New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

Iím sure a lot of users have some exposure to Sigma I-Series Primes for Sony E-mount (and Leica L-mount).
I believe there are now nine of these in the family which I hopefully can list correctly. It a pretty full family covering from 17mm at the wide end to 90mm at the telephoto end. I have personally bought a few ( mostly used ) but I havenít seen a comprehensive analysis of the family and their image quality. There are lots of reviews but Iím wondering if any one knows an article the compares and scores the family? I think itís fair to rate their build quality as good excellent where the are are all metal, with built in aperture rings an metal lens hoods, AF/MF switch and fine fit an finish and a straight forward Stepper Motor based AF mechanism. I believe, from widest to longest the lenses in this DG DN Contemporary family are:
1. 17mm f/4
2. 20mm f/2
3. 24mm f/3.5
4. 24mm f/2
5. 35mm f/2
6. 45mm f/2.8
7. 50mm f/2
8. 65mm f/2
9. 90mm f/2.8

I admit Iím mostly interested in the f/2 version and 90/2.8 but wonder if there is a good comprehensive article on the family..
I want to use them mostly on my compact C bodies like the A7CII and A7CR but also occasionally on my full size full frame bodies as well.

Appreciate any links to great articles that cover the family. Also admit that it would be nice if Sony could expand their small G prime family fro three to maybe six to offer a viable alternative.

Take care and thank you for your time.

Jul 06, 2024 at 05:15 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

swldstn wrote:
Appreciate any links to great articles that cover the family.

https://sonyalpha.blog/2023/04/03/sigma-17mm-f4-dg-dn/#11_The_I_series

Jul 06, 2024 at 05:28 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

I have the 90 and it's great but its IQ does suffer a little near MFD.

Jul 06, 2024 at 08:11 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

The 65mm is very nearly a perfect lens. It's just an odd focal length...

Jul 07, 2024 at 07:22 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

MAubrey wrote:
The 65mm is very nearly a perfect lens. It's just an odd focal length...

I agree. The 65mm was my first Sigma I series back in June of 2021 and I really like it. I took just over 2,200 total portrait photos with it during 2021 to early 2023 and it proved to be an excellent portrait lens, very sharp, nice rendering and very good IQ. But my 23 previous years of portrait shooting kept drawing me back to my old habits of using a 50-58mm and 85mm as my 2 main portrait lenses, I missed the slight perspective differences these 2 F/L bring vs just using the 65mm. Now that I have gone back to using my 55mm f1.8ZA along with my Batis 85, I havenít picked up the 65mm lens in over a year.

Same thing with the Sigma 90mm f2.8. The Batis 85mm f1.8 lens is better lens in every way; It has OIS which I find very useful and better rendering, AF speed, color, sharpness, and IQ and despite liking the smaller 90mm Sigma lens because of the styling and build, I just never seem to use it. It is now the 4th lens in my A6700 APS-C kit along with the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, Sony G 15mm f1.4 and Sigma 56mm f1.4.

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 08:51 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 08:13 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

SpecFoto wrote:
I agree. The 65mm was my first Sigma I series back in June of 2021 and I really like it. I took just over 2,200 total portrait photos with it during 2021/2022 and it proved to be an excellent portrait lens, very sharp, nice rendering and very good IQ. But 23 previous years of portrait shooting kept drawing me back to my old habits of using a 50-58mm and 85mm as my 2 main portrait lenses, I missed the slight perspective differences these 2 F/L bring vs just using the 65mm. Now that I have gone back to using my
...Show more

My key interest in the Sigma I-series lenses is their build quality, smaller size, and relatively faster f/2 aperture. In general they vary but are all around ~ 325-350 grams in weight. I also still have some of my Zeiss Batis with the 25/2, 40/2, and 85/1.8 but for my newer compact C bodies wish they were slightly smaller to make carry easier. My travel kit is based on the A7CR and A7CII which is governing the size of most of the lenses I choose. That and the Shimoda Urban Explorer 25L camera bag Iím trying to fit the kit in.

