New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

brick33308
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I finally succumbed - just bought from someone on the FM buy/sell a mint M11-P. I've read all the freeze and image corruption threads on the M11 forum, but decided to take a chance especially since the seller assured me he's had no issues with the roughly 500 images he's shot with the camera. The camera has a 12/2023 build date with the most current 2.1.1 firmware so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's fine. After paying the price, I started a budding friendship with the seller. He send me images he's taken and I did the same, and we spoke at length on the phone. He sold the M11-P because he's really only into monochrome images and uses his M11M almost exclusively. Really seems like a stand up nice guy (and he has good approval ratings).

I'm not going to rush to sell my mint M10, instead will wait to see how the M11-P works out. If no problems and I feel good with it, then I'll eventually sell the M10.

Jul 06, 2024 at 12:59 PM
gordec
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I think youíll really like M11P. The freezing part is weird. I bought my M11 here on BS. It never froze once for me. I eventually sold the M11 because I went back to M10R. I prefer the SOC color of the M10R. The guy who bought from me locally said the M11 freezes from time to time for him. Maybe itís SD card. Take that into consideration. Otherwise, M11 is great just about every aspect.

Jul 06, 2024 at 01:40 PM
maly149
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I had issues on my M10 even, with Sony SD cards. No issues with Sandisk, so I also think it's SD card related.

Jul 06, 2024 at 02:24 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I've had my M11 for 18 months. It's frozen 5 times, mostly on firmware 1.6.2. When it did freeze popping the battery has fixed it. I've had Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, and Sony. The M11 was my first M camera and it's still my favorite camera of all time that I have had.

Jul 06, 2024 at 02:25 PM
goodbokeh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Hi brick33308. I'm thinking about a M11-P for my 70th when I will also be traveling to Europe in September/October. The 2+ years of M11 firmware issues have me cautious so I haven't purchased one yet. Some forums seem pretty harsh on the M11 (Leica Forum) and others not at all (Facebook). I recently read the M240 had hardware/software bugs for nearly 3 years that finally got ironed out.

Did you go with silver or black? I'm partial to silver myself, I have some silver Leica M lenses that look great on my silver M10-R. If I do buy a M11-P I will keep my M10-R as a companion for carrying a different lens, also as a emergency back up. I also have a M10M Leitz Wetzlar Edition that I don't use that much but it scratches an itch from time to time ;-)

Are you going to get any Leica or 3rd party accessories?

Doug

Jul 06, 2024 at 02:35 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

brick33308 wrote:
the seller assured me he's had no issues with the roughly 500 images he's shot with the camera. The camera has a 12/2023 build date with the most current 2.1.1 firmware so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's fine.

You are describing my camera, also an M11-P with Dec 2023 box date, and I too have had zero issues on the current firmware, and also no issues on the previous except doing the firmware upgrade via SD card; I used the FOTOS approach and that worked just fine. Lexar 256GB 2000x card; haven't experimented with my others as yet. 1/2 TB of storage in an every day camera is... plenty.

Sounds like you have a solid seller and will have plenty of good years with that body.

I feel for any M11 owner, past or present, suffering from freeze and other issues.

Looking forward to seeing some images from you.

Jul 06, 2024 at 03:04 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

maly149 wrote:
I had issues on my M10 even, with Sony SD cards. No issues with Sandisk, so I also think it's SD card related.

Every digital M seems to have some sort of freezing problem. My M240 usually freezes when using the accessory EVF and sometimes when using live view to the rear display. Occasionally it will freeze randomly. M9 would freeze if reviewing and zooming into images while it was still writing those images to the card (and the write would then fail)... I still haven't moved to the M10 generation so not sure what the problems are there but would expect some sort of random freezes.

Just to be fair to Leica, my Canon mirrorless cameras also occasionally freeze. I don't recall it happening as frequently with my Canon DSLRs, so lt's likely related to how electronically complex cameras have become recently. M11 is basically a mirrorless camera without an EVF or always-on feed to the rear display, but is still constantly pulling a feed off the sensor for metering purposes. I'd really like Leica to revisit this aspect of the design and give experienced user the option to turn off metering and keep the shutter closed between exposures.

