Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              846      
847
       848              877       878       end
  

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

  
 
steveverrall
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #1 · p.847 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


I didn't know you have a Youtube channel Jim! There is some stunning air to air footage/vision in some really beautiful light. Wonderful stuff.

Inspired, I've just published a short video from footage I shot at an air show a few weeks ago, all done at 240 fps on the Sony A1. It has a music track so if you watch it, you may want to turn down the volume.

It is my first real attempt at shooting video at an air show and I hope some of you find it interesting.

Cheers,
Steve.

https://youtu.be/t_gX4PXVWOg



Mar 26, 2023 at 08:58 AM
DanNehmer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #2 · p.847 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Steve,

Interesting video, the 240 fps gives everything a "slow motion" feel. Kinda neat!

Dan



Mar 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM
Neddie Seagoon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #3 · p.847 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


steveverrall wrote:
While I was at PIMA Air & Space in Tucson I asked the docents about the reason for the different orientation of the engines between the Privateer (inlets top and bottom) and the Liberator (inlets left and right). Believe it or not, I noticed that when I was an aviation-obsessed, detail-oriented kid and had always wondered why. Sad but true.

They were brilliant and helpful, with wonderful background on everything I asked, but on this topic they did not know why. I wonder if it is related to different turbo/supercharger installations? It may remain a mystery, but someone, somewhere must know....


Yes, definitely different, the PBY4-2 doesnít have a turbocharger at all. They eliminated it for weight savings on account of the primary mission being low altitude. The side scoops on the B-24 arenít intakes as such, they are oil coolers. Again, at low altitudes donít need as much airflow to keep the oil cool and no turbocharger means less heat input to the oil, so the 2 side coolers were reduced to 1 placed on the bottom.

So I have a question for the group about image stabilization. When shooting jets at high shutter speeds IS on or off? And at what shutter speed would you turn it off?

This was shot at 1/500 with IS (ok itís Nikon, so VR) on.
F-18

So there used to be a way to display photos directly from a site like my SmugMug, is that no longer possible?



Mar 26, 2023 at 02:41 PM
msalvetti
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #4 · p.847 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Hi Neddie. Welcome back to our thread, it has been a while. Nice selection of photos from Nellis.

I'm not as experienced as the rest of these guys, but I always leave it on. I think it helps with high-speed pans even at high shutter speeds.

You definitely can post from Smugmug; I just did that. When you click on the Smugmug Share button, select the Embed option. Select jpg, and select a size.

Mark



Mar 26, 2023 at 03:54 PM
Neddie Seagoon
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #5 · p.847 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Thanks

Ah, that embed option is not available in the app, I see you have to use the website to get it. Thanks.



Mar 26, 2023 at 05:08 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #6 · p.847 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


steveverrall wrote:
I didn't know you have a Youtube channel Jim! There is some stunning air to air footage/vision in some really beautiful light. Wonderful stuff.

Inspired, I've just published a short video from footage I shot at an air show a few weeks ago, all done at 240 fps on the Sony A1. It has a music track so if you watch it, you may want to turn down the volume.

It is my first real attempt at shooting video at an air show and I hope some of you find it interesting.

Cheers,
Steve.

https://youtu.be/t_gX4PXVWOg


Thanks Steve, very kind of you. Love your video, hope you do more of it!



Mar 26, 2023 at 08:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #7 · p.847 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


I just got home from The Defenders Freedom Air Show at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport. The show was outstanding, saw a lot of friends, made a bunch of new one's and got to know the folks at Barksdale. The highlight of the weekend was meeting up with Douglas and a friend. We had a great time and even got to have dinner together last night, what a treat!

I can hardly wait to see what he captured!



Mar 26, 2023 at 08:14 PM
fotoactvst
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #8 · p.847 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Davis-Monthan Airshow, 2023.

Was hoping for clouds but no, instead we got a blue sky and warm sun. In other words, a beautiful day. Typical.

There were a lot of photographers with impressive gear, hope some will post here. I made do with decidedly unimpressive APS-C stuff.




