FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              16       17       end

Archive 2006 · An official Canon teaser

foges
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · An official Canon teaser

A 3D sounds prety logical to me if the ad is real. Reason being that a 1DsII wouldnt be be the begining of a legend, rather the end or something. A 3000 series wouldnt be legendary as its just a cheap body, the cheapest equipment rarely become legendary (unless canon come up with some stuff like they have brought slr cameras that are affordable to everyone, etc...). 3D would however be a completely different series and therefore could be the beginning of a legend

Aug 02, 2006 at 08:55 AM
BryanP
• •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · An official Canon teaser

jamesf99 wrote:
Are you serious? Trading to Nikon because of firware upgrades?

Why don't you just create a PS action called "Add Noise" or "reduce IQ" (hmmm...double entendre)? You can apply this to any image shot over ISO 400, and get the "best" of both worlds.

wow, just wow

you seriously make it seem like canon is the holy grail when it comes to photography

Aug 02, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · An official Canon teaser

>> 3D would however be a completely different series and therefore could be the beginning of a legend

My thinking exactly.

Aug 02, 2006 at 08:58 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · An official Canon teaser

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Hey, what I posted was my late night summary of the specs. Of course the Canon document is much more polished but is very drawn out. I just cut though the hype.

Such a camera would be incredible. Best of all it will be cheaper than 5D although expect 5D price cut. MSRP $2599. Now don't worry that it seems like this would be a better camera than 1 series, as this is the launch pad for a new Canon era and much will find it's way into the all new 1 series whenever it's released.

The EOS 3D will
...Show more

OK mate, it's really time to come clean.

Let's go. You're online now according to the forum. If you've got it, show it. A simple jpeg will do if you don't have a scanner, or provide a link. I think the time has come to prove the existance of anything substantial, otherwise, it's simply noise.

Personally, while this mythical 3d has been discussed ad nauseam for years, if it's not FF, it's another "so what" to me.

Aug 02, 2006 at 09:01 AM
markshaxted
• •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · An official Canon teaser

They're going to rename the Rebel XT line, or introduce a new sub XT camera

"Canon Digital Legend"

Sounds totally plausible to me - the name is naff enough for an entry level camera

Aug 02, 2006 at 09:03 AM
Space Cowboy
• •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · An official Canon teaser

Not a bad idea Mark...

"Canon Legend" for an entry model. I hope not, but now I will have some very bad nights...

Aug 02, 2006 at 09:04 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · An official Canon teaser

BryanP wrote:
wow, just wow

you seriously make it seem like canon is the holy grail when it comes to photography

Wow, just wow is right. The holy grail? Far from it and I can think of 10 things I want Canon to improve immediately.

What bores me even more is the stuff Nikon puts out. I'm just not impressed with Nikon. Noisy, expensive, and I'm also not impressed with the ergonomics. My gut reaction the first time I used the D200 was "no thanks". Do they work? Yes, but I'm not giving them $30k of my money.

As for Canon, the whole "incremental" upgrade stuff is getting old. It's like intel all over again; holding back features and capabilities and dribbling out updates like the 30d. Yes, I know they can't release everything at reasonable prices, but after buying many cameras over the last 10 years I'm getting tired of it.

Aug 02, 2006 at 09:11 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · An official Canon teaser

My predictions for Aug 24 announcements

1. Canon officially ends production of film cameras and 1.6x crop digital cameras
2. 1Ds Mark III 25MP - "the legend" with the Digic III sensor and a smaller body about the size of the 5D - I'm saying bigger than rumored 22MP with a self cleaning sensor. ISO Range 25-6400. An improved LCD that can be seen in daylight.
3. A new 35mm L lens
4. A new 50mm f1.2 L lens
5. New more powerful editing software to replace existing ZoomBrowser EX.

My wish list
1. A mighty new big zoom lens 150-600mm or 200-600mm L
2. 800mm lens
3. Circular fisheye lens

And of course the FD Digital.....

Aug 02, 2006 at 12:26 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · An official Canon teaser

I can seriously see the new legend being a rebranding of the Rebel series. But I don't claim to know anything. Though I did speculate even before 30D disappointment that there would be something more interesting later this year.

I just have a feeling that with a replacement for the 7D on the way from Sony, and the D200 already out there that Canon sees a big gap in the market for a real top-of-the-line 1.6.

I just don't see it being a 1.3 - people who are prepared to drop $1000 on an EFS only lens would also be prepared to drop $2k on a top body to put it on. The costs of making three different sensor sizes would also be more thsan sticking to two.

I guess we could also say a weathersealed almost pro 1.6 could also be considered a legend.

Aug 02, 2006 at 12:34 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · An official Canon teaser

As I guess Canons marketing dept ascribed the direct print button legendary status

Aug 02, 2006 at 12:38 PM
johnastovall
• • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · An official Canon teaser

burningheart wrote:

1. Canon officially ends production of film cameras and 1.6x crop digital cameras
2. 1Ds Mark III 25MP - "the legend" with the Digic III sensor and a smaller body about the size of the 5D - I'm saying bigger than rumored 22MP with a self cleaning sensor. ISO Range 25-6400. An improved LCD that can be seen in daylight.
3. A new 35mm L lens

My wish list
2. 800mm lens
3. Circular
...Show more

Don't you mean "end production of .... and 1.3x crop digital cameras" ?

