FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

> Do you bother to use a SD

Yes, and I'm writing redundant DNGs to it, most of the time, for backup reasons or to give me options for getting the images into lightroom.

> Also, does anyone use 36MP rather than the full 60MP?

I thought I might just to improve import and responsiveness in Lightroom, but, so far, 60MP DNGs seems more manageable than the NEF files from the Nikon Z8 / Z9.

Jul 07, 2024 at 10:45 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

bjhurley wrote:
On the other hand, in 13 years of shooting Sony mirrorless cameras (two APSC and two full-frame) I have never once experienced a freeze. I feel like Leica is still playing catch-up with their digital cameras, and I've avoided them (my Leica is a film camera; they certainly knew how to make those).

I experienced one - after a firmware update years ago with my Sony A7R. Camera didn't turn on again even after battery change etc. I was ready to send it in under warranty but gave it a last attempt by pressing randomly all kind of buttons. For some reason this suddenly reactivated the camera - since then it works perfectly fine.

Jul 08, 2024 at 07:12 AM
Henning
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

At present I have an M11 (bought used here), an M10M (new), M240 (new) and have had 5 or 6 other M digital Leicas starting with some M8ís. Maybe 250,000 pictures. Maybe 6 freezes total including 3 with the pre-production M8; none with the M11 yet. Iíve also had about the same frequency of freezes with the Sonys, Panasonics, Canons and Olympi (?) MILCís Iíve had during that time with which Iíve taken maybe 7-900,000 picture over the same period.

I used to research and go by recommended card usage, but now I use Lexar and SanDisk cards, but tend to stick to one notch below the fastest, just like I donít fully trust the fastest and highest capacity HDís or SSDís. Maybe thatís helped. Maybe.

Jul 08, 2024 at 07:16 PM
gordec
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I actually went back to M10R because I preferred the SOC colors of the M10R. I also like the less digital feel of it. If I don't have a Q3 also, I probably would stuck with the M11.

Jul 09, 2024 at 11:27 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

UPDATE: my M11-P arrived today, absolutely mint condition. In the process of packing the cam for shipping, he must have turned the cam on so the battery was dead. I'm charging it now and look forward to firing up the camera to see how it does.

One thing I'm certain is that he didn't sell the camera because it has problems (consistent with telling me that he's experienced no freezes/image corruption). Reason: besides the fact that I've gotten to know him, we've been texting frequently, sharing images, talking about photography in general, and he comes across as a decent really nice guy. Also he has a serious case of GAS. One example is buying the M11M, and then shortly after buying the M11-P on a whim which he's now selling to me because he's decided he only wants to shoot monochrome. Another example: he bought the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH and is now selling it here on FM. He's actually considering a $6,999 offer for this lens that he paid over $13K on a whim while traveling through the Singapore airport.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I got a good copy of the M11-P. Here it is with my 35/1.4 steel rim reissue and my Luigi strap from Italy.

Jul 09, 2024 at 05:23 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Congratulations on the new Camera. It does look like it is in perfect condition. I am sure it will give you many, many years of trouble free photography, and of course legendary image quality.

-Steve-

Jul 09, 2024 at 06:52 PM
Malabito
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Congratulations on the camera! I am not bashing the seller, but the only way for you to truly tell if the camera has no issues is by using it.

Regrettably, many users in the Leica forum sold their M11s and were not entirely forthcoming about the freezing issue. I hope that was not your case...

brick33308 wrote:
UPDATE: my M11-P arrived today, absolutely mint condition. In the process of packing the cam for shipping, he must have turned the cam on so the battery was dead. I'm charging it now and look forward to firing up the camera to see how it does.

One thing I'm certain is that he didn't sell the camera because it has problems (consistent with telling me that he's experienced no freezes/image corruption). Reason: besides the fact that I've gotten to know him, we've been texting frequently, sharing images, talking about photography in general, and he comes across as a decent really
...Show more

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:39 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

brick33308 wrote:

One thing I'm certain is that he didn't sell the camera because it has problems (consistent with telling me that he's experienced no freezes/image corruption). Reason: besides the fact that I've gotten to know him, we've been texting frequently, sharing images, talking about photography in general, and he comes across as a decent really
...Show more

Looks great, just make sure to remove those split rings and put them through the right part of the strap before attaching to the camera

Jul 10, 2024 at 02:56 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Looks great, just make sure to remove those split rings and put them through the right part of the strap before attaching to the camera

not sure I understand

Jul 10, 2024 at 06:44 AM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

brick33308, what I do is place the leather protectors on the lugs against the body first. Then install the split rings on after that to keep the rings from marking up the finish. BTW, the silver M11-P and the Steel Rim look fantastic, touchdown!

