FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end

My second air show - image heavy

George DeCamp
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · My second air show - image heavy

RoamingScott wrote:
Thank you, that first shot was a bucket lister for sure...my wife says it looks photoshopped, like I pasted the cloud onto a blank canvas...wish there was a little more sky behind for context

Ha it's never good enough I know! I love that shot as is!!

Jul 08, 2024 at 03:43 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · My second air show - image heavy

Killer set. Terrific work and perfect SS to show prop blur. Well done.

Jul 10, 2024 at 05:21 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · My second air show - image heavy

RKnecht wrote:
Killer set. Terrific work and perfect SS to show prop blur. Well done.

Thank you Rich! I was so stoked that I got some proper blur this time around. Turns out the Z9 IBIS is way better than the Z7ii

Jul 10, 2024 at 07:52 AM
Joe Volz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · My second air show - image heavy

Those are great. Hard to pick a favorite but the Migs are really cool.

Jul 11, 2024 at 08:01 AM
EeyoreSadFace

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · My second air show - image heavy

What were the main tips and takeaways? I'm looking to attend an airshow later this year with (hopefully) a Z6iii and my 180-600 which will be a huge improvement gear wise vs my last airshow where I shot a D7000 and 150-500 Sigma.

Jul 11, 2024 at 10:05 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · My second air show - image heavy

Thanks Joe! Randy, the lead pilot of the MiG group, will occasionally buzz the lake we live on with full afterburners on a random Saturday. Always surreal

Joe Volz wrote:
Those are great. Hard to pick a favorite but the Migs are really cool.

Jul 12, 2024 at 08:40 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · My second air show - image heavy

Airplane subject detection worked really well on the Z9, I used it exclusively. For jets, 1/2500 to 1/3200 depending on light, afterburner, etc. for props, 1/320 to 1/400 is where I settled. Iím not good enough for 1/250 like some guys. Sport mode VR for panning. AF stickiness set to 5. Area AF. Delkin black CFE. HE* files. Kind of hard to go wrong!

With a bottomless buffer at 20fps, I took 10,000 shots. Every pass was about 300. Filled my 325GB card up full for the first time ever.

EeyoreSadFace wrote:
What were the main tips and takeaways? I'm looking to attend an airshow later this year with (hopefully) a Z6iii and my 180-600 which will be a huge improvement gear wise vs my last airshow where I shot a D7000 and 150-500 Sigma.

Edited on Jul 12, 2024 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2024 at 08:42 AM
Seabassius
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · My second air show - image heavy

awesome series. Were these from the ground? Some of the angles feel like you were in the air.

Jul 12, 2024 at 11:41 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · My second air show - image heavy

On the ground, 560mm compression has that effect which is great.

Seabassius wrote:
awesome series. Were these from the ground? Some of the angles feel like you were in the air.

Jul 12, 2024 at 11:51 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · My second air show - image heavy

You did a great job Scott! I was scheduled to shoot that show, but had a scheduling conflict.

Jul 12, 2024 at 01:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · My second air show - image heavy

JWilsonphoto wrote:
You did a great job Scott! I was scheduled to shoot that show, but had a scheduling conflict.

Thanks James! That's a bummer you couldn't make it out. I see you've shot at the JRB where the Cowboys' F-18 resides. What kind of connections do you need to get out there?!

Jul 12, 2024 at 05:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · My second air show - image heavy

Hi Scott,

I have captured the Thunder Over Cedar Creek for my friend Randy Ball for years. I was in Florida for this year's event and unfortunately missed it. You did a great job for a seasoned aviation shooter much less a newbie on the subject. I've been shooting at the JRB/Carswell for years,. My good friend Jeremy Boyd, a member of the 475th FS got me involved with the squadron and we've had a lot of fun together on the field shooting "Fini" flights, deployments, and other events for the group. Access to inside the fence shooting is pretty restricted, but there are some decent "spotting" locations on the field perimeter and security is generally pretty understanding if one is respectful of their responsibilities.

Keep in touch and keep up the great work!

JW

Jul 12, 2024 at 05:47 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · My second air show - image heavy

Scott, Thanks so much for sharing these amazing images. Fantastic work!

Carol

Jul 12, 2024 at 07:18 PM
RWNPhoto
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · My second air show - image heavy

RoamingScott wrote:
Airplane subject detection worked really well on the Z9, I used it exclusively. For jets, 1/2500 to 1/3200 depending on light, afterburner, etc. for props, 1/320 to 1/400 is where I settled. Iím not good enough for 1/250 like some guys. Sport mode VR for panning. AF stickiness set to 5. Area AF. Delkin black CFE. HE* files. Kind of hard to go wrong!

Shot the aperture wide open, or stop down? Auto ISO ?

Jul 13, 2024 at 09:25 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · My second air show - image heavy

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Scott,

I have captured the Thunder Over Cedar Creek for my friend Randy Ball for years. I was in Florida for this year's event and unfortunately missed it. You did a great job for a seasoned aviation shooter much less a newbie on the subject. I've been shooting at the JRB/Carswell for years,. My good friend Jeremy Boyd, a member of the 475th FS got me involved with the squadron and we've had a lot of fun together on the field shooting "Fini" flights, deployments, and other events for the group. Access to inside the fence shooting is pretty restricted,
...Show more

That is an AWESOME relationship to have! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. If you are ever shooting anything near Dallas or out East, drop me a PM!

Jul 13, 2024 at 11:43 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · My second air show - image heavy

CDalessandro wrote:
Scott, Thanks so much for sharing these amazing images. Fantastic work!

Carol

Much appreciated Carol, thank you very much!

Jul 13, 2024 at 11:43 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · My second air show - image heavy

RWNPhoto wrote:
Shot the aperture wide open, or stop down? Auto ISO ?

Always Auto ISO, always. Every single one of these were at F8, which is "wide open" at 560mm with the TC on.

Jul 13, 2024 at 11:44 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · My second air show - image heavy

incredible set!!!

Jul 13, 2024 at 12:25 PM
RWNPhoto
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · My second air show - image heavy

RoamingScott wrote:
Always Auto ISO, always. Every single one of these were at F8, which is "wide open" at 560mm with the TC on.

Thanks. Early I think you mentioned you shot with the VR in the Sport panning mode...? What did you do on a jet that came in horizontal and went vertical, or there were none at there show you shot?

Jul 13, 2024 at 07:35 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · My second air show - image heavy

RWNPhoto wrote:
Thanks. Early I think you mentioned you shot with the VR in the Sport panning mode...? What did you do on a jet that came in horizontal and went vertical, or there were none at there show you shot?

Sport works better for any direction tracking than regular. In fact, my Z9 uses Sport VR for EVERY shot including portraits.

Jul 13, 2024 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.