Jul 06, 2024 at 03:52 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

rscheffler wrote:
Every digital M seems to have some sort of freezing problem. My M240 usually freezes when using the accessory EVF and sometimes when using live view to the rear display. Occasionally it will freeze randomly.

Neither my M-E 240 nor my MM 246 which I both use also with the VF-2 external EVF and LiveView ever had a freezing issue. Maybe I am just lucky with my two copies. But I never experienced it so far!

Jul 06, 2024 at 03:58 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

brick33308 wrote:
I finally succumbed - just bought from someone on the FM buy/sell a mint M11-P. I've read all the freeze and image corruption threads on the M11 forum, but decided to take a chance especially since the seller assured me he's had no issues with the roughly 500 images he's shot with the camera. The camera has a 12/2023 build date with the most current 2.1.1 firmware so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's fine. After paying the price, I started a budding friendship with the seller. He send me images he's taken and I did the same, and
...Show more

Congrats! In simple words: best of luck that hopefully your copy works well! Enjoy!

Jul 06, 2024 at 04:00 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I've never had any Leica freeze on me....until last night. M10R froze on me, had to remove the battery and pop back in. Froze when adjusting the exposure comp

Jul 06, 2024 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

It is almost certain thereís more than a single thing going on with the M11. Iíve had my M11 and M11M since release day. No issues except when I put few 2.0.2 on the M11. 2.2.x fixed my camera and most other cameras. But some still have issues. Itís certain Leica fixed the issues for many but not all users.

When I got my M11 I was told of a bug when turning auto review off. So I set it to *on hold* and never looked back. I also refuse to put Sony cards in an Leica. So far thatís gotten me a reliable stable camera. My only freeze was when I tried taking a few shots in quick succession and then immediately pushing the play button a few times. I could get it to freeze. But thatís so far from my normal shooting style that Iíve never had it happen in the field and it may have been fixed.

Gordon

Jul 06, 2024 at 06:00 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Overall, my M11 has been a stable, experience the almost 2 years I have owned it. I did have some freezes when I tried to use Sony Tough card in it however.

I hope you have a similarly great experience with yours.

Jul 06, 2024 at 07:14 PM
songwj0126

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Congratulations! I bought it new last month and haven't experience a freezing issue.

To me, M11-P (or M11) is the most practical digital M to date, despite its high price. Also, the sensor gives me a new light on vintage lenses, thanks to its high contrast and color vividity.

Jul 06, 2024 at 11:13 PM
Malabito
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

I had the M240 and M10 and never had any freezing issues with them, (5 years each). I now have an M11, and even though it doesn't freeze frequently, it has frozen a couple of times with the previous and recent firmwares. Is it the end of the world? No, especially if you are not planning to use the camera for work.

Given that my freezes are very rare, occurring perhaps once every 2,000 images, I can enjoy my M11. However, they do make me angry considering the price of the camera and the lack of reliability for professional use. It's too risky. I've also encountered a few instances of upside-down images, which are easily fixed in Lightroom, but it's still an issue.

Leica has a real problem on its hands, and as a user, I've lost trust in my equipment. The SL3 erasing images and the M11 still freezing after two years... I speculate that they may have offshored their software development to reduce costs and are now paying the consequences, or perhaps they have terrible management.

The best you can do is use your camera and ignore whatever anyone tells you about how to avoid the freezes. No one knows what causes them or how to avoid them. Perhaps you'll be lucky and won't experience any. I've taken around 10,000 images with mine, and while it hasn't been 100% perfect, it's been close enough... maybe three or four freezes in total, which isn't bad considering the situation others have faced.

Just use a reliable SD card and enjoy your camera. By the way, I use a combination of 6-bit coded and non-coded lenses and have the camera set to RAW to SD card and JPG to internal... and it's been working mostly great, so ignore all thr stupid recommendations and just shoot...

Jul 07, 2024 at 01:40 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

goodbokeh wrote:
Hi brick33308. I'm thinking about a M11-P for my 70th when I will also be traveling to Europe in September/October. The 2+ years of M11 firmware issues have me cautious so I haven't purchased one yet. Some forums seem pretty harsh on the M11 (Leica Forum) and others not at all (Facebook). I recently read the M240 had hardware/software bugs for nearly 3 years that finally got ironed out.

