 PM
Jimbo Jones
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

This post makes me want to start burning ants with my telephoto

but man thats some bad luck hopefully canon can fix it for you

Feb 27, 2008 at 04:00 PM
David Collomb
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

At least you are gonna be famous...
People will refer to you as the guy who burnt a 40D with a telelens with an unbelievable bad luck. I hope you will laugh about it later.
But right now I feel really sorry for you. Good luck for future of this story

PS: I really liked the story of the guy throwing rocks and finally its M5!!!

Feb 27, 2008 at 04:47 PM
shssaelp

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Jimbo Jones wrote:
This post makes me want to start burning ants with my telephoto

but man thats some bad luck hopefully canon can fix it for you

WOW...That's an expensive magnifying glass you want to use to burn ants. Man.. That's just crazy

Feb 27, 2008 at 04:59 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

David Estes wrote:
Not sure how much a 500 concentrates sunlight but I can see it happening very quick in just the right setup. Sorry to hear it happened and hopefully, the camera can be saved.

An interesting question so I ran some numbers.

A 500/4.0 lens collects about 10 Watt of solar radiation. Not much but it is focused onto a spot about 5mm in dia (that is the Sun image). If it focuses on a dark surface and the only radiative cooling is available (that is we neglect cooling by air or thermal conductivity) the temperature can increase by about 1400C or 2500F. Enough to burn an ant . Or a dust bunny!

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 05:10 PM

Feb 27, 2008 at 05:09 PM
bbudman
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

David Collomb wrote:
People will refer to you as the guy who burnt a 40D with a telelens.

I think I read somewhere in the owners manual about not pointing your camera at the sun. I can only assume that Canon HAS seen it before or that would not have been written in there. On a side note, it sounds like you are taking it pretty well all things considered although there is not much you could do about it now other than let Canon try to fix it.

Anyway, I am sorry for you and thanks for being big enough to share it with the forum. Yep, your gonna be famous!

Feb 27, 2008 at 05:30 PM
Andrew Sloane
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

That is so unlucky! When (if) you get it back, it will probably stink like burnt computer parts

Edited by Andrew Sloane on Feb 28, 2008 at 09:07 AM GMT

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 06:07 PM

Feb 27, 2008 at 06:07 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Sorry to hear about the catastrophe. Given that the 500 mm has 3 degrees of arc field of view, you can tile the sky with about 2000 circles, so your chances were about 1 in 2000.

All the same, I commend you for sharing your experience with us, as a cautionary tale, at the very least, but also a burden shared is a burden lessened, hopefully. Good luck with the camera or the next one. Let us know how the tale plays out.

Feb 27, 2008 at 06:07 PM
Kanon Kid
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

haha! this story made me laugh out loud...literally! This is hilarious. I probably would have fainted when i saw somke come billowing out, but im a softy. Wow, this is the funniest thing ive heard in a while. I do feel bad for you though. LEts just hope they dont pull the plug on your 40d, okay! Good Luck with everything!

Feb 27, 2008 at 06:16 PM
HinduG
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

I shall light a candle for you.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Feb 27, 2008 at 06:39 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

David Collomb wrote:
People will refer to you as the guy who burnt a 40D with a telelens with an unbelievable bad luck. I hope you will laugh about it later.
But right now I feel really sorry for you. Good luck for future of this story

PS: I really liked the story of the guy throwing rocks and finally its M5!!!

Thanks David. I thought about holding a wake - but it'd really just be an excuse to consume some "beverages" (like an excuse is needed).

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:10 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

How old is it did you buy it with American Express. It should be covered? I buy all items with a warranty with AMX because your manufactures warranty is automatically doubled up to 5 years. ie... a one year becomes a 2 year and a 2 year becomes a 4 year up to a total of 5 years. look into it the may pay for the repair or replacement......
Andy

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:10 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

bbudman wrote:

I think I read somewhere in the owners manual about not pointing your camera at the sun. I can only assume that Canon HAS seen it before or that would not have been written in there. On a side note, it sounds like you are taking it pretty well all things considered although there is not much you could do about it now other than let Canon try to fix it.

Anyway, I am sorry for you and thanks for being big enough to share it with the forum. Yep, your gonna be famous!

Gulp, this is not the way I have envisioned my rise to fame....

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:13 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

ifxbonz wrote:
How old is it did you buy it with American Express. It should be covered? I buy all items with a warranty with AMX because your manufactures warranty is automatically doubled up to 5 years. ie... a one year becomes a 2 year and a 2 year becomes a 4 year up to a total of 5 years. look into it the may pay for the repair or replacement......
Andy

Damn Mastercard!!!

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:13 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

That's one of those stories you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Amazingly bad luck to have the lens at the precise angle to do this. I guess if there's good news at least you didn't tell that you knocked the whole setup off the side of a cliff and lose the big gun as well.

Hope you're back on track soon.

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:17 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

dcains wrote:
True, but to think the lens had the sun in focus, and at just the right angle, too. It's really hard to believe, and/or incredibly bad luck. If the sun happens to show its rays today, I almost want to grab a lens, and a separate mirror (not in a camera body), to see if I can toast the mirror. I'd be very surprised if the mirror gets warm.

A silvered mirror reflects about 99.99% of light, the mirror in the camera is only partially reflecting. And we don't know what the response of the camera mirror is to IR wavelengths, the relevant part of the spectrum. It would only need to abosrb even a few % in the IR to cause heating.

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:23 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson, don't feel bad or alone. i was shooting one of my local hawks from the kitchen window a few years back. the phone rang and i answered leaving my 600l looking skyward. i saw a wisp of smoke coming from my 20D. i ended up melting the front or lower potion of the plastic mirror housing in my 20D. i was lucky. i did not burn out the camera as you did. but i do have a well defined melt spot on the mirror housing. my 2cents...............

lesson learned when ever i stop shooting for any reason i point the lens downward. you could be walking away from the sun with your rig over your shoulder pointed skyward at the unfortunate angle/direction and this could happen. and i does not take long to start smoking.

Edited by R.H. Johnson on Feb 27, 2008 at 05:08 PM GMT

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 08:08 PM

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:37 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Well, I guess the auto focus worked! Seriously, sorry that happened to you. Bad luck. Did you have insurance? Will your credit card cover you new 40D?

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:50 PM
Quercus
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

cogitech wrote:
Despite what we feel on earth in winter, the strength of the Sun does not change.

That's not true. The sun is stronger when it is higher in the sky because it has less atmosphere to go through. The sun is weaker in the winter months because it is much lower in the sky. Imagine how much hotter the sun is on your skin at noon compared to evening even when the air temperature is the same.

Feb 27, 2008 at 07:53 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password