Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Archive 2008 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

TMGraphics
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

@ ObservedTrials

@hnilsson - sorry to hear of your troubles, but like Sam tran said,
I defined "stupidity" as someone who made the same mistake more than once

Hope all works out well in the long run!

Thomas

Feb 27, 2008 at 09:34 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

hnilsson wrote:
Mid afternoon....who would have thought the sun would be strong enough north of the 49th in February

Despite what we feel on earth in winter, the strength of the Sun does not change.

Feb 27, 2008 at 09:39 AM
astrolucida
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Alex Nail wrote:
the chances o you getting the angle perfect so that that could actually happen must be 50:1

Actually, I have had a hard time when I have purposefully tried to find the Sun with my camera and a long lens. Naturally I have had a density 5 filter (1:100 000) in front of the lens before trying to do that. The problem is that the Sun is the only thing that is visible in the viewfinder with that configuration. It takes a lot of iteration and sighting alongside the lens tube to find the Sun.

So I'd say OP had really bad luck. How about your insurance?

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 09:42 AM

Feb 27, 2008 at 09:42 AM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Haha. Perfect experiment for all our Nikon buddies. :-)

Feb 27, 2008 at 09:43 AM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Sam tran wrote:
Thanks for sharing so others can avoid the painful lesson. I am admired your openness on this.
BTW, I defined "stupidity" as someone who made the same mistake more than once, so - your "sin" is forgiven my friend
Sam

Edited by Sam tran on Feb 27, 2008 at 01:15 AM GMT

Thanks Sam.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:41 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

trumpet_guy wrote:
Well, it could have been worse. He could have been looking through the
viewfinder while accidentally pointing it at the sun. The retina would not
take kindly to this.

It always pays to think carefully when using a long tele. Makes me nervous
just thinking about it.

Is your 500 f/4 OK? I know you toasted the camera, but did the lens
electronics or elements sustain any damage?

Yeah, fortunately the lens is fine. I've tested it extensively this past weekend. Now if that had been damaged, well......

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:46 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

ObservedTrials wrote:
You should take a picture of it.

Oh, wait...

That's funny.....now.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM
Raymond44
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Thanks for sharing this experience....a lot of us will file this episode in our memory banks as one "not-to-do"...

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:53 PM
pranic
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Good thing this was a 40D. If it had been a 1DmkIII, people would be complaining about it smoking and overheating on warm sunny days and looking for a permanent fix from Canon.

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM
JoeSesto
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

I guess there's at least one advantage to being an old shooter. We grew up with RF cameras and the only thing between Old Sol and the film was a rubberized focal plane shutter. Point it at the sun and POOF in exactly the wrong conditions. The most nervous types were the Nikon RF guys with their f/1.0 normals.

That insurance question is interesting...it would likely not be covered under a standard home/condo/renter policy as it was not a fire. The standard policies only have about 16 specifically named perils insured against and often a deductible of $500 per loss.

If it were scheduled on an All Risk floater...I believe it would be covered as the floater provides worldwide coverage for all physical damages with very few exceptions. Cost of the no deductible coverage would be about $12-17 per $1000 of value insured when added to a home/condo/renter policy in most states in the US.

Check with your own insurance professional.

Feb 27, 2008 at 01:15 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

dcains wrote:
What Why didn't the sun reflect off the mirror, through the VF? I'm not getting this - sorry.

The mirror is not 100% reflective. In fact it is something like 60:40 or thereabout as some of the light goes behind the mirror into the AF sensors. So I guess these got scortched, which blackened the mirror and made it not so reflective at all and then you know what happened...

Feb 27, 2008 at 01:39 PM
ericjohn
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Hey, I feel for you - nothing like 'if only I...' and it's all over in an instant. For the record, I took my 20D and 70-200 2.8 IS for a 'surprise' swim last summer. 'Not economical to repair' is what Canon told me. If only...

Feb 27, 2008 at 01:55 PM
Gerry Szarek
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

This happens to Leica rangefinder shooters all the time, the moral of the story don't every point any lens at the sun, when out with a lens mounted to the camera keep it pointed at the ground. When at the beach keep it with a lens cap, then in a dust proof bag, do NOT let the sun enter thru the eyepiece.

BTW if it makes you feel any better I have heard of worse. Guy up at a lake throw rocks into the water, throws Leica M5 in to the water. Another guy fishing backs up on boat in a bay to get a better angle, falls in with Leica R8 and expensive zoom lens into Bay. ETC...

Feb 27, 2008 at 02:01 PM
The Image
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Ouch, and to think i was pointing my rig at the sun not to long ago....okay i had a 13 stop ND filter on

Edited on Feb 27, 2008 at 02:53 PM

Feb 27, 2008 at 02:52 PM
Andy Witkowski
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

panos.v wrote:
The mirror is not 100% reflective. In fact it is something like 60:40 or thereabout as some of the light goes behind the mirror into the AF sensors. So I guess these got scortched, which blackened the mirror and made it not so reflective at all and then you know what happened...

Aren't the AF sensors are behind the focusing screen?

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:07 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Andy Witkowski wrote:
Aren't the AF sensors are behind the focusing screen?

No, the AF is on a totally separate optical path from the viewfinder. The main mirror is partially transmissive, behind it is a second mirror that points towards the bottom of the camera. The AF sensor is there at the bottom. Most modern SLR's use a phase detect autofocus which can not operate behind a diffuser (i.e. the focus screen).

The metering sensor is up past the focusing screen near the eyepiece, that might be what you're thinking of.

Ken

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:16 PM
Leon Noel
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

All that horror flick happened within 10-15s? The sun where you live is crazy...

Did you take pictures of the damage? 1 pic = 1000 words

Sorry to hear your loss, hope Canon can sort something out for you.

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:16 PM
David Estes
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Not sure how much a 500 concentrates sunlight but I can see it happening very quick in just the right setup. Sorry to hear it happened and hopefully, the camera can be saved.

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:33 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

Leon Noel wrote:
All that horror flick happened within 10-15s? The sun where you live is crazy...

Did you take pictures of the damage? 1 pic = 1000 words

Sorry to hear your loss, hope Canon can sort something out for you.

Unfortunately I didn't take a shot of the damage. I could have used my cell phone I suppose. I debated for a week whether or not to even bother sending it to Canon....but in the end I did. Once I know the total estimate for repair, I'll post it. My wife suggested I go buy a lottery ticket given the odds of this happening the way it did....

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:52 PM
Nathan Hobbs
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · So I destroyed my first camera (40D) the other day...(FINAL UPDATE)

I want pictures!

Feb 27, 2008 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password