New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2007 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

H. Ludens

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Found this video clip on a Japanese web site.

You must select from the menus:
- the video format: choices available: Quicktime or Windows Media Player
- your connection speed: choices available: dialup / 128K DSL / 384K DSL / cable modem

Here's a rough translation of what's being said in that Japanese-language video:

=======

First impressions of a Nikon D3 with a 14-24mm lens.

The camera's weight, though not insubstantial, is very well balanced. This is a very satisfying camera to hold.

For film camera users, the fact that it's a full-size sensor means that the finder gives the field of view one expects, given the lenses' focal lengths. Very natural and comfortable view in the finder.

Checks out the shutter sound the camera makes at 9im/s. Feels very fast in the FX i.e. 12.1mpx full-size - format.

Switches the camera to DX format and tries the 11im/s mode.

Automatic masking in the viewfinder when switched to the cropped DX format.

The 11im/s speed really sounds faster. A bit like firing a machine gun.

Setting the ISO at 6400, in aperture priority mode. At f/5.6, the camera indicates about 1/60th sec. Takes a picture pointing towards the hotel room's window. It's already night outside. Superb picture quality, at least on the LCD panel noise is virtually imperceptible.

Zooming in. The picture quality, even though it's a night scene, holds up really well. The lens' definition is remarkable too. Zooming further in. Overall impression is that the noise level is very low at ISO6400.

Takes a picture of the ceiling lamp. It's a kind of a backlight situation, very contrasty. Excellent tone rendition from the lens. Highlights and tonal range hold up very well even at ISO6400, which is a nice surprise.

The LCD panel has a very wide angle of view.
[The lady demonstrates taking a picture while holding the camera high up.] LCD picture of the live view display remains very clear and visible, thanks to the LCD panel's 170-degree angle of view. Quite impressive.

Demos the built-in "digital spirit level", which displays, aritificial horizon-like, the camera's tilt. Quite convenient e.g. for architectural photography. No need anymore to put a spirit level on the hotshoe.

Expected street price and availability: around 580,000 yens, November 2007

Aug 24, 2007 at 06:25 AM
R. Francois
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Aug 24, 2007 at 06:28 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Aug 24, 2007 at 06:35 AM
j.curtis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely stupid. You can not judge the quality of an image by the LCD screen on the back of your camera.

I know were excited about the new camera's...

Aug 24, 2007 at 06:49 AM
R. Francois
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

j.curtis wrote:
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely stupid. You can not judge the quality of an image by the LCD screen on the back of your camera.

i always do...

Aug 24, 2007 at 06:56 AM
nirito
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Aug 24, 2007 at 06:58 AM
Chris Langer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

j.curtis wrote:

ya but you atleast get an idea. Its not 100% right but to hear those results at 6400 is quite impressive.

Aug 24, 2007 at 07:10 AM
H. Ludens

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

j.curtis wrote:

I wouldn't be so affirmative.
A linear zooming ratio of 6.65x suffices to achieve a dot-by-dot mapping of the 12.1Mpix picture and the LCD screen's pixels.

The guy on the video is playing around with the zoom function, and comments on the noise after magnifying perhaps 8x or 10x the darkest i.e., presumably the most noise-prone areas of the picture he has taken, e.g. the bridge outside the hotel room's window.

As the guy's specifically looking for noise at ISO6400, the fact that he says that noise on the zoomed in picture is hardly noticeable or objectionable is IMHO a good sign, especially for lower and more common ISO settings like 1600

Aug 24, 2007 at 07:13 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

My god, I want one.

Aug 24, 2007 at 07:49 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

You've got three months to wait. Plenty of time to read the specs and see picture after picture and review after review saying how good it is. I have no idea how I will cope. :worried:

Aug 24, 2007 at 08:01 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

It is very nice to know that there are 2 new cameras with impressive technologies. I can see we are not patient though. Those cameras have to be tested thoroughly by someone like Bjorn Rorslett and it will be also by members in this forum. It will be then when we will really know of their capabilities.
I have heard a lot of comments about "finally Nikon catch up with Canon on a full frame" and "finally Nikon put their act together with noise." Research to develop a full frame has been going on at Nikon for years. I do not know the technology involved but in the beginning Canon was using 2 sensors and there were issues with image quality at the center, where the 2 sensors joined. On regard to noise, Nikon never wanted to compromise the quality of the images even knowing they were losing to the market. The D50 was the first camera to prove that Nikon could work with low noise at high ISO settings.
I bet the D3 is a hell of a "full frame" camera. I bet the D300 with all its technological advances will sell like candies in front of a school. Knowing Nikon I am absolutely sure both cameras will be what Nikon is saying they are.
Finally, I have many friends, most of them professional photographers who use Canon. They are very happy with their system because they feel comfortable with their gear. Although the 40D is not up to the specs of the D300 it is still a very capable camera and many photographers are very happy with their 5D.
The bottom line is that regardless of all those bells and whistles professionals buy their gear to do specific jobs. Both systems are excellent and you should use what makes you comfortable and fits your job.
I am very excited like all Nikonians about the new cameras although I will no be in line to buy one. I am sure Canon lovers are also very pleased with the new cameras from Canon. Competition is good and it works in our favor.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Aug 24, 2007 at 08:17 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

j.curtis wrote:

Maybe not strictly speaking, but a 920,000 pixel high resolution LCD comes one hell of a lot closer than any ridiculous 3" screen that anyone else puts out...

