New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

I saw this video and was frankly shocked that such a bug might exist in a product of the SL3 camera level. This may be the worst bug in a released camera I have ever been aware of.

I post this looking for confirmation of the bug from SL3 users, and if it does exist to make users aware of it so they can develop strategies to avoid loosing important images. Maybe switching memory cards should they ever have to remove the battery mis shoot.

What do you guys think?

Jul 04, 2024 at 03:30 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

This sounds like a bug that should have easily been detected during quality assurance testing, and/or Leica doesn't use automated tools in addition to humans in its testing.

Probably not a difficult fix, but never should have seen the light of day.

Jul 04, 2024 at 03:47 PM
Boyadjian88

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

Happen to me in March, first time using the SL3 at an event.
Images started overwriting, numbering was all screwed up.
Happened once then never again.

Hopefully they fix the issue soon.

Jul 04, 2024 at 11:33 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

After watching this, I took my guy's SL3 out and shot some squirrels in the backyard. I didn't come anywhere near depleting the battery, but I switched it out for a fresh one and kept shooting. No issues, so there must be more to it than just a battery change. Maybe it's a matter of heavy usage and depleting the battery to a certain point?

My hope is that Leica addresses the problem soon, for their sake, and that it doesn't impact more casual shooters, for my sake. He's been twitchy enough about giving up the S3 in favor of the SL3. We're at a point in that process where it would be very expensive to go back, both in cash and in overall household harmony.

Jul 05, 2024 at 08:12 AM
SrMi
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

Leica has recognized that "there have been isolated cases of camera malfunctions that can lead to previously saved images being overwritten unnoticed." It occurs if the camera has not been switched off properly. They are working on a fix. The complete statement has been published on LUF.

Jul 05, 2024 at 11:23 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

Erasing images from the card is a significant firmware issue. Leica needs to consider a new software team as their reputation is being tarnished by numerous firmware complaints on their latest cameras. The SL3 is a great camera and is advertised as a professional tool. I can't imagine being a wedding photographer and having my images erased by the camera without consent.

Jul 05, 2024 at 02:44 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

SrMi wrote:
Leica has recognized that "there have been isolated cases of camera malfunctions that can lead to previously saved images being overwritten unnoticed." It occurs if the camera has not been switched off properly. They are working on a fix. The complete statement has been published on LUF.

So how does one switch off a camera properly?

Jul 05, 2024 at 03:19 PM
ZdevilH1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

I have been shooting with my SL3 for a solid 1-1/2 months now without any issues. Now, I always charge it via the USB charge port so perhaps I have been fortunate this far but have not experienced any over riding of images. In addition, I never physically turn off the camera as I have set it to go to sleep when not in use. Half pressing the shutter immediately makes the camera wake up w/o any lag. What I have noticed is that when in sleep mode for a long period of time, I do have to physically press the "on" button.
This is indeed unfortunate but I am sure that Leica will deploy a fix, but the way I have been using it, it has been a joy.

Edited on Jul 05, 2024 at 03:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2024 at 03:30 PM
Vetteman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

I received an email from Leica Service today

Jul 05, 2024 at 03:30 PM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Erasing images from the card is a significant firmware issue. Leica needs to consider a new software team as their reputation is being tarnished by numerous firmware complaints on their latest cameras. The SL3 is a great camera and is advertised as a professional tool. I can't imagine being a wedding photographer and having my images erased by the camera without consent.

Really atrocious software out of Leica lately.
I've had just about every M, SL and Q but have held off from the latest M11/SL3/Q3 generation, with the firmware issues being a meaningful part of that decision.

Jul 05, 2024 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

panos.v wrote:

If you switch the camera OFF by holding the power button for a few seconds, thereís no issue. If you pull the battery while the camera is asleep (a quick button press or timed sleep) and then restart after you can lose files. Part of the issue is thereís no way to look at the camera and tell if itís off or asleep. They need to add a permanent icon for sleep in the top LCD or have the button slowly pulse a colour while asleep. Pulling the cards while asleep also seems to help. Issue appears to be an overwrite of the FAT on wake-up.

Part of the problem is the new button. Tried to solve a problem that doesnít exist by replacing a proper switch with a push button. Seems like if the Hasselblad X camera has it, Leica will follow in the SL.

Itís a significant bug. Any commercial shooter would be devastated with losing a clients files. I see a few law suits coming as I know some wedding photographers have lost clients files due to this.

Also significant that Leica made a public statement. Must be a big deal for them as they tend to be very quiet about this stuff, normally.

I agree with Fred. New software writers and additional beta testers. I like the brand but Iím tired of cameras arriving with beta firmware at release. Not good enough.

Gordon

Jul 05, 2024 at 05:09 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

I guess the bug in itself is bad enough but the thing that really blows my mind is that 4 months after people experiencing the issue there is still no fix!!

Jul 05, 2024 at 07:20 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

For me no problems with my SL3, but I do manually turn it off regularly and never change batteries while on.

I also received Leica's email, but have not had time to give it serious study as playing with my Hasselblads-old and new is occupying my time. Actually liking the 100C on my 903SWC and 503CW with many nice old CF lenses. Then switching to film so that I can fill a suitcase for future chemical developing.