Edited on Apr 11, 2023 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions



Mar 27, 2023 at 03:53 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #9 · p.847 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Good Morning Everyone!

Both days at Barksdale I was on the field way before sunrise. Yesterday there was a little disturbance sliding across to the east and south of us and it gave us beautiful skies. The powers that be were incredibly gracious, I had the run of the base. Friday I was introduced to two officers who were in charge of the air show, we talked briefly and as we parted I jokingly quipped, "how much time in the brig will I get for sprinting out to the centerline for a shot........?" They looked at me and laughed, then said, "seriously, you go where you need to go to get epic images, we'll deal with any fall out.........Get 'The Shots'!" A good friend was standing next to me, he laughed and said, "Wow! That's a dangerous thing to tell this guy, his call sign at Alliance is '2 Board' becasue he sprinted out and hid behind the two thousand foot marker to get a pair of F/35's touching down for the first time." The officer looked at me, shook my hand and said, "Get your shots!"







Mar 27, 2023 at 07:57 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #10 · p.847 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


"The last B52 pilot has not been born yet..........."







Mar 27, 2023 at 08:37 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Zane Adams
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #11 · p.847 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


I went to Barksdale on Saturday, last minute decision.... the first big airshow for me since October 2019.

Man, what a crowd! They shut down entry before noon, ran out of parking.
I Left Arlington @ 5:30 am, Arrived at the base to a 45-minute line in the car to the parking spot, then an hour wait in a ten-lane wide line to go through their security process.
I think the Barksdale team did a great job for the crowd!











Mar 27, 2023 at 10:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #12 · p.847 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


..............







Mar 27, 2023 at 10:59 AM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #13 · p.847 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


The "Bayou Militia"..................







Mar 27, 2023 at 11:25 AM
DanNehmer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #14 · p.847 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Zane,

Love the photo's! Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity I was wondering how much effort your "impulse" decision to got to Barksdale AFB was in terms of driving. I inquired with Google and it appears that they ether can't find or can't calculate any known route from Arlington, TX to Barksdale AFB. However if you search Barksdale Global Power Museum it would appear to be 3 hrs, 11 minutes and 212 miles to get there! Weird, it seems we can tell you how to get to an airpower museum on an actual AFB but not tell you how to get to the AFB it's self. I certainly am not enough of a left brain kinda person to understand that logic

All,

On the home computer update front........ New pc arrived today; now I begin the process of removing all the Bloatwear I don't want and installing all the necessary programs. Then on to back ups and extending the data storage. I am/have out grown a 1Tb hd so I am discerning options. If I have read and learned correctly what I would likely want is a RAID 1 like device with 2 HD's in mirrored configuration. And then an additional USB HD of sufficient size to maintain an offsite back up and some additional redundancy if I accidently delete files that I hadn't wanted to or something like that. It would also seem that mirrored drives are nice but you have to continuously monitor drive health to know if one drive goes toes up, fails, etc; and my favorite learning is that if you get a virus, malware, etc the mirrored drive nicely duplicates that too!!! Thus the need for a 3rd backup.

Any recommendations on 2 bay arrays for 4 to 8 TB HD for the onsite expanded storage? Seems for the offsite a sufficient size USB HD from Western Digital or equivalent is just fine. Been doing lots of learning, moving into this last aspect of the upgrades and it looks to be the most confusing part of the project for this mechanical engineer (non-IT). Too much info on the web about this topic and it's either way deep, high level for companies or very simple surface info for basic users. Anyone have opinions or helpful insight please reach out; all input welcome.

Dan



Mar 27, 2023 at 01:05 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #15 · p.847 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Morning Everyone!

Both days at Barksdale I was on the field way before sunrise. Yesterday there was a little disturbance sliding across to the east and south of us and it gave us beautiful skies. The powers that be were incredibly gracious, I had the run of the base. Friday I was introduced to two officers who were in charge of the air show, we talked briefly and as we parted I jokingly quipped, "how much time in the brig will I get for sprinting out to the centerline for a shot........?" They looked at me and laughed, then said,
...Show more
Death at dawn or dusk Jim!!
Beautiful!!!
RD



Mar 27, 2023 at 02:14 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #16 · p.847 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Zane Adams wrote:
I went to Barksdale on Saturday, last minute decision.... the first big airshow for me since October 2019.

