FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              725      
       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.726 #1 · p.726 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another one of those "opportunities" that haunt me is the shoot with Glenn and Andrew doing the Cobra race. Chandler and I standing together on the runway with Andrew coming through the smoke inverted and headed right at us. A month later the whole tail section and part of the fuselage twisted off that aircraft in a relatively low G maneuver...........ugh! After that happened I kept coming up with reasons why Chili needed to be somewhere back a bit further and out of the "scatter radius". The Holy Spirit has always been there, whispering........"go there/don't go there, don't get in that airplane, don't fly with that pilot", and I have tried to listen and follow, but man, some of this was a little close for comfort.

Jul 06, 2022 at 11:54 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.726 #2 · p.726 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I don't know if I ever mentioned it but years ago Larry and I were shooting one of the few dusk Alliance performances and unwittingly got ourselves into a dicey situation. Shockwave was doing it's thing, things had gotten pushed back by almost an hour so it was not dusk anymore, it was full blown dark. We positioned ourselves on the ramp to catch a pass of Shockwave as it rolled by a Black Tie Gala being held a big hangar. Larry was about twenty feet behind me and, of course, I had to push the limits so I was
...Show more

I think I was there have to look in the files but it rings a bell.

Jul 06, 2022 at 02:21 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.726 #3 · p.726 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Speaking of closeness to afterburners...

I had just transferred to the TxANG working the night shift in the hanger. Along with the transfer I changed jobs from jet engine mechanic to aircraft mechanic, going from cargo aircraft to fighters. The flight line supervisor came into the hangar and my supervisor asked him how it was going. He said the jet engine night shift mechanic had left so they couldn't get a jet back in commission for the morning mission. I heard the conversation and asked what the problem was. He said they needed to trim the A/B, but they didn't have a mechanic. I told him I was a jet mech and would be happy to help. I figured I had been under C-141s adjusting thrust reversers as they opened and closed, so I didn't figure the A/B would be much different. Boy, was I wrong. I was holding this little Allen wrench waiting for the guy in the cockpit to light up the A/B. When that A/B lit, every bone in my body began shaking. I concentrated on getting that little Allen wrench into the adjustment so I could turn it. I wasn't on the head set, so the ground guy was telling me up or down with his thumb. I learned with the thrust reversers to concentrate on issue at hand and ignore the noise and vibrations. This was another level, especially when the A/B initially lights up with the 'bang'. When I got the Allen wrench in the adjustment screw I could feel myself shaking in sync with the engine harmonics. Amazing...then we had to go up to full military...what a thrilling experience. Somehow after the first few seconds I was use to it.

Jul 06, 2022 at 02:58 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.726 #4 · p.726 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ttown Aubie wrote:
Douglas those are some fantastic shots! You never cease to amaze.

---------------------------------------------

Bill Gass wrote:
Ya, one hellova shot, love the planes with the sun reflecting on them also. Nice work.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We’ll Douglas, you definitely do not disappoint my friend. We’ll done, again and again.

Karl Witt wrote:
Incredible jet action Douglas! Looks like they are popping out of nowhere and the coloring on the cockpit against the soft wash of the air is beautiful! Impressive sensation of speed, I have a long long way to go to get my panning skills up to speed

Nice looking fireworks Bill

All good, I am enjoying the show from my seat at home, thank you guys

Jim, thanks for the heads up on Oshkosh, that place is on my bucket list for sure for the big event!

Karl

Thank you gentlemen!

Finally I was able to connect with Chris Darnell's family and sent them the 53 pictures I took immediately before and after the trouble appeared. Hopeful they can find something from these pictures.

Jim, I am starting to pay more attention to those sunset shows. The one in Oshkosh is pretty far away from me... Maybe next year.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password