Upload & Sell: On
p.844 #1 · p.844 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dutch Bro's Corporate Jet-

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:55 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.844 #2 · p.844 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dan, Bill, very unique/interesting looks of those images, love them!

Mar 22, 2023 at 05:49 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.844 #3 · p.844 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Dan,

I have not regretted moving to mirrorless for a second, it's wonderful, except for the things Ray eluded to and you get used to those. That being said, given your lens arsenal and that everything is working and you are happy with it, I'd stick with DSLR until you really "need" to make the jump.

My reasons for jumping into mirrorless were, increased sharpness, wight (top two), buffer speed and video capabilities. The shutter blackout, albeit fractions of a second, is something that occasionally frustrates and takes getting used to, I'm sure Canon will fix that by firmware or a series two model, certainly the R1 will not have it. I'm thinking, with the gear that you currently have, buffer speed would be the only carrot that might get you to jump, so think about how that would improve what you are shooting and weigh it against the investment of time and money. You think that you are happy with your EF lenses, and they are great, but once you start shooting an RF lens, it becomes a slippery slope because they are so darn good. My advice would be to stay, happily, right where you are.

Mar 22, 2023 at 06:10 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.844 #4 · p.844 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DanNehmer wrote:
Quick question for the Brain Trust,

Well, asking for an opinion really. Canon has 5D MkIV's on a killer price for refurbished, $1499. That is less than the used market. I have a very solid selection of EF len's with L series zooms covering 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, and 100-400 plus a nice useable selection of primes. For bodies I have Jim's old 1Dx MKII and an old 6D that are both functional.

Do I double down on the EF glass and get the 5D to keep shooting for the next 5-7 yrs, do nothing and take my chances, or is it
...Show more

Dan, as someone who started to move to full frame mirrorless cameras 7 or 8 years ago, I will say this, if I am buying a new or used camera today, I would take a serious look at the mirrorless cameras. Sure the DSLRs still take great pictures, no question about that. But the eventually mirrorless will dominate and the DSLR bodies and lenses will depreciate even faster than the mirrorless versions.

I had 6 or 7 Canon DSLRs, maybe the same number of Nikon DSLRs. I started to migrate to Sony mirrorless about 7 or 8 years ago and have owned maybe 9 or 10 different models, both full frame and APS-C. They have come a long way. For me the mirrorless bodies have the following pros and cons:

Pros: lighter, less complex, vast AF area coverage, what you see is what you get image preview, no need to to perform lens AF microadjustment (not that I did much of that in the DSLR days), much faster frame rate (in general), can shoot at complete silence using electronic shutter.

Cons: The two drawbacks I can think of are: (1) the electronic view finder (EVF), unlike the OVF in DSLRs, most of the mirrorless EVFs have a tiny bit of delay in showing you what you are looking at, but the new models have improved a lot, and (2) if electronic shutter is used instead f mechanical shutter, under certain circumstances you may see the "jello effect" in fast moving subjects. If the cameras use stacked sensors like the Sony A1, A9, A9II, Nikon Z9, and Canon R3, not only there is no delay in the EVF, there is no blackout either, it's like shooting video, it's a revelation. There is basically no "jello effect" in fast moving subjects shooting with electronic shutter in cameras with stacked sensors because the senor scanning speed is so fast. But those with stacked sensors aren't cheap.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Canon R7, relatively "cheap" too. If I were shooting fast moving subject at high frame rate and were new to mirrorless, that would be the camera I would get first, in Canon land.

Good luck!

Mar 22, 2023 at 06:24 AM
JDE1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.844 #5 · p.844 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

An old vet probably remembering his days on the stick.

© 2018 Jerry Ennis

Mar 22, 2023 at 07:18 AM
JDE1
• •
p.844 #6 · p.844 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Took a ride in Tondelayo a few years back. To be honest, I was happy to see the runway come back into view.

Mar 22, 2023 at 07:38 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.844 #7 · p.844 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JDE1 wrote:
Took a ride in Tondelayo a few years back. To be honest, I was happy to see the runway come back into view.

Imaging painting a sexy woman like this on today's planes in our current PC cultural.

Mar 22, 2023 at 08:08 AM
JDE1
• •
p.844 #8 · p.844 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Douglas L wrote:
Imaging painting a sexy woman like this on today's planes in our current PC cultural.

Hardly. But a lot of nose art during WWII was R-rated. That was then; this is now.

Mar 22, 2023 at 08:29 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.844 #9 · p.844 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JDE1 wrote:
Hardly. But a lot of nose art during WWII was R-rated. That was then; this is now.