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

brick33308
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

goodbokeh wrote:
brick33308, what I do is place the leather protectors on the lugs against the body first. Then install the split rings on after that to keep the rings from marking up the finish. BTW, the silver M11-P and the Steel Rim look fantastic, touchdown!

oh I see, thanks!!!

Jul 10, 2024 at 12:22 PM
BruceRH
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Yes, the split rings should be through the strap itself. The lugs go through the holes, that way the body is protected by leather from the metal rings.

Jul 10, 2024 at 02:56 PM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

great thanks for the aha moment - I never understood what the leather flaps were for

Jul 11, 2024 at 08:48 AM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I bought a 28 Summilux from Dileepa recently. Great guy! Also flawless. He takes really good care of his stuff.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Jul 12, 2024 at 07:22 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

aut0maticdan wrote:
I bought a 28 Summilux from Dileepa recently. Great guy! Also flawless. He takes really good care of his stuff.

Congrats on the acquisition.

yes he's a really nice guy, class act. We've spoke and texted a fair amount since I got the camera from him. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again in the future.

If I had any desire for the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH that he's got for sale on FM, I'd get his in a hearbeat - he's taking a huge haircut on what I expect is a perfect mint copy of that lens. It's a great lens for people using it for portraiture, but I'm a street photog and have no need for such shallow depth of field not to mention its large size/weight.

Jul 12, 2024 at 08:09 AM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I had the same thought on the Noctilux. I feel for him. The resale value on that lens sucks after buying new. Mint ones often go for well under 7K around here.

Did you get the steel rim from him as well? The m11p/steel rim was the combo he was shooting when he visited NY and I acquired the Lux.

To your other question, Iíve only been shooting to an SD card and havenít had any issues on my m11. (Admittedly short timespan of a few months.) I prefer popping the card to plugging in the camera.

Iím using a 256GB Prograde V90 U3. This is the same card I switched to in my Q2M when it regularly choked with a Sandisk (older/slower card that struggled with the big files of the q2m).

EDIT: I am actually using a prograde 256GB V90 U3, I use the Kingston in my Canon R5 and got my wires crossed.

Jul 12, 2024 at 08:28 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

aut0maticdan wrote:
I had the same thought on the Noctilux. I feel for him. The resale value on that lens sucks after buying new. Mint ones often go for well under 7K around here.

Did you get the steel rim from him as well? The m11p/steel rim was the combo he was shooting when he visited NY and I acquired the Lux.

To your other question, Iíve only been shooting to an SD card and havenít had any issues on my m11. (Admittedly short timespan of a few months.) I prefer popping the card to plugging in the camera.

Iím using a 256GB Prograde V90
...Show more

no I only got the camera from him. I got the steel rim new from the Rancho Mirage Leica store - great owner, nice guy, I'll buy from him again if ever I want new Leica gear.

Jul 13, 2024 at 06:24 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I took the M11-P to the farmers market this morning. All was good, but I think there's a learning curve to the 60mp over my M10's 24. The M11-P is way less forgiving than the M10 in terms of revealing camera shake, motion blur, etc. But the better low ISO performance on the M11-P is what I noticed most when viewing the images.

HBdBWszQCsXGkssWdNmwPD5Nz69mJLZm7/O/L1000441.jpg">

Jul 13, 2024 at 02:29 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Yep. I shoot one stop faster shutter speed because of this. IBIS would be a great addition to M cameras.

Jul 13, 2024 at 02:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

1bwana1 wrote:
Yep. I shoot one stop faster shutter speed because of this. IBIS would be a great addition to M cameras.

I usually don't miss IBIS with wide and normal lenses, but I really use it with telephoto lenses. I think Leica is waiting for this technology to become as miniaturized as possible. As we can see from the latest Fuji releases, it's possible to add IBIS with very little impact on size and weight.

Jul 22, 2024 at 01:32 AM
1              end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.