Jul 07, 2024 at 08:50 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

swldstn wrote:
My key interest in the Sigma I-series lenses is their build quality, smaller size, and relatively faster f/2 aperture. In general they vary but are all around ~ 325-350 grams in weight. I also still have some of my Zeiss Batis with the 25/2, 40/2, and 85/1.8 but for my newer compact C bodies wish they were slightly smaller to make carry easier. My travel kit is based on the A7CR and A7CII which is governing the size of most of the lenses I choose. That and the Shimoda Urban Explorer 25L camera bag Iím trying to fit the kit
...Show more

Steve I understand the Sigma I series have a lot going for them and I ended up buying 5 with the 24 f2/, 35 f2 and 45 f2.8 added to the 65 and 90mm. I thought they would be my main lenses when I added my A7CR.

But to be honest, I just like the Batis rendering, uniformity of IQ and standard 67mm filter size better (Sigma i uses 3 filter sizes). I have added the Batis 25 f2 and 40 f2 and along with the Batis 85, this is my now my standard kit with my A7CR. If doing standard portraits, I substitute the 55mm f1.8ZA for the 25mm f2 and these 3 still fit in my smallest 6L PD bag. If doing outdoor nature portraits the Batis 40, 85 and 135 f2.8 go into my Wotancraft 10L shoulder bag along with a AD100 flash kit where again I only have 1 filter size to deal with.

Yes the Batis lenses are on the slightly larger size, but I find them just fine for me with my A7CR. And I had the 24 f1.4GM and still own the 35 and 50 f1.4 GM, but those 3 lenses are, for me a least, just a bit too big for the A7CR. I have the CR set up for manual exposure and the 3 control wheels makes this so quick and easy to make minor adjustments of aperture, ss and ISO. Donít need aperture rings nor any on lens buttons, and honestly I donít find myself missing the joystick as the new AI subject detection in the A7CR is so accurate, I rarely ever have to change the focus point. But if I do a quick press of the AF-On (BBF) resets focus or a press of the control dial on the back to move the AF point makes this easy to do. With the Batis lenses and A7CR, I feel I have the best IQ out there for what I am shooting with as compact of a kit as possible.

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 09:34 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 09:26 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

SpecFoto wrote:
I agree. The 65mm was my first Sigma I series back in June of 2021 and I really like it. I took just over 2,200 total portrait photos with it during 2021 to early 2023 and it proved to be an excellent portrait lens, very sharp, nice rendering and very good IQ. But my 23 previous years of portrait shooting kept drawing me back to my old habits of using a 50-58mm and 85mm as my 2 main portrait lenses, I missed the slight perspective differences these 2 F/L bring vs just using the 65mm. Now that I have gone
...Show more

I find the Sigma 90/2.8 to be sharper than the Batis 85 and know that the 90/2.8 has very good AF, better than all of the Batis lenses (which are a good bit older) in my experience with moving kids and dogs. Marc Alhadeff at Sony Alpha Blog had similar findings when comparing the Sigma and the Batis. Also, like all Batii, the 85 Batis is a corpulent lens that weighs significantly more (157 grams) than the Sigma 90/2.8. IMO, the 90/2.8 is the best lens in the series.

The 65/2 is stellar but hard to fit into a prime lens lineup. Also, it's the heaviest in the I-Series line at 405 grams.

The 17/4 and the 24/3.5 are tiny and have beautiful rendering. The 24/3.5 also has a 1:2 macro reproduction ratio (0.5x).

The 35/2 competes in rendering with the Sony 35 GM - IMO the images that I get with the 35/2 and my A7RV are the closest in appearance to the images that my RX1RII used to produce. I plan to repurchase the 35/2 in the next few months.

The Sigma 45/2.8 has excellent rendering but the AF, for my uses, is too slow and inaccurate - in part related to the spherical aberration that gives the lens such beautiful out of focus areas.

I haven't used the 24/2 because I have the 24 GM which is my favorite Sony lens (today). I haven't used the 50/2 because I love my Zony 55/1.8 ZA which is faster, lighter, and smaller than the Sigma 50/2.

