FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              3       end

Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

RustyRus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

sputnik wrote:
I was certain that I was going to get the 50/1.0 sooner or later, but Iíve come to realize itís not for me (and my wallet is in full agreement). The 50 Apo is tempting me, but for now I think the 40 will suit me better. Again a 28/40/75 trio would be ideal. For now I will use the Nikon 28/1.4D to fill that spot.

I am playing with the 35/50 APO as well as the 40 1.2/50 1.0

I so far much prefer the 50 APO over all of them but still testing them out- I am going to run some tests with my 50 APO from Leica and the 50 APO from Voigtlander to see how they perform on the Nikon Z6iii-

Jul 09, 2024 at 03:13 PM
newyork
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

Iíd imagine the 75 is better at blurring at portrait distances? How about other comparisons with the 75?

40 seems really nice but having the 35 apo idk about owning both. Unless I already had a wider field of focal lengths covered first.

Maybe Iím wrong in that thinking but when would you use one over the other unless you needed 1.2-1.9that the app doesnít have?

kwalsh wrote:
An important thing to realize about the CV 50/1.0 is that at portrait focus distances it has noticeable outward field curvature. This, combined with the expected cats-eye and vignetting for such a fast lens, means that the background blur at the edges is substantially less than one would expect for an F/1.0 lens when shot at portrait distances. As a result when it comes to blurring a background across the frame the 50/1.0 does not have the advantage you'd expect compared with the 40/1.2. They actually come out quite close for edge background blur despite the rather different specifications.

Now the
...Show more

Jul 09, 2024 at 03:17 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

newyork wrote:
Iíd imagine the 75 is better at blurring at portrait distances? How about other comparisons with the 75?

I'm not very familiar with the 75 myself, but I'm sure many others could chime in!

40 seems really nice but having the 35 apo idk about owning both. Unless I already had a wider field of focal lengths covered first.

Maybe Iím wrong in that thinking but when would you use one over the other unless you needed 1.2-1.9that the app doesnít have?

I think you have that right.

Most say, and I think the the images I've seen from it bear that out, that the 35 APO is just about the ideal landscape prime - it is just amazingly well corrected. The 40/1.2 stops down nicely which makes it a nice flexible lens, but it isn't going to out class the 35 APO stopped down.

The other thing I see people comment on is the 35 APO bokeh being "harsh" or "clinical" and that as being a trade off for being so well corrected. I don't have the experience to evaluate that, I'm just parroting what "people say" here. What is clear though is that whether you think the bokeh is harsh or smooth that it is really free of color fringing and that makes it different from the 35/1.8Z and an number of other 35s. So again, another way in which it is really well corrected.

In contrast, the 40/1.2 is really a "character" lens wide open. The character changes a bit with focus distance, because it doesn't have a floating element, and so as you get more close up it gets more "dreamy" as well. A lot of people really rave about the bokeh rendering, and I too like it a lot, but it isn't perfect especially with regards to color fringing. Making overly broad statements then, the 40/1.2 is "less corrected" than the 35 with the supposed benefit of more "pleasing" bokeh, though those who hate color fringing might disagree.

Again, the neat thing about the 40/1.2 is that stopped down it is a very serviceable sharp lens as well. So it makes a quite flexible and capable walk around that can do landscape stopped down admirably; at say F/2 to F/2.8 provides good contrast and sharpness with nice bokeh; wide open has "dreamy" bokeh and a lot of "character" that some people like. It can kind of act like three lenses, whereas most designs seem to only be best at one or two at most of those things.

So in that regard, to me it seems you've got it right. The 40/1.2 is most compelling compared with the 35 APO in the range of F/1.2 to F/2. Above F/2 the differences are much less significant and if you like a well corrected lens then the 35 APO would be preferred.

Again, there are a lot of people here with more experience with these lenses that might have different thoughts.

Jul 09, 2024 at 03:37 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

All very well said. Iím not good enough to be a snob about anything. Many years of learning before Iím allowed that. I donít know what I donít know. But I will say this apo has something special about it. Really enjoy both using it and how the pics and colors look from it.

kwalsh wrote:
I'm not very familiar with the 75 myself, but I'm sure many others could chime in!

I think you have that right.

Most say, and I think the the images I've seen from it bear that out, that the 35 APO is just about the ideal landscape prime - it is just amazingly well corrected. The 40/1.2 stops down nicely which makes it a nice flexible lens, but it isn't going to out class the 35 APO stopped down.