Jul 05, 2024 at 07:37 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

As regards Leica QC, I seems perhaps their current work ethics, as reported by a member here who visited the actual working areas lately, are contributing too much toward a relaxed attitude, which to me seemed very un-German. How can they be "working at full speed" to solve the issue when staffing in work areas is from what I recall being said was at about the 40% level.

For most years of my life, buying German made products was buying quality. Today-very disappointing to see what's happening, especially with the prices ever climbing.

Jul 05, 2024 at 08:01 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

It's not just Leica. Sony's had a few recent failures in the firmware department with their flagships that should be humiliating for them.

Jul 05, 2024 at 08:29 PM
SrMi
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

panos.v wrote:

By turning it off (longer press on power button) instead of leaving it in sleep or active.

Jul 06, 2024 at 08:50 AM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

"Part of the issue is thereís no way to look at the camera and tell if itís off or asleep. "

This seems poorly designed.

The HB 907x blinks the power light so you know that it's still on but asleep.. seems like a simple fix but pretty basic mistake.

Jul 06, 2024 at 09:10 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

flash wrote:
If you switch the camera OFF by holding the power button for a few seconds, thereís no issue. If you pull the battery while the camera is asleep (a quick button press or timed sleep) and then restart after you can lose files. Part of the issue is thereís no way to look at the camera and tell if itís off or asleep. They need to add a permanent icon for sleep in the top LCD or have the button slowly pulse a colour while asleep. Pulling the cards while asleep also seems to help. Issue appears to be an
...Show more

So it sounds like the engineer responsible for file storage never talked to the person sorting out the on/off circuit whilst the product manager never bothered explaining to them how a user might use the "thing".

And here is the problem: Leica hardware/firmware people are approaching the issue from a purely engineering perspective vs actually thinking how the user would approach it. A "works for me" culture where "works for me" is followed by "you just need to do this and that and whatever". Where the engineers are let loose, noone actually reminding them who they design this stuff for and, crucially, reminding them a simple fact: when people pay six thousand pounds a piece they should not have to mentally jump through hoops on fire while dodging a lion to make the product work. I can almost visualise the conversation where the issue is now reported and the engineers thinking to themselves "how can people have 6k to drop on something yet be so stupid as to not understand basic computer interfaces and electronics? Ah...those stupid users...".

It is a typical immature engineering culture where there is no person responsible for the actual product design and experience. Also an engineering culture where work is cut to pieces that are completed self-contained, with noone owning the end to end process.

I bet they got some consultant to do them some "agile software practices" training too. Makes you wonder how previous cameras did not have those issues...Luck, most likely.

Jul 06, 2024 at 01:19 PM
fededuran
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

I own and suffer the M11 & M11M and have seriously considered selling all my (digital) Leica gear. As a brand, you canít ask for the highest price and offer in exchange garbage software implementations. The legendary stuff sounds great the first time, and we all know those photographers that made history using M2s and M3s, but we are talking here about a very poor digital experience. I use several different brands such as Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm and Ricoh. None of those organizations have ever delivered, at least to me, a faulty camera.

My M11M worked flawlessly from scratch, but every new firmware caused issues, the last being the shutter not working well. My M11 has been a mess from the start. Then I use my Nikon Z8, yes, uglier and heavier indeed, and find myself enjoying it way more than my Leicas.

Listen, Wetzlar, hire people from your competition and fire your entire software division. Otherwise, youíll kill your reputation faster than you think.

Fred Miranda wrote:

Jul 06, 2024 at 04:07 PM
stgrove
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica SL3 Very Bad Firmware bug?

fededuran wrote:
The legendary stuff sounds great the first time, and we all know those photographers that made history using M2s and M3s, but we are talking here about a very poor digital experience. I use several different brands such as Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm and Ricoh. None of those organizations have ever delivered, at least to me, a faulty camera.

Listen, Wetzlar, hire people from your competition and fire your entire software division. Otherwise, youíll kill your reputation faster than you think.

Good point about past photographers who made the Leica brand synonymous with great images, etc, etc. How right you are that those photographers used pre-digital Leicas. Glad I own a few.

Leica always brings in their past successes when explaining how great they are. I think the term now is how great they "were" when comparing film cameras with their modern digital cameras.

My M9's worked wonderfully and I naively assumed the next variations would be just as trouble free, but as years progressed it seems Leica has not kept pace with software electronics. My first disappointment was when the M246 could not reveal a RAW DNG preview like its predecessor the M9M could, but they pontificated how it could now shoot video.. Sure it took perhaps 30 seconds, but viewing a RAW on the LCD was fabulous technology. Even Jono Slack when asked told me the M246 could preview a RAW DNG just like the M9M. He was wrong. And as he said he uses an M for photos, not video.

Like someone said Leica should change their beta testers too who let this fault slip right on by. Using the same old people has now cost them when pros advise other pros and anyone considering the purchase of an SL3, not to currently buy an SL3 until this issue is truly resolved.

Maybe Leica should cancel holidays and get these engineers back to work on resolving the issue NOW instead of sometime in the future when they feel like working on it in earnest with a nice suntan, while those who indirectly paid for their vacations continue to suffer under inferior software engineering design.

Jul 06, 2024 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.