Man, what a crowd! They shut down entry before noon, ran out of parking.
I Left Arlington @ 5:30 am, Arrived at the base to a 45-minute line in the car to the parking spot, then an hour wait in a ten-lane wide line to go through their security process.
I think the Barksdale team did a great job for the crowd!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52771857672_966bcfb5ef_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52773310306_fd454c8b34_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52772894108_0cdab6d5c2_b.jpg


Beautiful captures Zane!!!!!
Glad the wait profited you!
Dan




Mar 27, 2023 at 02:16 PM
msalvetti
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #17 · p.847 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


DanNehmer wrote:
I am/have out grown a 1Tb hd so I am discerning options. If I have read and learned correctly what I would likely want is a RAID 1 like device with 2 HD's in mirrored configuration. And then an additional USB HD of sufficient size to maintain an offsite back up and some additional redundancy if I accidently delete files that I hadn't wanted to or something like that. It would also seem that mirrored drives are nice but you have to continuously monitor drive health to know if one drive goes toes up, fails, etc; and my favorite learning
...Show more

Dan, if you are going for a single offsite drive, then I don't see why you need 2 mirrored HDs onsite.

I also have one offsite drive, but just one onsite external drive and a 1TB drive in the laptop. Start out with the two external drives identical, and take the offsite drive away.

Then use the 1TB on your laptop as your drive for new photos. That gets automatically backed up to the onsite external. When the 1TB is nearing full, bring the offsite drive back. Mirror the onsite external drive to the offsite external, then delete photos off the internal laptop drive to make room. Take the offsite drive away again. This way you will always have all your photos on at least two drives. The only thing this doesn't guard against is a catastrophe at home, where you lose both the laptop and the external drive simultaneously. You would lose your newest photos as well.

Note that with my setup, I don't have the drives set to mirror. I only automatically add new files from the laptop to the external. If I delete, that is not mirrored.

Mark



Mar 27, 2023 at 04:12 PM
JWilsonphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #18 · p.847 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


F15 Strike Eagle out of New Orleans.................







Mar 27, 2023 at 08:56 PM
Danpbphoto
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.847 #19 · p.847 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


Wife in hospital but I was allowed to stand on roof at Georgetown Hospital. BUT I had no camera.
Dan

Hope Douglas was there!







Mar 28, 2023 at 11:13 AM
Zane Adams
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.847 #20 · p.847 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel


DanNehmer wrote:
Zane,

Love the photo's! Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity I was wondering how much effort your "impulse" decision to got to Barksdale AFB was in terms of driving. I inquired with Google and it appears that they ether can't find or can't calculate any known route from Arlington, TX to Barksdale AFB. However if you search Barksdale Global Power Museum it would appear to be 3 hrs, 11 minutes and 212 miles to get there! Weird, it seems we can tell you how to get to an airpower museum on an actual AFB but not tell you how to
...Show more

Dan,

I decided on Friday night after work, the management approved the plan, I gathered my camera gear, went to bed @ 9pm.
Was jolted out of bed by the alarm clock @ 0500. Packed a small cooler with water and a couple of apples. Left the house @ 5:30 the next morning and ate breakfast on the road.

When one has been doing airshows for as long as some of us it's an easy thing to jump and run.

I arrived back home at about 2030 ...whew... a long day.

And I have no clue about google maps and their machinations... I've been to Barksdale enough to know the way by memory


I goofed this pass terribly.... but it came out interesting enough. (my Canon 6D doesn't have a fast enough frame rate to capture the crossing maneuvers with any certainty anyway.)









Mar 28, 2023 at 11:48 AM
1       2       3              846      
847
       848              877       878       end






FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              846      
847
       848              877       878       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.