The other thing I see people comment on is the 35 APO bokeh being "harsh" or "clinical" and that as being a trade
...Show more

Jul 09, 2024 at 03:48 PM
ustjwenew

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

I have the 75 but did not have much time to really go out with it. One of the reviews that gives good info about the lens and its behaviour is this one:

https://alikgriffin.com/voigtlander-nokton-75mm-f1-5-review/

It has good pictures in my opinion that shows the character of the lens. It is the VM version though, but that should not be different for the Z variant.

Personally I like the rendering more than what I see in examples with the 50/1.

Jul 09, 2024 at 05:06 PM
Vento
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

Ripolini wrote:
I still do not understand why Cosina doesn't make a Z-mount 21/3.5. The (discontinued) 35/2 and 50/2 have likely suffered from the competition of the Z 35/1.8 S & 50/1.8 S. A compact, lightweight (230 g) 21/3.5 is a quite different tool from the Z 20/1.8 S and therefore could have good sales volumes ...

I would also be interested in the 21/3.5 Color Skopar as a Z-mount version.
I don't understand Cosina here either, as I am convinced that it would sell relatively well in the Z-mount.
Especially as the lens is very light and handy in terms of both dimensions and weight, which is an important aspect for many people when it comes to MF lenses.
Unlike the 75/1.5, where I'm already well equipped with my old Canon FD 85/1.2 L and the Plena.
I currently love the combination of the CV 35/2 AL-Z and the Plena, so a small 21mm Color Skopar would make a perfect triple.
Although the focal lengths are significantly different, they are often used with nodal adapters, which makes the focal length very relative again.
The fun factor with both lenses is enormous, both are exceptional lenses that go full throttle straight away @ max. aperture.

Jul 09, 2024 at 06:15 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

The 75mm is tempting.

I have for now decided to sell the 50mm f1.0 (too much fringing for my taste) and to keep the 35/50 APO and 40 f1.2. All 3 very nice.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jul 09, 2024 at 08:58 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

bernardl wrote:
The 75mm is tempting.

I have for now decided to sell the 50mm f1.0 (too much fringing for my taste) and to keep the 35/50 APO and 40 f1.2. All 3 very nice.

Cheers,
Bernard

You don't find those to be too close in FL to each other? What makes you pick one over the other?

Jul 09, 2024 at 09:09 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

newyork wrote:
You don't find those to be too close in FL to each other? What makes you pick one over the other?

They are indeed pretty close, it's the application really.

For urban/casual/people I use the 40mm f1.2, for landscape, either the 35mm or the 50mm. The 50mm is probably the best but the one I end up using the least somehow.

Jul 10, 2024 at 03:10 AM
Sjredo
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

newyork wrote:
Curious how owners of the new 75 1.5 feel about this lens. What are your thoughts after using it for awhile?

I returned mine after a week of using it.

I already have the 40 1.2 glued to my camera, but this one I find a little bit too difficult to work with. I don't do portraits and I'm mostly on the street/landscape camp.

I like the rendering but the focus throw seems a bit too long, the focus ring a bit stiff (I guess it's to add a bit more precision), and I find nailing focus on a longer FL like this one is HARD even with assists, at least when WO or nearly. It's also almost as heavy as the 24-120z.

Not really my cup of tea, and I hope Nikon comes up with a non S 85 1.4, that would be the greatest.

Jul 10, 2024 at 07:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

newyork
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

I keep hearing that about it being tough to focus unless doing portraits. Now I wish I were a paid portrait guy. Itís a goal but Iím not and rather have versatility l. I have the 105 and 85.

Think I may get the 50/2 instead

Sjredo wrote:
I returned mine after a week of using it.

I already have the 40 1.2 glued to my camera, but this one I find a little bit too difficult to work with. I don't do portraits and I'm mostly on the street/landscape camp.

I like the rendering but the focus throw seems a bit too long, the focus ring a bit stiff (I guess it's to add a bit more precision), and I find nailing focus on a longer FL like this one is HARD even with assists, at least when WO or nearly. It's also almost as heavy as the
...Show more

Jul 10, 2024 at 08:50 AM
sputnik
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

newyork wrote:
I keep hearing that about it being tough to focus unless doing portraits. Now I wish I were a paid portrait guy. Itís a goal but Iím not and rather have versatility l. I have the 105 and 85.

I believe that the 50 is a great lens, but I donít think you should discard the 75 based on what people say about (their) ability to focus. Personally I found it easier than I expected Ė granted that this is my first chiped manual lens so I have nothing to compare it to.