Did you go with silver or black? I'm partial to silver myself, I have some silver Leica M lenses that look great on my silver M10-R. If I do buy a
...Show more

it's the silver model.

I'll keep my M10 for a while, and if I adapt well to the M11-P and it has no problems, maybe I'll sell it after a while. I'm on the fence as I love the M10. I just don't know if I'd ever use it again if the M11-P works out.

Jul 07, 2024 at 06:10 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

rscheffler wrote:
Just to be fair to Leica, my Canon mirrorless cameras also occasionally freeze. I don't recall it happening as frequently with my Canon DSLRs, so lt's likely related to how electronically complex cameras have become recently.

On the other hand, in 13 years of shooting Sony mirrorless cameras (two APSC and two full-frame) I have never once experienced a freeze. I feel like Leica is still playing catch-up with their digital cameras, and I've avoided them (my Leica is a film camera; they certainly knew how to make those).

Jul 07, 2024 at 06:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Between my CL, TL2, M-P (those three are since sold), M246, M10R and SL2-S ... I can vaguely recall needing to pop out a battery only once or twice for something freezing.

That was a while back and iirc, I was shooting on an old card. I updated my cards and haven't had an issue since. Kinda funny how we can spend $$$$$ on somethings, then get cheap about the little $ things, sometimes. I can't say for sure, it was card related, but ...

I think it was the M-P (or M246), since my memory recalls the larger battery being the one I popped out.

Enjoy your M11-P ... put your energy toward shooting, rather than worrying about what might (or not) happen.

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 06:28 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 06:25 AM
brick33308
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

Malabito wrote:
I had the M240 and M10 and never had any freezing issues with them, (5 years each). I now have an M11, and even though it doesn't freeze frequently, it has frozen a couple of times with the previous and recent firmwares. Is it the end of the world? No, especially if you are not planning to use the camera for work.

Given that my freezes are very rare, occurring perhaps once every 2,000 images, I can enjoy my M11. However, they do make me angry considering the price of the camera and the lack of reliability for professional use. It's
...Show more

The card I'll use is SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II. Which brings me to a question for the M11 owners - especially the M11-P owners who have 256GB internal memory. Do you bother to use a SD, and if so, how do you have the camera set to record images to internal and SD drives?

Also, does anyone use 36MP rather than the full 60MP?

Jul 07, 2024 at 06:26 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

You can choose to shoot the internal memory as:

Overflow- it won't be written to unless the primary card is full.

Redundant- the camera will write identical files to both the card and internal.

RAW + JPEG - one format to card the other to internal.

Of course the exact same choices are available in reverse if you prefer.

These choices are easily configured in the menus. You can access this through the "Storage Management" option on page 4 of the "Main Menu".

I have played a bit using the smaller file sizes. However, I found no real advantage and have settled on shooting full resolution at all times. My 24 terabyte Raid drive DAS, and computer processing power handles it just fine. I Paid for 60mpx and want it all.

Edited on Jul 07, 2024 at 10:18 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2024 at 07:16 AM
Malabito
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · M11-P: hope I didn't make a mistake

brick33308 wrote:
The card I'll use is SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II. Which brings me to a question for the M11 owners - especially the M11-P owners who have 256GB internal memory. Do you bother to use a SD, and if so, how do you have the camera set to record images to internal and SD drives?

Also, does anyone use 36MP rather than the full 60MP?

I don't have the m11p, i have the m11, but I use a card cause it's just easier to transfer the images to the camera, also i set the camera to write raws to the sd card and jpgs internally as backup...

If you don't care about the backup, nor about having to connect a cable to the camera to transfer the images, (to me this is cumbersome and not practical), then yes i don't see a need for the card.

When I got the camera i was shooting full 60mp just for the fun and cause the camera has it.... but after a couple of months i changed it to 36mp, i don't need the 60mp, unless i know that i will cropping.

Jul 07, 2024 at 08:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.