FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              1009              end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

henry albert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1010 #1 · p.1010 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

EGrav wrote:
It "ain't" active for any low level activities.

Bummer. Thanks for the info.

May 15, 2024 at 06:50 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1010 #2 · p.1010 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Last installment from Cherry Point. All the shots of this AV-8B Harrier II I got are unsharp, I blame it on heat shimmering.. Even a fair amount of sharpening could only do so much. This was its last demo performance so whatever shots I got will be the last time.

ILCE-1    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    840mm    f/7.1    1/2500s    160 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    840mm    f/6.3    1/3200s    320 ISO    -0.7 EV  

ILCE-1    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter lens    840mm    f/6.3    1/4000s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

May 15, 2024 at 08:22 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1010 #3 · p.1010 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Douglas,
I would be happy with these shots. Take a step back from your monitor and they'll look just fine. It's the memory of this last flight for the Harrier that matters most, and when you said blurry, I looked and said, Ok - I need to get my eyes checked...

Gero

May 15, 2024 at 08:37 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1010 #4 · p.1010 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice shots Douglas and you cleaned up really good.
Love the head on one, almost thought it was a Vulcan at first till I saw all of it.

May 15, 2024 at 11:47 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1010 #5 · p.1010 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hands up !

May 15, 2024 at 11:47 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1010 #6 · p.1010 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bill, golden hour brought out the colors in your first shot. Nice.

May 16, 2024 at 08:13 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1010 #7 · p.1010 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great work Guys!

May 16, 2024 at 09:17 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1010 #8 · p.1010 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

BTW, after all the waiting on the RF 200-800, Iím going to pass. I was thinking about it last night , and, given the fact that I can slap a 1.4 on my 100-500 and have similar reach, or on the 600 for that matter, spending a couple of grand for that lens doesnít make much sense . Iíll save my nickels for the next body release, which appears to be imminent.

May 16, 2024 at 09:21 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1010 #9 · p.1010 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Douglas,
I would be happy with these shots. Take a step back from your monitor and they'll look just fine. It's the memory of this last flight for the Harrier that matters most, and when you said blurry, I looked and said, Ok - I need to get my eyes checked...

Gero

---------------------------------------------

Bill Gass wrote:
Nice shots Douglas and you cleaned up really good.
Love the head on one, almost thought it was a Vulcan at first till I saw all of it.

Thank you guys! Gero, you are correct, memory is more important than sharp pictures in this case. I wish I had been into airshows when the F-14s were still flying. Bill, I wish I had the privilege to shoot in those lighting conditions!

May 16, 2024 at 09:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1010 #10 · p.1010 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
BTW, after all the waiting on the RF 200-800, Iím going to pass. I was thinking about it last night , and, given the fact that I can slap a 1.4 on my 100-500 and have similar reach, or on the 600 for that matter, spending a couple of grand for that lens doesnít make much sense . Iíll save my nickels for the next body release, which appears to be imminent.

Jim, did you see the Canon R1 specs accidentally leaked by Adorama? Not sure if it's the real specs though.

May 16, 2024 at 09:33 AM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1010 #11 · p.1010 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Douglas L wrote:
Jim, did you see the Canon R1 specs accidentally leaked by Adorama? Not sure if it's the real specs though.

Every article/announcement I have seen has associated the R1 with "sports". If that is true, the sensor resolution will more than likely be in the 30 mp range. Sports photographers do not need high resolution sensors, we want sensors with quick auto focus and high ISO capabilities along with file sizes we can quickly transmit over the internet.

May 16, 2024 at 10:09 AM
RobMoser
• • •
p.1010 #12 · p.1010 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Douglas L wrote:

Thank you guys! Gero, you are correct, memory is more important than sharp pictures in this case. I wish I had been into airshows when the F-14s were still flying. Bill, I wish I had the privilege to shoot in those lighting conditions!

Back in the day when I was in at Sub Base in San Diego I would go up to Miramar to watch the F-14. They would break for final right over the Navy Picnic area across the freeway from the main base. It was amazing to watch them break and the wings would sweep forward. All those times I went and I never grabbed a camera. Talk about lost opportunities; they were so low you could almost count the rivets. Sigh...

Rob

May 16, 2024 at 12:47 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1010 #13 · p.1010 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ray Swindle wrote:
Every article/announcement I have seen has associated the R1 with "sports". If that is true, the sensor resolution will more than likely be in the 30 mp range. Sports photographers do not need high resolution sensors, we want sensors with quick auto focus and high ISO capabilities along with file sizes we can quickly transmit over the internet.

You are right. If I don't need to crop so much in bird photos, 30 MP is plenty for me.

RobMoser wrote:
Back in the day when I was in at Sub Base in San Diego I would go up to Miramar to watch the F-14. They would break for final right over the Navy Picnic area across the freeway from the main base. It was amazing to watch them break and the wings would sweep forward. All those times I went and I never grabbed a camera. Talk about lost opportunities; they were so low you could almost count the rivets. Sigh...

Rob

The other plane I wish I had seen flying is the SR-71. I saw the U-2 flying a couple years ago but it's no Blackbird.

May 16, 2024 at 03:49 PM
cs3is
• • •
p.1010 #14 · p.1010 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spectacular set

May 16, 2024 at 10:27 PM
jlambros

p.1010 #15 · p.1010 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Douglas,
Fantastic job with the Harrier. Heat distortion is the enemy of airshows and long lenses. I guess we need Topaz to add "heat distortion removal".

Jeff

May 16, 2024 at 11:32 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1010 #16 · p.1010 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's another reason I decided to pass on the 200-800, that long end is so adversely affected by the atmosphere that it really limits opportunities, and not having the "L" elements and coatings will only exacerbate that problem. The reviews are very good on the lens, but if you already have a 100-500 and an RF600/4, it seemed like a waste of money.

I have a love/hate relationship with Topaz, sometimes it's just what the Dr. ordered, other times it introduces more artifacts than one can tolerate.

May 17, 2024 at 04:36 AM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.1010 #17 · p.1010 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Happy Friday !!

Been rather busy lately with travel to photograph these beautiful birds for sale.

Shot this Falcon 2000 last week.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!

May 17, 2024 at 12:24 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.1010 #18 · p.1010 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Douglas L wrote:
Yes, "Rebel" Aimee. I got to say this though, of all the F-16 flying I have seen, the Belgium demo pilot is out of this world. He flew his f-16 like an RC plane, unbelievable maneuvers. He had over 5000 hours flying F-16.

Jup that is Steven ''Vrieske'' De Vries,
Unfortunately no demo anymore because of Transition to the F35.

May 17, 2024 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.