Jul 10, 2024 at 11:57 AM
newyork
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

Iím happy to hear you say this. I love 50 but Iím really growing to love this 35 and itís going nowhere. Itís a keeper. Having the 35, getting the 75 makes more sense to me.

sputnik wrote:
I believe that the 50 is a great lens, but I donít think you should discard the 75 based on what people say about (their) ability to focus. Personally I found it easier than I expected Ė granted that this is my first chiped manual lens so I have nothing to compare it to.

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:04 PM
theopwildebeest

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

Everything is relative.

Yes, the 75mm is definitely more difficult to focus than my 35mm and 50mm APOs. However, with the APOs I am shooting outside in good light, I am usually shooting dad reportage style (i.e. pretending to be a National Geographic photographer while following my kids around making sure no-one gets knocked over or lost) with an aperture f4-8. My depth of field and focussing distances are greater and if I miss critical focus on an object I may only know if I pixel peep. With the 75mm, I use it at f1.5-2.8, maybe f4. It's often, but not always indoors and the light is, in general, lower. I am standing closer to my subject. People always comment on the shallow DOF one gets with the 50mm F1 lens, but it is even shallower with the 75mm f1.5. If I am doing a headshot and miss critical focus on the eye, it's not subtle. I love the throw and resistance of the focus for my work, although it's not dramatically different than my APO's. It feels different, in part, because it's a much bigger lens.

If you plan on using the 75mm as a general lens and enjoy shooting a 35/85mm combination, there's no reason that you will not accommodate to the lens and learn to focus it without issue at smaller apertures (F4 onward). If you plan to use it more like I do, expect a learning curve, don't plan on shooting anything that moves (other than breathing) in the beginning, and then be absolutely delighted by your results with some practice.

Jul 10, 2024 at 01:56 PM
Sjredo
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

newyork wrote:

to each their own of course, but I thought having used the 40 it would be the same level of easy, but boy was I wrong. I'm 36 and my eyesight is far from its prime, but nailing focus at 75mm @1.4 was quite the challenge even in broad daylight with static subjects.

Having said that, I think it has amazing rendering, and it's really unique!

Jul 10, 2024 at 01:57 PM
newyork
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

I think thatís a challenge worth attacking.
Swapping outside at the beach for close ups of the kids allows for a more closed down lens sometimes which might make it easier but Iíd just practice a ton.

Jul 10, 2024 at 02:37 PM
theopwildebeest

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

I wish you great light shooting with it. It took me a while to get used to especially compared to the 35mm APO. I'm still practicing...

Jul 10, 2024 at 04:14 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

If you all are thinking about buying a CV 75mm do yourselves a favor and take a closer look at the 65mm APO before you do. My 65mm is absolutely the best lens I've ever owned and it fits very well between my 35mm APO and 110mm APO.

So many great choices!

Jul 11, 2024 at 06:25 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

You might be mostly a macro guy, Al. The 75mm is, by design, deliberately 'weak' at close distances for it to get that dreamy look the 65/2 cannot find in its dictionary. ;-)

And see Fred's rating of the 75/1.5 as near equivalent to the 65/2 from mid-apertures down. It's really a fabulous lens by f4-f8, and really surprised me by being able to do that. Easy to handhold too, another surprise.

I had hopes of getting greater use from the 110mm, a fantastic lens, but it's a little too heavy and awkward for my efforts.

Jul 11, 2024 at 08:17 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Voigtlander Z mount 75mm 1.5 owners/users opinions

philip_pj wrote:
You might be mostly a macro guy, Al. The 75mm is, by design, deliberately 'weak' at close distances for it to get that dreamy look the 65/2 cannot find in its dictionary. ;-)

And see Fred's rating of the 75/1.5 as near equivalent to the 65/2 from mid-apertures down. It's really a fabulous lens by f4-f8, and really surprised me by being able to do that. Easy to handhold too, another surprise.

I had hopes of getting greater use from the 110mm, a fantastic lens, but it's a little too heavy and awkward for my efforts.

I don't often shoot macro and find it really not that much fun. Mostly landscape and that's where the APO's come into their own. But Nokton vs. APO...they do have their differences.

Regarding the 110mm....not an easy lens to fall in love with, and I also don't use it often but when it comes to subjects such as flowers this lens is in a class of its own. I don't like where CV placed the aperture ring on the lens, its much too long focus throw is a pain and its weight. But then when I do use it it always brings a smile.

Jul 12, 2024 at 08:34 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.