I use the 90/2.8 and the 17/4 as amazingly small and high quality range extenders when coupled with the Sony 24-50/2.8 GM or when used with mid-range primes. I sold the 35/2 but plan to repurchase in the future. I just sold my excellent copy of the 65/2 because I just didn't use it much due to the focal length. The 24/3.5 is for sale because I decided to go with my Sony 24/2.5 G for times when I need a small, unobtrusive 24mm lens. I may regret selling the 24/3.5.

Jul 07, 2024 at 09:33 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

smpetty wrote:
I find the Sigma 90/2.8 to be sharper than the Batis 85 and know that the 90/2.8 has very good AF, better than all of the Batis lenses (which are a good bit older) in my experience with moving kids and dogs. Marc Alhadeff at Sony Alpha Blog had similar findings when comparing the Sigma and the Batis. Also, like all Batii, the 85 Batis is a corpulent lens that weighs significantly more (157 grams) than the Sigma 90/2.8. IMO, the 90/2.8 is the best lens in the series.

Uh, I don't agree, as Marc's site says this about the Batis 85 snd Sigma 90??

"Batis 85 f1.8
In the centre : the sharpness is excellent from F1.8 to F16†
In the corners : sharpness is already very good wide open at F1.8 and become excellent from 2.8 up to F16†
So an excellent lens in term of sharpness and consistent from centre to corners

AF is very fast, much faster than the 2 others Sony 85mm and completely silent (others are quiet but not silent)
The AF is very efficient, I never had a missed focus with it , whereas I had several missed ones with the Sony 85mm G Master

Regarding the Sharpness of the Sigma f2.8, Marc says is only Very Good at f2.8,where the Batis was excellent wide open, he says the AF is very fast and accurate." . How is this better than the Batis?

Anyway since I have used the Batis f85 f1.8 for over 10,000 portrait total photos since 2019, it doesn't matter what some website who shoots closeups of books as an indications of sharpness. What matters to me is my experience and I maintain the Batis 85 is a better lens than my Sigma 90mm by a far bit. YMMV

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 09:59 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 09:51 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

SpecFoto wrote:

"Batis 85 f1.8
In the corners : sharpness is already very good wide open at F1.8 and become excellent from 2.8 up to F16†

AF is very fast, much faster than the 2 others Sony 85mm and completely silent (others are quiet but not silent)
The AF is very efficient, I never had a missed focus with it , whereas I had several missed
...Show more

This is from Marc's article about the Sigma 90mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary...

Jul 07, 2024 at 09:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

SpecFoto wrote:

"Batis 85 f1.8

The AF is very efficient, I never had a missed focus with it , whereas I had several missed
...Show more

I've used both lenses in question extensively. I do a lot of photography with moving subjects - dogs, horses, kids - and the Batis lenses were my main lenses for years. But the Batis lenses, in my experience, don't eye-AF or focus track as well as more current lenses. They are excellent lenses and I miss the Zeiss colors. But I have been very happy with the Sigma I-series lenses for times when I need smaller and lighter gear.

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 10:06 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:03 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

delete

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 10:06 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:04 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

Your chart has made my point, I use the Batis wide open 95% of the time for portraits and the Batis is rated as Excellent wide open at f1.8, plus f2 and f2.8 in the center. The Sigma needs to go to f4 to be considered excellent. For me there is no comparison, but YMMV

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:05 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

SpecFoto wrote:
Your chart has made my point, I use the Batis wide open 95% of the time for portraits and the Batis is rated as Excellent wide open at f1.8, f2 and f2.8 in the center. The Sigma needs to go to f4 to be considered excellent. For me there is not conmparasion, but YMMV

I agree, although you left out the part that the Sigma is sharper than the Batis at all other apertures.

Let's agree to disagree. You have a great copy of the Batis 85 and I have a great copy of the Sigma 90. The sharpness of both lenses is excellent. I wish my Sigma had your Batis' colors and that extra stop of light. I would bet that you wouldn't object if your Batis was the size and weight of my Sigma. To each his own...

