New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Swap M11 for Q3?

johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Swap M11 for Q3?

My M11 is still waiting to be fixed, so maybe this is just me being frustrated with an M.

Nonetheless, Iím thinking about selling the M11 after itís fixed and getting a Q3. With its high resolution, I could shoot it at 28, 35 and 50 while still having tons of resolution and covering all the focal lengths I use the M for.

Iíd miss the different lenses I can use on the M, but in reality I mostly used only two or three lenses regularly and since theyíre not that wide, I can also adapt them to my R5.

I do think the Q as a camera is not that special but Iíve come to really appreciate Leicaís focus on simplicity.

Your thoughts?

Jul 10, 2024 at 03:38 AM
crf59
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Swap M11 for Q3?

Oh boy. You could get 50 different answers on this. But I'll take a shot.

For reference, I own a Q, Q-P, Q2 and Q3. I also own an M11 and owned an M9, M240 and M10-P. (and I own a bunch of SL gear)

The Q is honestly nothing special - it was half-baked form a capability standpoint. The Q2 though is a terrific camera. The resolution, same quality lens as the Q, and added features make it very flexible. But the Q3 is a step beyond. I don't really care about the tilt screen, but the higher resolution and the superior high ISO performance really are on par with the M11.

I took my Q3 with me on a trip which forced me to use it in all situations and I had little to no regret. My only complaint is I miss the compression I can get with the 90mm or 135mm on the M11. Minor nit though.

I will also say this. I had issues with oil spots on my M11, had a minor software issue and even had to have the rangefinder adjusted within weeks of new. I have never had a single problem with any of the Qs.

So in summary, if you're an M shooter, the Q3 (in my opinion) is a worthy replacement if you aren't addicted to longer M lenses.

Jul 10, 2024 at 06:36 AM
whiteonline

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Swap M11 for Q3?

The Q is great if you understand you can only operate within the confines of the Q.
You can't go wider.
You're losing the fast-lens effect on crop.
Selecting a lens for the occasion/effect is out.

But it's a brilliant camera otherwise. I have/love the Q2.

Jul 10, 2024 at 09:18 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Swap M11 for Q3?

whiteonline wrote:
The Q is great if you understand you can only operate within the confines of the Q.
You can't go wider.
You're losing the fast-lens effect on crop.
Selecting a lens for the occasion/effect is out.

But it's a brilliant camera otherwise. I have/love the Q2.

I have a Q2M, so I know its limitations. In reality, I already donít use my M11 with long lenses because I donít trust my eyes with rangefinder focusing when depth of field is narrow.

What Iíll miss is using different kinds of lenses, but as I said, I can use those with adapters on other cameras.

Jul 10, 2024 at 10:10 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Swap M11 for Q3?

crf59 wrote:
Oh boy. You could get 50 different answers on this. But I'll take a shot.

For reference, I own a Q, Q-P, Q2 and Q3. I also own an M11 and owned an M9, M240 and M10-P. (and I own a bunch of SL gear)

The Q is honestly nothing special - it was half-baked form a capability standpoint. The Q2 though is a terrific camera. The resolution, same quality lens as the Q, and added features make it very flexible. But the Q3 is a step beyond. I don't really care about the tilt screen, but the higher resolution and the
...Show more

My thinking too regarding issues with the M series vs no issues with the Q series.

Jul 10, 2024 at 10:11 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Swap M11 for Q3?

The Q3 is a very nice camera. But for me it is the M11-(P) hands down. A great part of my Leica experience is derived from the lenses, and the MF process. I have never shot a video on any of my cameras, I use my phone for the rare occasions I want a video.

Yes, the majority of my images are shot with the 35mm Lux FLE II, but I would hate to give up the other options in my 21 SEL, 35 Lux, 50 Cron, and 90 APO kit. I just spent a Month in Europe with that kit and never felt that I didn't have the right lens for an image.

I also have a 28mm but somehow it never ends up in the kit when I go out shooting. I guess I see best at 35mm. I would not like being limited to 28mm with the Q.

Jul 10, 2024 at 10:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Swap M11 for Q3?

johnvanr wrote:
My thinking too regarding issues with the M series vs no issues with the Q series.

I think youíre basing this on very limited data points and luck of the draw. I had a defective Leica q3 that stopped working (according to Leica, the sensor malfunctioned) and they replaced it for with a new one, which i sold. It prompted me to buy a new Leica M11 (it had a minor hardware revision) which has had no issues. I later added a Leica Q3 again to my kit that had no issues but i sold it since I preferred using my Leica M kit and thought the Q3 was too big, expensive and limited as a companion camera.

I wouldnít base the decision on defect rates unless youíre buying used. In that case, buy a M11 with a build date sometime after June 2023 or a more recent Leica q3 model (early 2024 build?) and you should be fine.

Jul 10, 2024 at 10:42 AM
whiteonline

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Swap M11 for Q3?

johnvanr wrote:
I have a Q2M, so I know its limitations. In reality, I already donít use my M11 with long lenses because I donít trust my eyes with rangefinder focusing when depth of field is narrow.

What Iíll miss is using different kinds of lenses, but as I said, I can use those with adapters on other cameras.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:10 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Swap M11 for Q3?

johnvanr wrote:

Q3 is amazing-

M11 is irreplaceable-

Buy the Q3 while you are waiting but when it comes back, no way you sell it

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:24 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Swap M11 for Q3?

whiteonline wrote:
Sounds like you have already made up your mind

Nope.

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:34 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Swap M11 for Q3?

Just adding a data point..

Had the Q3 (twice actually, sold both copies eventually). Had the M11 once, sold it.. buying it back shortly while I wait for the SL3 to come in make a final decision.

Q3 is great, but feels constrained at times with the fixed lens. M11 for me finally has the flexibility I wanted with the Visoflex 2 to move between RF and EVF, and use all the lenses I enjoy.

Jul 11, 2024 at 08:28 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Swap M11 for Q3?

And I had my M11 fixed today, so weíll see.

Jul 11, 2024 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.