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:27 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

By comparison, the 3" screen behind Canon's recently announced 1DsMiii is only 230,000 pixels. And that is for their full frame, 21mp sensor.

It would seem to me like there is a big difference between a 920,000 pixel review screen, versus a 230,000 pixel review screen. And unless one is shooting tethered, which is not possible to do when shooting sports action or candids at a wedding, the screen on the back of the camera is a CRITICAL TOOL used to evaluate pictures in the field, while adjustments can still be made.

Canon has not upgraded the resolution of their rear screen in several years, despite increasing the screen size twice... from 2 inch to 2.5 inch, and from 2.5 inch to 3 inch. Canon's 2 inch screen from the Mk2 was 230,000 pixels. When the larger screen of the Mk2n was introduced, the screen resolution remained the same. And so it goes with the Mk3, and now the 1DsMk3.

Nikons introduction of a 920,000 pixel screen is welcome competition!

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:06 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

the dr looks to massive, drool. how much do kidneys go for now days?

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Markay

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Focus Locus wrote:
By comparison, the 3" screen behind Canon's recently announced 1DsMiii is only 230,000 pixels. And that is for their full frame, 21mp sensor.
It would seem to me like there is a big difference between a 920,000 pixel review screen, versus a 230,000 pixel review screen.
Nikons introduction of a 920,000 pixel screen is welcome competition!

Not to nitpik, but the new Nikon LCD is not strictly 920,000 pixels...they are counting the RGB dots making up each color pixel (as do all the SLR makers).

The actual resolution is 640 x 480 (VGA), which is still quite astonishing in a 3" display (640x480x3 ~ 920,000 dots). Resolution of the Canon LCDs is one fourth of that, or QVGA (320x240).

No doubt the new Nikon LCD, having 4 times the resolution we've been used to up to this point, will indeed show far greater detail when zoomed!

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:41 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

j.curtis wrote:

Well, the one on my D200 gives a surprisingly good assessment of the image quality, at least as far as sharpness and noise go.

Come on, give us a bit of slack. We are all excited to hear how the new toy performs. Sure, there will be banding reports, BGLOD reports, auto-focus tracking issues, body leaks when submerged to 500m, a shortage of accessories, back focus with lenses, corner sharpness issues, chromatic aberration, and other issues once they ship. But that's excitement for the future. No longer do we have to apply a Canon sticker over the Nikon logo when we go outdoors.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:55 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Markay wrote:
Not to nitpik, but the new Nikon LCD is not strictly 920,000 pixels...they are counting the RGB dots making up each color pixel (as do all the SLR makers).

The actual resolution is 640 x 480 (VGA), which is still quite astonishing in a 3" display (640x480x3 ~ 920,000 dots). Resolution of the Canon LCDs is one fourth of that, or QVGA (320x240).

No doubt the new Nikon LCD, having 4 times the resolution we've been used to up to this point, will indeed show far greater detail when zoomed!

Not to "nitpick" , but 4 times 230,000 = 920,000. So it seems we are in agreement, even "strictly" speaking.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:38 PM
Zachs
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Focus Locus wrote:

It would seem to me like there is a big difference between a 920,000 pixel review screen, versus a 230,000 pixel review screen. And unless one is shooting tethered, which is not possible to do when shooting sports action or candids at a wedding, the screen on the back of the camera is a CRITICAL TOOL used to evaluate pictures in the field, while adjustments can still be made.

Canon has not upgraded the resolution of their
...Show more

I'm sorry dude, but that is complete BS. I really want to say the FULL BS words, but I'm holding back for younger viewers. I do GREAT with my TERRIBLE D1H screen. You DON'T need a screen in the back. 1mpx resolution on a 3 inch screen is OVERKILL.
Yes if you don't trust yourself with your camera it is very useful, but the screen should be used for 3 things and 3 things alone.
1. histogram.
2. camera setup/options
3. to make sure you got that shot.

You shouldn't need to enlarge 100000000%, see pixel by pixel, be a photo editor, and play tetris on the back of your camera.

There is NOTHING wrong with what Canon has done with their screens...or what they haven't done for that matter. If you can see the screen, thats great.

Personally I'd like to see a mini-digi slr with no screen so I can relive the F3 glory days w/o film.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Mert
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Do i need one? No
Do i want one? Yes

Aug 24, 2007 at 03:48 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon D3 first impressions video clip

Zachs wrote:
I'm sorry dude, but that is complete BS. I really want to say the FULL BS words, but I'm holding back for younger viewers. I do GREAT with my TERRIBLE D1H screen. You DON'T need a screen in the back. 1mpx resolution on a 3 inch screen is OVERKILL.
Yes if you don't trust yourself with your camera it is very useful, but the screen should be used for 3 things and 3 things alone.
1. histogram.
2. camera setup/options
3. to make sure you got that shot.

You shouldn't need to enlarge 100000000%, see pixel by pixel, be a photo editor, and
...Show more

So the fact that it's harder (although not impossible) to judge critical focus on lower-res LCDs than it is on higher-res LCDs doesn't impact your work? Good for you. I, along with many others, am excited that LCDs might finally get a decent resolution bump across the board, which will hopefully affect other manufacturers as well (I'm a Canon shooter). You're welcome to gouge the LCD out of the back of your DSLR while the rest of us enjoy using ours to make sure we nailed the shot.

Aug 24, 2007 at 05:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.