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:13 AM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

smpetty wrote:
Let's agree to disagree. You have a great copy of the Batis 85 and I have a great copy of the Sigma 90. The sharpness of both lenses is excellent. I wish my Sigma had your Batis' colors and that extra stop of light. I would bet that you wouldn't object if your Batis was the size and weight of my Sigma. To each his own...

I realize my needs are very specific, my Batis 85mm f1.8 and 135 f2.8 are my main lenses for portraits. I donít care that the corners are rated as only very good, as 90% of the time I am am adding vignetting to the permitter anyway to make the subject, in the center of the frame, stand out more.

MY best portrait lens ever was a Nikkor 85 f1.4 D-IF lens from 1995. Nikon did a 1001 Nights engineering story about the special design of the lens and how they added SA elements to specifically make the permitter edges have softer rendering, similar to what Sigma tried to do with the 45 f2.8 I lens. I just loved that 85mm lens for portraits, everything fell so quickly from the center to buttery smooth rendering. That lens will never win any sharpness contests either, but for me, it was the best 85mm lens I have every owned. I am hoping the new Sony 85 f1.4 GM 2 has some of the same characteristics and it is indeed a true portrait lens, but with better AF than the original 85 f1.4 GM. I tried that lens but the AF was not so great. The Batis AF has much better AF and it has been my lens of choice for portraits as the colors and rendering for the Zeiss lens is special, no doubt.

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 11:03 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:58 AM
Palmguy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

I've used the 24/2, 35/2, and 65/2; and while I don't have any of them at the moment, I'd happily use any of them again as I found them to be excellent.

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:59 AM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

SpecFoto wrote:
I realize my needs are very specific, my Batis 85mm f1.8 and 135 f2.8 are my main lenses for portraits. I donít care that the corners are rated as only very good, as 90% of the time I am am adding vignetting to the permitter anyway to make the subject, in the center of the frame, stand out more.

MY best portrait lens ever was a Nikkor 85 f1.4 D-IF lens from 1995. Nikon did a 1001 Nights engineering story about the special design of the lens and how they added SA elements to specifically make the permitter edges have
...Show more

Ditto on the Sony 85mm f/1.4 GM. I can't wait for the GM II version of the 85 to be released.

Jul 07, 2024 at 11:07 AM
sergun
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

I have:
17/4 , 45/2.8 , 90/2.8.
I think the series I not very suitable for portraiture due to insufficient aperture and simple image rendering. . The exception may be 45mm which visually has a smooth background. I have Viltrox 28/1.8, TTartisan 50/1.4 and Mitakon 90/1.5.

90i https://photos.app.goo.gl/3um7mw6SK6ZMGqhw5
45i https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jv4QK4GoWfWZY2PX6

Edited on Jul 09, 2024 at 04:25 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 02:09 PM
swldstn
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

@SpecFoto and @smpetty,

Thanks for all the discussion on both the Zeiss Batis and Sigma I-Series primes. I actually own the Batis 25/2, 40/2, and 85/1.8 but used to own all five. For Sigma I-Series I have the 24/2, 35/2, 45/2.8, 50/2, 65/2, and 90;2.8 so with my fickle nature these seem to be swapping spaces into and out of my bag. I was hoping to cull the herd but I will continue to experiment. Have others like the FE 35/1.8, 55/1.8 ZA and might GM primes (but those are a little heavy) as well so lot to think about.

Take care.

Jul 07, 2024 at 03:38 PM
catacore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma I-Series DG DN Contemporary Primes - User feedback

If you are trying to thinning your lens herd , you might consider getting rid of the 50i and the 65i since you also have the 55ZA. I do have now the 45i and the 90i, but had the 65i twice and never used it. On the other hand, as many here, I have few primes in the "normal" range, so your 50i might have a special place in your lens herd for a reason though.

I have just filled in the gap between the 45i and 90i with a 55ZA and a VM 75/1.9, so I need to see how this goes....

Jul 08, 2024 at 12:01 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.