Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              994              996              1013       1014       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.995 #1 · p.995 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Speaking of AFW, Chandler and I were exhausted and hungry, but we saw one more shot before we left the field ................

That image punched me in the gut.

I've (unfortunately but willingly) been pretty much out of photography for a few years: other things in life have been going really well and I've had to prioritize and make some choices. So I have sometimes checked in here to read a few pages, but haven't had anything to post and haven't read much either.

I'm glad I was here to see this one, though. I took a similar shot at Oshkosh 2006. I think it was my first Oshkosh, my first airshow, my first digital camera (Nikon D70 with the 18-70 kit lens). I was dead tired and dragging back to my car, across the warbird fields because I was parked out in the boonies, ready to drive the 60+ miles to the nearest hotel I'd been able to find, when I saw a Mustang tied down and looking longingly at the late-afternoon sun... clean and prettied up like it was dressed for a date and couldn't wait to go dancing. And I had to stop for it.

Nowhere near the same image quality, nowhere near the same skill... but almost 18 years later, thought of it instantly. Thank God for Lightroom.

Airplanes Dream Too

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:20 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #2 · p.995 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Rodolfo,

Those images that call to you when you can no longer put one foot in front of the other are always keepers, and that one definitely is. Well done!

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:58 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #3 · p.995 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Super images Jim!!!!
Dan

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:13 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #4 · p.995 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
That image punched me in the gut.

I've (unfortunately but willingly) been pretty much out of photography for a few years: other things in life have been going really well and I've had to prioritize and make some choices. So I have sometimes checked in here to read a few pages, but haven't had anything to post and haven't read much either.

I'm glad I was here to see this one, though. I took a similar shot at Oshkosh 2006. I think it was my first Oshkosh, my first airshow, my first digital camera (Nikon D70 with the 18-70 kit lens).
...Show more
When we get "older" the mind makes promises that the body can't fill Rodolfo! It is called the "Old Folks Boogie"! and boogie we will!
BEAUTIFUL!!!
Dan

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:16 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #5 · p.995 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Morning Rodolfo,

Those images that call to you when you can no longer put one foot in front of the other are always keepers, and that one definitely is. Well done!

Called the "old Folks Boogie" Jim!!!!!! Mind makes promises that the body can't fill!

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:44 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #6 · p.995 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm familiar with the syndrome Dan My problem is, I force my body to keep the promises and then endure the consequences. Mike Brewington keeps telling me "not to let the old man in", and I'm tryin'.................

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:40 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #7 · p.995 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I'm familiar with the syndrome Dan My problem is, I force my body to keep the promises and then endure the consequences. Mike Brewington keeps telling me "not to let the old man in", and I'm tryin'.................

Amen brother..as soon as I awake the fight goes on! Mind over matter...brain matter..
But at my age, sometimes it just don't work!

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #8 · p.995 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just got a hint that my RF200-800 might be shipping soon. I have to say, Canon is setting an all time record for over promising and under delivering. I have it on good authority that their marketing people are on the verge of mutiny, corporate is saying nothing and their shipping schedule is on a par with that. I've been on that end of the business and there are few things worse than standing in front of your clients kicking the dirt around with your hands in your pockets as you are bombarded with questions. Pretty soon the questions stop and the clients show up with competitive product in their hands. They know that they are safe with me because I have so much invested in the system but that's a risky sales strategy.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:44 AM
Ray Swindle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.995 #9 · p.995 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Just got a hint that my RF200-800 might be shipping soon. I have to say, Canon is setting an all time record for over promising and under delivering. I have it on good authority that their marketing people are on the verge of mutiny, corporate is saying nothing and their shipping schedule is on a par with that. I've been on that end of the business and there are few things worse than standing in front of your clients kicking the dirt around with your hands in your pockets as you are bombarded with questions. Pretty soon the questions stop
...Show more

My brother was a 40+ year aircraft mechanic for Delta. (Don't poo-poo me about Delta and lost luggage!) He told me that is the reason most major airlines maintain Boeing and Airbus aircraft. If one goes down you have the infrastructure established to move on with the competitor. Think about how a major 737 grounding would impact Southwest Airlines. Guess they are happy McDonald Douglas and Lockheed got out of the commercial airline business, deciding which two is much easier than when there are 3 or 4 systems to choose from.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:09 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.995 #10 · p.995 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Danpbphoto wrote:
When we get "older" the mind makes promises that the body can't fill Rodolfo! It is called the "Old Folks Boogie"! and boogie we will!
BEAUTIFUL!!!
Dan

Thank you, Dan! I'm glad to report that, at only 52, I'm not there yet. I was a couch potato for almost 30 years, and decided I was sick of being slow, creaky, and 80 pounds overweight a couple of years ago. Still overweight, but I'm now cycling, just ran my first half-marathon (scheduled to run the full New York Marathon this November), and started lifting. I fully expect my 50's to be better, far better, than my 40's.