I got 1 fine "art form" from a Vietnam era Huey.....Cant find it...
Stay tuned!
Dan

Edited on Mar 22, 2023 at 12:35 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:45 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.844 #10 · p.844 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I had a stencial made that said Viet Nam National Guard, and painted it on the nose landing gear doors of a C-124 Globemaster. I always thought a little bit of humor helped. To say the Air force and our parent wing were really upset, would be an under estimate. This was the day after the Gulf Of Tonkin event. We were flying 23 hour augumented crew days. That ende d when a C-130 pilot flew asleep while parking at Clark field hit a fire bottle. Someone then thought we might not fly around the clock.
Harry Palmer

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ray Swindle
• • •
p.844 #11 · p.844 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
I had a stencial made that said Viet Nam National Guard, and painted it on the nose landing gear doors of a C-124 Globemaster. I always thought a little bit of humor helped. To say the Air force and our parent wing were really upset, would be an under estimate. This was the day after the Gulf Of Tonkin event. We were flying 23 hour augumented crew days. That ende d when a C-130 pilot flew asleep while parking at Clark field hit a fire bottle. Someone then thought we might not fly around the clock.
Harry Palmer

"Old Shakey"! Flew on a couple when I was in the TxANG. USAF treated the ANG as a step child. Reagan came into office and wanted the ANG to be complimentary units to the USAF similar to the USAF Reserves. When I transferred to the TxANG (1972), I thought we were the jet age equivalent to the CAF.

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:21 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.844 #12 · p.844 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Harry Palmer

You would have been welcomed in Nam(1967-1970)! WE had some wild "drivers" on Hueys that had Jimi Hendrix at 100+db and a few that had slightly less than "streetware- female attire on". Me mates form "The Land Down Under" had the best for an entrance to forces in combat. Chain guns a blazin, music loud and the enemy retreating.
Especially on "RRF" (Ready Reaction Force)helos....They had no fear!!! God bless em!
Dan

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:44 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.844 #13 · p.844 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Danpbphoto wrote:
I got 1 fine "art form" from a Vietnam era Huey.....Cant find it...
Stay tuned!
Dan

I've got a few nose art pictures that would probably get me banned here

Rob

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:53 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.844 #14 · p.844 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RobMoser wrote:
I've got a few nose art pictures that would probably get me banned here

Rob

Yeah my 2 would have definitely have Fred lock me out!
If you really would like to share> I would love to see them! Our numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate!
PM me if you so desire and I will give you my email. No harm, no foul!
Dan

Mar 22, 2023 at 01:15 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.844 #15 · p.844 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a few, hopefully not too objectionable.

Rob

NIKON D2X    24.0-120.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens    120mm    f/10.0    1/400s    160 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D2X    24.0-120.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens    58mm    f/32.0    1/60s    160 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D2Xs    24.0-120.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens    58mm    f/5.0    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D2Xs    24.0-120.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens    50mm    f/4.8    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D2X    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    46mm    f/4.8    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Mar 22, 2023 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2023 at 02:45 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.844 #16 · p.844 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RobMoser wrote:
Here's a few, hopefully not too objectionable.

Rob

WOW!!!!!!..No objection here!
Dan

Mar 22, 2023 at 03:23 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.844 #17 · p.844 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The CAF when in Midland, had a whole full of the art pieces from chrushed WW11 aircraft.
Dan, i was there 1964-1970, flying in MAC.
Bob is you still have the D2X, i can send you a free L bracket.

Mar 22, 2023 at 05:32 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.844 #18 · p.844 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the offer, but the D2x's I have are in a box (nobody wants them ). Those were old pictures I pulled out of my archives. These days I'm running a Z9, a D5 and a couple of D850. Probably I'll pick up another Z9 soon and ditch the D5.

Rob

Mar 22, 2023 at 05:48 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.844 #19 · p.844 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
The CAF when in Midland, had a whole full of the art pieces from chrushed WW11 aircraft.
Dan, i was there 1964-1970, flying in MAC.
Bob is you still have the D2X, i can send you a free L bracket.

I never visited CAF in Midland, but they had the nose art all along the top of the two long walls in their big hangar and museum when they were located at Harlingen, TX. I was amazed how artistic they were. I expected them to be somewhat crude.

We had one crew chief in our unit at Ellington who was artistic. He had studied as a draftsman until he was drafted in the military and chose to go into the Navy, then we got him. He was a great artist. If you ever saw the Texas Flag on 147th aircraft, he designed it. He also the designed the "Texans" logo on the fuselage. The first ones he did were hand drawn then he made us stencils. Unfortunately his Navy gig in SEA had a lingering effect on him and he developed a drinking problem. He died much too young.

Not my photo, J. Lilienthal took this photo of our F-101B displayed at the Technik Museum, Speyer. I know Kenny would be proud to know his work is displayed in such a prodigious location. BTW, there are several of our jets displayed around with his work.

Mar 22, 2023 at 06:05 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.844 #20 · p.844 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Perseverance: I shot from five different locations and elevations in 30 minutes hoping to get a good shot with continuous misty rain, thank goodness for my ThinkTank rain cover...
Inside the park home run...

Mar 22, 2023 at 08:14 PM
1       2       3              843      
       845              987       988       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              843      
       845              987       988       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.