No way they will end the 1.6x but the 1.3 was just an band aid for a short term problem.

Aug 02, 2006 at 01:07 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · An official Canon teaser

burningheart wrote:

Canon will not end the 1.6 crop cameras. Canon is very committed to them because their sensors are much less expensive to make, the cameras are smaller, which appeals to many people, and lots of other reasons. 1.3 will be merged into the top of the line full-frame cameras. There are no ultrawide lenses for the 1.3 crop except a couple of third party zooms and an expensive manual Zeiss or Leica.

Canon has already announced an end to R&D for film cameras. However, the existing production lines are just making gravy because there are no more R&D costs. Large parts of the globe, especially Africa, do not have much digital penetration and film is still viable, though not forever. Do not expect Canon to end film camera production for at least three years, and probably at least five years.

I will be surprised if there is not a Digic III. The flagship camera is not going to be the size of the 5D. It may be smaller than the 1DsII behemoth, but not much. ISO 25 would come at the expense of dynamic range, even more so than ISO 50, but it is possible. 6400 is also possible, but I don't think likely this time around.

3. A new 35mm L lens

No need for it, unless there is some ETL flash issue like the one that prompted the 85 f/1.2 upgrade. A 30mm f/1.4 EF-S or f/1.8 would make a lot more sense.

Possible, but I don't expect one. There are three strikes against this hypothesis: 1) Higher ISO in digital has greatly reduced the need for 1/3 extra stop. 2) Little demand for an expensive lens. 3) Canon has bigger fish to fry. For example, Canon needs sharper ultrawide lenses with good full-frame sharpness. I'm hoping for a 21mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 up to $1500, but I don't know when it will come about.

Always a possibility, but Photoshop CS2/3 and Photoshop Elements and GIMP reduce the need and utility for this. I don't use ZB.

My wish list
2. 800mm lens
3. Circular fisheye lens

These are actually more likely than your main list. I would think that an 8mm EF-S fisheye would be a good seller. I think the zoom would more likely be a 240-500 or 300-600. Not much demand for an 800mm lens because few could afford one.

Aug 02, 2006 at 01:32 PM
schaloux
• •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · An official Canon teaser

that ad was put on this canon news site a week ago...

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/rumors.html

Aug 02, 2006 at 01:46 PM
schaloux
• •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · An official Canon teaser

also

http://www.camerawest.com/

"New this Fall!
Canon 1DS 22mp
Leica M8 Digital
Nikon D80 10mp

Call or email today to get on the waiting list!
"

Aug 02, 2006 at 01:47 PM
roly72
• •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · An official Canon teaser

their website say they are a second hand camera seller ... does that mean the 1ds 22mp is an old camera. might explain the legend bit in the teaser ad

schaloux wrote:
also

http://www.camerawest.com/

"New this Fall!
Canon 1DS 22mp
Leica M8 Digital
Nikon D80 10mp

Call or email today to get on the waiting list!
"

Aug 02, 2006 at 03:13 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · An official Canon teaser

>> There are no ultrawide lenses for the 1.3 crop except a couple of third party zooms and an expensive manual Zeiss or Leica.

Right.
And that is because the 1.3X format is mainly directed at news and sport photographers. They do not need ultrawide lenses.

>> A new 35mm L lens
No need for it

I agree. What is wrong with the current one?

>> that ad was put on this canon news site a week ago...
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/rumors.html

Well, I am responsible for that one as well :-)

Aug 03, 2006 at 01:36 AM
Aquasimodo

p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · An official Canon teaser

To me, this kind of me-too-Nikon promotional activity suggests it's more of a consumer product than enthusiast/professional. That does not eliminate the possibility of the 3D, but does make me doubt. The 1DSIII is a given.

A better 1.6x crop camera makes more sense given the quality EF-S (better than most EF) lenses floating around, and gives a more sensible graduation path from the Rebel.

The 5D (only real selling point is the full-frame) has not blown crop cameras out of the water in sales so the message has been loud and clear to Canon that full-frame is not enough.

It's only a matter of time until Sony releases a crop camera with similar resolution to the 5D, similar if not better features and much cheaper. It really would be criminal of Canon management to allow Sony to even get in front for a moment in cropped cameras due to dogmatic thinking.

Cropped cameras is where most business is done and here, by definition, a > 30D cropped camera from Sony would be eating into Canon's FF sales (at much more of a rate than the D200 does).

Aug 03, 2006 at 02:26 AM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · An official Canon teaser

Obviously "Every legend has a beginning" refers to the photographer rather than the camera - I think Canon has made a new camera for kids.

Aug 03, 2006 at 05:19 AM
psalm63

p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · An official Canon teaser

i've heard from a buddy of mine that works at a camera shot that their canon rep said the announcement is for a new pro-sumer DSLR around the $600 range, not ground-breaking news to me if that turns out to be true.

Aug 03, 2006 at 06:18 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · An official Canon teaser

It is not impossible that more than one DSLR will be introduced. My hunch is that the word "legend" is referring to something new like a 3D. There might also be a new DSLR below the 350D (3000D? 3500D?) but IMHO it is unlikely that the word "legend" is referring to that kind of DSLR.

Then again, I am not working in marketing.....

Aug 03, 2006 at 06:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.