I don't expect to keep up with Jim's pace at his age (actually, at any age), but I know I haven't hit my limits yet. And now, I'm gonna go find them.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.995 #11 · p.995 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ray Swindle wrote:
...most major airlines maintain Boeing and Airbus aircraft. If one goes down you have the infrastructure established to move on with the competitor.

True. Sadly, when you have so few viable suppliers, you may still be tied down because, if one goes down, the other may have such a long backlog of orders that you may still be effectively stuck with the one. It discourages innovation and quality from both suppliers, because they're both very safe.

Healthy capitalism requires multiple healthy competitors.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:16 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.995 #12 · p.995 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Darn, I know I have a mustang similar to those in my files and just can't find it at the moment. So I'll toss in something just a little bit bigger

Rob

Never mind, found it...

Apr 17, 2024 at 02:46 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #13 · p.995 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a gentleman who has his drone moves down pat...........

Apr 17, 2024 at 03:57 PM
Zane Adams
• • •
p.995 #14 · p.995 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

2011 Cavanaugh Mustang....and sunset. Oh yeah>

Apr 17, 2024 at 04:24 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.995 #15 · p.995 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Here's a gentleman who has his drone moves down pat...........

That engine and engine room looked as clean as the galley!

Apr 17, 2024 at 05:10 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.995 #16 · p.995 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry for not having stopped by as much as I should have recently. With the hell hole the world is in right now, I wasn't in the mood of debating politics.

Anyway, I signed up for a 3-day air-to-air photo shoot during the Sun N Fun airshow in Lakeland, Florida. It was my first time to shoot air to air. Obviously it's a totally different experience from shooting on the ground. My first day was Thursday, really bad weather, 30-40 mph wind, with storm coming. We took off when the window presented anyway, the plane I was in was tossed around like a leave. I was sitting 2' from the open back door and I have acrophobia! The only expected join-up on Thursday was the KC-135 tanker, it didn't show up. We landed after bouncing around in the air for 40 minutes. I am sure the organizer knew what it was safe to take off.

Friday was really good, we had a flight shortly after sunrise and a flight before sunset, lots of join-ups, including a pair of F-18 Super Hornet. We had one flight Saturday morning, then got grounded by the FAA for certain paperwork issue (I heard). When we talked to the folks on the ground, one guy said "the FAA people have small dxck anyway".

After I got done with the airshow I did a bit birding before driving 13 hours back to Maryland. Lots of files to work on. Here are some of the F-18 shots. Lots of rookie mistakes, obviously. I will work on other files whenever I have time.

Cheers,

Douglas

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    391mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    640 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    342mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    1250 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    200mm    f/7.1    1/1250s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    209mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    198mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    1600 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    300mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens    189mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Apr 17, 2024 at 08:47 PM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.995 #17 · p.995 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fabulous work Douglas!

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:17 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #18 · p.995 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome back Douglas, outstanding images! Please don't stay away because of politics, it's going to be what it's going to be and nothing anyone would say here would change a single mind. We all know where we stand, let's go back to the dark ages where nobody knew how much money anyone made, or their politics. You are too big a part of us to lose over that crap.

Now, so happy that you got to shoot air to air, and ultimately had a successful time of it. I don't want to burst your balloon, but your first flight took off for one reason only.........$$$.........I'd hate to tell you the number of missions that I have scrubbed because of conditions like that, and worse. You need to be confident enough in your judgement to pull the plug for you, let the other numbskulls go get sick, or dead, there will always be another mission.

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:35 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.995 #19 · p.995 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

BTW, this is just how old I really am, shot (with Chandler) at AFW 2003!

Apr 17, 2024 at 09:37 PM
DanNehmer
• • •
p.995 #20 · p.995 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, Rodolfo, Rob, and Zane,

Seems we have similar vision! This is my effort from 2010, first time I was playing with a nice, wide lens.

Douglas,

Love your work, A2A photos are awesome. But sounds like the experience had a little of everything. Glad it's done and your safe.

Take care all,
Dan

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:16 PM
1       2       3              994              996              1013       1014       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.