New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end

Archive 2007 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

John Power
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

"I only mention this because I see so many people who want the latest and greatest but don't really need to spend $8000 or more on a body. Really consider what you are purchasing. "

Great review and this quote is pobably the most significant observation in the review for many of us. I'll try to remember that Phil. Used 1DSMK2 anyone?

Dec 04, 2007 at 06:51 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

PhilH wrote:
Thanks all for the kind words. Here's a little more info on noise on the high end of the beast.

I just posted this over at dpreview. 2 stops improvement might be too generous.

I've updated the review to state 1 stop now.

http://www.artbyphil.com/temp/temp_1Ds3and2HighISOpush.jpg

Here's what I posted.

"What I'm trying to convey is that the 1Ds Mark III retains more black and gray data. If you look at the graphic above you'll notice the difference in an extreme push of two stops. The curve adjustment was then added to peak out the transition from black to white along the crops. To me I see
...Show more

Thanks for that clarification Phil and again, thanks for the review. You've done everyone a great service and "scooped" every major site on the net.

As for the ISO improvement, even if it's 1 stop that's still significant. I'd be primarily using the camera as a studio and landscape camera, but I'd love to have low light performance too. I know it won't equal my 1Dmk3, but twice the resolution is a good tradeoff!

Dec 04, 2007 at 07:27 AM
jcbenner
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

It is not just that this review was first ahead of other typical places to find reviews, this review addressed issues I care about in a entertaining and fresh way.

A great service to all.

Dec 04, 2007 at 08:18 AM
PeepingTom
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thanks for sharing Phil.

Dec 04, 2007 at 08:40 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Great Review Phil! I enjoyed reading that, Well done.

Dec 04, 2007 at 08:42 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thanks for the review.

"What's missing? Two things in my mind as far as the 1Ds Mark III go. My number one is to add the ability to manually select all of the auto focus points that the camera has available for use. In this case only 19 of the 45 are selectable, while the previous 1Ds Mark II had all 45 selectable. I don't know why Canon didn't leave this in as a custom function and I'll be calling them about this."

I think I do. I - like many others - constantly use CF13 at 1,2 or 3 positions. 9 or 11 AF point were just right as the difference between two adjacent AF points is not noticeable in real world shooting. I can hypothesise that making all 45 AF points cross type would be too costly and not worth it for the majority of photographers.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 04, 2007 at 10:02 AM
shoeless
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thanks for the interesting read - maybe in 5 or so years I'll be able to afford such a camera

Dec 04, 2007 at 10:27 AM
busterboy

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

One of the best reviews I have read in a long time. Thank you Phil..

Dec 04, 2007 at 12:40 PM
PhilH
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Yakim Peled wrote:
I think I do. I - like many others - constantly use CF13 at 1,2 or 3 positions. 9 or 11 AF point were just right as the difference between two adjacent AF points is not noticeable in real world shooting. I can hypothesise that making all 45 AF points cross type would be too costly and not worth it for the majority of photographers.

The thing is that the 1Ds Mark II's AF points are not all cross type, but you could select every single one of them and it would focus just fine. In the 1Ds Mark III you can see the other focus points being selected. If the camera can utilize them I believe you should be able to as well.

There is a noticeable difference in real world shooting. I'll give you an example just in the landscape photography like I did here. Tripod mounted you compose your frame to a composition that pleases. Then you try to lock focus, but you find out after you've locked your tripod into position with the frame you want that say the tree you want to focus on is in between two of the selectable AF points.

Same with shooting people if you are trying to lock on to their eye.

The points are there I just want to be able to use them.

Dec 04, 2007 at 01:38 PM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Excellent piece and presentation Phil. Very helpful and informative.

You should get paid -- yet all you have are these "thank you"s.

Bart Carrig

Dec 04, 2007 at 03:14 PM
Tim Gray
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Curious about the ISO 50 and impact on dynamic range. Chuck Westfall has said (of the previous model)

"There is about a stop less dynamic range in the highlights at ISO 50 "

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0604/westfall.html

Dec 04, 2007 at 04:36 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

I mostly shoot my Mk MKIII @ ISO 3200. I have Nikon's D3 on order because there's just a chance its FF and huge pixels will give me 5D IQ and equal/better MkIII hi ISO noise.

Do you have an opinion of how the MkIII compares to your 1Ds Mk III @ 3200? The MkIII has bigger pixels but the 1DsMkIII twice as many (smaller) pixels which are enlarged less. THANK YOU So much Phil you have worked very hard for all of us!

Dec 04, 2007 at 05:50 PM
Josef Isayo
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

The MK III has better Image Quality than the 5D (when focusing correctly) and much better high asa.

Dec 04, 2007 at 05:57 PM
Johnny Bravo
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Very nicely done, and thank you for posting it.

Mine is on the way......I"m giddy.

Dec 04, 2007 at 06:05 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Great review. Look forward to seeing more out of this camera from you.

Dec 04, 2007 at 06:23 PM
PhilH
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Tim Gray wrote:
"There is about a stop less dynamic range in the highlights at ISO 50 "

Correct. ISO 50 seems to smash down highlights and lift up shadow areas. This is why I said in the review "increase the "workable" dynamic range". In practice and in my experience you can push up the highlights and smack down the shadows via a curve adjustment.

It's hard to explain, but in practice I find ISO 50 pretty usable and useful. Especially when using studio strobes to knock down highlights and to smooth out the "light wrap" around a subject.

Dec 04, 2007 at 07:46 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

tigerp wrote:
Wow, this really pushes me over the edge!!! Thanks, Phil.

If I were more cash-rich, it would push me over the edge as well.

Looks very nice. Very nice.

Dec 04, 2007 at 07:56 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

BTW, thanks for the great review, Phil!

Dec 04, 2007 at 08:07 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Wonderful review! Thank you for your all your hard work and devotion.

Back to my wine and 1dsmkII.

Dec 04, 2007 at 08:13 PM
Etadam
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thank you for making this very relevant information public. Very nice pictures also, I wonder what is the actual part of the camera in this

Out of curiosity, may I ask, for this kind of deep review involving a lot of work from your side, does Canon help you - for instance does Canon lend/give you some equipment? or do you receive any compensation from them?

Dec 04, 2007 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.