FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       4       end

Archive 2007 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

amph1bius
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

PhilH,

I know I asked this in another thread, but would you get the 1dmkIII over the 1dsmk2 in terms of IQ and high iso usage?

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:11 PM
hahr
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

phil, thanks for the review.   now i just need to patiently wait for the phonecall from my dealer.   your review is has officially made me much less patient but more confident that my money will be well-spent.

i'd like your take on the canon 20/2.8 when you get the opportunity to test.

-erik

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:15 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

PhilH wrote:
Jammy Straub - I just checked the Cold Dry Leaves photo and pushed the web resolution one up 3 stops with a levels adjustment. I don't see any banding at all. There's none in the raw image either. You worried me there for a minute. Where do you see it? Or maybe what are you viewing this on? I've printed that image earlier and there's nothing wrong.

Perhaps banding is too strong of a term. It's like a subtle horizontal pattern in the noise in the OOF areas of the photo. Specifically to the left of the center leaf that's in focus in the lighter area of the OOF area. I've got a feeling it's just jpg compression doing some nasties if you're not seeing it in the raw or print. I'm relieved to hear your response.

I'm viewing on a calibrated 20" IMac and and old Powerbook. No worries, it might just be my eyes. They're funny

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:33 PM
PhilH
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

amph1bius - I think it would drastically depend on what you shoot. If I was shooting sports I'd want the better auto focus system and reach of the 1D Mark III.

Like I said in my review I've published ISO 3200 images from the 1Ds Mark II as have others and haven't had too much of an issue. The added resolution of the 1Ds Mark II will lower the noise ratio versus the 1D Mark III as well.

The decision is easier for me because I really enjoy shooting on full frame bodies, but just off of IQ and High ISO it's bit more of a toss up.

I think it comes down to what you photographing the most really. If you need the faster AF and reach the 1D Mark III would likely meet your needs.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Duncan Gibson
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Wow, delightful photography.

I am a few years and a bar admission from owning this camera, but this review really makes the camera look great. Hopefully I will be able to find some time over the next couple years to increase my skills so that I can actually take advantage of the technology!

It's also great to see a photographer who can do it all! The Duck on Duck composition is fabulous, especially the luminous waves on the water. The portrait was great too -- but I am not sure if every model wants to have all their hairs for all to see in high resolution. Finally, the 200mm 2.8 landscapes make great use of the camera's greater tonal range.

Thanks,
DG

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:34 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

thanks for the review. I'm definitely confused though as I see absolutely no improvement over the 1Ds2 at ISO 3200 noise. Perhaps it's obvious at full resolution, but I can't see it on the jpegs that have been posted.

I also can't see any improvement in the HTP shots.

I guess I'll have to wait and see some more shots, but I'm glad everyone else thinks they can see it.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:38 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

AGeoJO wrote:
Thank you for a nice review there, Phil. How big is the average converted tif file from that camera? The typical tif files from my 1Ds MarkII is around 92MB.... I am expecting to get a 1Ds MarkIII before Christmas. Maybe I should shop for a couple 1TB external drives in anticipation, huh?

Joshua

A 48bit tif will push 140-150MB on the 1Ds III .

My old Athlon XP is creaking with 5D files in PS. If you need an idea how bad it is, just make some 21MP panoramas.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:43 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

PhilH wrote:
amph1bius - I think it would drastically depend on what you shoot. If I was shooting sports I'd want the better auto focus system and reach of the 1D Mark III.

I think it comes down to what you photographing the most really. If you need the faster AF and reach the 1D Mark III would likely meet your needs.

Actually they have the same reach; they have almost identical pixel densities. A 1Ds II image cropped to 1D III size is also 10MP.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:45 PM
Matthew Powell

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

review schmeview, I just dig the landscapes. Nice to see something a bit different in that arena.

Dec 03, 2007 at 11:51 PM
Me_XMan
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Nice work Phil

Dec 04, 2007 at 12:05 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Helpful review, Phil, with a good mix of art and tech. Groovy portrait!

Dec 04, 2007 at 12:08 AM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thanks for posting this interesting review, Phil. Very nice job!

Dec 04, 2007 at 12:19 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thank you Phil.
Very useful info about the camera.

Dec 04, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Chrono1081
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thank you for the review! I want one so bad!

Dec 04, 2007 at 01:06 AM
Zane Yau
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Hi Phil, thanks for the review and the beautiful pictures!

Just wondering does the shutter of 1Ds3 sound similar to 1Ds2?

Dec 04, 2007 at 01:24 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Phil: A great, informative review. Thanks for posting it here.

Dec 04, 2007 at 01:25 AM
jcbenner
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Phil,

As others have said, a great review. Thanks.

It would be interesting to see your neat graphic showing the resolution differences between the current full frame cameras updated to also include the original 1Ds so all full-frame cameras are included in the comparison.

Dec 04, 2007 at 01:45 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Just finished the review - excellent write up indeed.

Dec 04, 2007 at 02:14 AM
PhilH
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

Thanks all for the kind words. Here's a little more info on noise on the high end of the beast.

jamesf99 wrote:
I see absolutely no improvement over the 1Ds2 at ISO 3200 noise.

I just posted this over at dpreview. 2 stops improvement might be too generous.

I've updated the review to state 1 stop now.

Here's what I posted.

"What I'm trying to convey is that the 1Ds Mark III retains more black and gray data. If you look at the graphic above you'll notice the difference in an extreme push of two stops. The curve adjustment was then added to peak out the transition from black to white along the crops. To me I see a strong difference across the board.

Is this a full stop advantage? Smaller? Bigger? Hard to tell, but there is indeed more base data in the 1Ds Mark III. Especially on the low end shadow detail.

If I push the 1Ds Mark III another stop I get something fairly similar to the 1Ds Mark II.

This is of course with noise reduction on."

It's very difficult to attach a number to the performance increase here, but it is important to notice the difference.

In regards to HTP, you've got to push the raw data around to a extreme degree to really notice what's going on in my experience.

Dec 04, 2007 at 04:58 AM
alexanderino

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon 1Ds Mark III Review

What a pleasure it was to read your review Well done, and my wallet will not be thankful to you!

P.S.: Aaaawww, Gizmo! ^_^

Dec 04, 2007 at 06:10 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.